Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the sensor, to switch on the lights, is on the blue panel to the left of the front lights.

It seems to be temperature-sensitive.

:lol

Para always takes nice pics, so let that be said - & nice pics all round folks. I guess the way he's got R2 leaning back like that, distorts the scale somewhat.

Those straight up & down shots of R2 with Tamashii C-3PO look good actually.

Hello!
Does anyone sell a dome? I don't care if it doesn't work or if it's a bit broken. Greetings!

I keep wanting to pull the trigger on this, but every time I come close I see negative comments on the product.

@Parra: Thank you for your wisdom and your patience, sir!

@Isaac: I agree with Matrix that the positives far outweigh any negatives. If you're interested based on the pics there's no way you'd be disappointed when you get it. Just know that it's pretty light and you'll be fine.

I got mine but I have no idea how to remove the dome.

I have mixed feelings about this figure, it feels unbelievably cheap and the grey paint wash doesn't help. On the other hand... it's R2D2.

these 2 figures make your display look way cooler!! I mean with 3PO.

image.jpg

Mine arrived from Disney right on time, so my brother came two days later from USA to Peru and brought it.
Looks nice at first because the sculpt is great. Then you see the terrible weathering, the seams on the dome and the lightness. They make it look like a Power of the Force Hasbro toy. Worse, the price does not justify being all plastic, too much for a completed model kit. All the silver parts could've been made die-cast for more weight and realism. The light gimmick is great though, perhaps the best thing on this toy. It only needed the classic beep sounds for more fun.
Well, if you have the skills, you can make R2 look better so that is what I did. You either weather it more or make it look cleaner. I made a little bit of both. The upper lense on the dome came detached. No chance to return this thing, so I had to fix it myself. A bit tedious but not that difficult, you can see how the electronics work. Next thing, took all the dust weathering on the dome with Isopropil alcohol. Thank god it only takes the dust paint out and not the silver and blue. The dome now shines great, looks like metal; the seams look more prominent but I can live with that. Painted the edges of the blue plates black. It gives more depth like they were separate pieces and does not look poorly painted. Also some slight weathering for more realism. Minor weathering on all the silver parts, now they look like metal. Adding black paint inside the center grilles is a must.
In resume, this toy untouched should cost US$80 at most. But, it is the best sculpt in 1/6 scale so far and my Tamashi 3PO needed his counterpart. For US$120, can't complain coz I was about to buy R2 from Sideshow for US$40 more.
dome1.jpgdome2.jpgartu1.jpgartu2.jpgartu3.jpgartu4.jpgartu5.jpgartu6.jpg

You just have to hold the blue and silver rings in place when turning the dome.

Thank you! Got it now.

Having sent a lot of time with this figure I'm starting to understand the love/ hate reaction to it - it is perfectly possible to love it and hate it at the same time. When I first got it out it felt really cheap and nasty, and I don't understand why they made it so grey. I know it's meant to be weathering but it's not very good. The dome in particular is covered in grey crud. Then one of the attachments broke when I put it (carefully) into the arm; the doors don't close properly; and when I tried the lights they didn't work either. And in general I'm worried that if I sneeze in the same room R2 will explode into a pile of broken springs and plastic.

But eventually I worked out how to turn the lights on - why they couldn't have made it clearer in the instructions is beyond me - and they looked stellar, far exceeding my expectations. The multitude of little plastic doors does add to the impression of cheapness, but it's also a hugely impressive design feat. I can't see anyone else ever making an R2 that is such a box of tricks. The accessories are great, especially the holo Leia (realistically I can't see myself ever using the drinks tray). And the sculpt in general looks great (I'm sure there's R2 nerds that would disagree).

I love it AND I hate it.

Honestly I got mine I think you guys exaggerate at how easy it is to be broken. If you drop any sideshow figure from 2m some part wil break. Who cares which breaks into more pieces.

Too much whinging. If it was full die cast it would cost double then people would complain. To be honest people complain a lot here.

I haven't really been tracking with thread much but seems there are lots of complaints. I got mine last week and have only tinkered with it a bit. The compartments are a bit flimsy but I'll never mess with those much.

I love R2, he looks great and soon as I opened it I felt like! a giddy kid. I sold my chogokin C-3PO. Look forward to sideshow's to pair with this.

I've dropped figures before and nothing broke apart like R2 did when he rolled off my shelf. Nothing. I don't know what's been said lately about this figure but some of the things said when it first shipped were accurate. No exaggeration there.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Back