Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recieved last week, the 1/6 R2 D2 from Sideshow, I bought this together with Boba Fett.
Very fun looking figure, but oh boy does it feel cheap! Very plastic, and very light of weight.
Sadly this week and a half, I also encoutered a couple of problems with my hauls.
But lets start with R2 D2

This turning lens/camera on the backside of this dome, was loose inside the dome, and I had to reglue it, this was only possible, after I had to unscrew the entire dome, thank god I was able to fix this.

His life form scanner, wouldn’t stay up, and kept falling inside his dome. I was affraid to pull hard on it, but sadly this seemed the only way for it to stay up.

His serving tray, 1 shelf broke upon applying it onto the figure, again I had to superglue this.

His “arms”, where you can place the accesories in, don’t keep their position, you really have to keep it at a certain angle with the doors closing it up, to keep its position.

And oh what a mess to hide the lightsaber! This really is hard to do with human sized fingers, to keep the latch from closing up, while trying to get the saber in.

In short, R2 LOOKS amazing, the paint and weathering is very good, but as soon as you want to play around with it for a bit, he kinda sucks.
If R2 also produced his wel known sounds, it would have justified his current price, is my opinon.
I hope the Sideshow C3PO is built better.

Picking mine up in a few hours. Looking forward to the hot looks and the cheap and fast feeling. Wink wink. Get in, get out, put'em on the shelf, wham bam.

Ok, he's in hand. I have to question the sanity of people saying this feels "cheap" in hand - with respect to the 1/6 hobby in general of course. Obviously if you gave this or pretty much any other 1/6 figure to someone not involved with the hobby they'd have a fit upon hearing the prices, just before trying to put you in a mental hospital.

This isn't as tank-like as a kids toy, because it's not a toy, but it feels in hand just like I'd expect it to - pretty much like any other 1/6 figure, taking into account of course there's no fabric on this guy. Panels are thin to keep them in scale - can't start thickening stuff up just to make the thing feel heavier.

There are some blemishes on the plastics which I don't think should be there for a product in this market - but judging by all the photos I've seen, I know there's no point in an exchange as I won't get anything better. This is the most significant criticism I can give.

I had no problems handling R2 like I would any other figure, not especially delicately, but not like I'm fitting a garden hose on a bib or changing wheels on a car either. All the compartments stay closed when he's flipped right over. All the compartments on his head seem to work fine and everything extends and stays where it's supposed to with a slight effort on the pull. I will never put the lightsaber hilt inside the compartment - I can tell just by operating the panel it could be a nightmare to remove should it keep banging on an edge (flipping upside-down would be easiest). All the accessories are still in the box - tray, drinks and tools - I won't be using them, won't even take them out to try them on.

The table is pretty low quality WRT fit - the seam is dollar-store toy level and I really expected more here. It's the wrong scale, but I already knew that going in. I'll use it, but eventually I'd probably like to make my own, since Ben's Hut is the scene I'd like to display this guy in (along with Tama 3PO, ANH Luke and Old Ben).

The table will be no problem to outfit and operate with one of my battery eliminators - switching together with other items or shelf lighting no problem. R2 himself is another matter. The adapter fitment and functionality won't be an issue - I should have something final shortly. But, to activate the lights, I'm 99% sure will still require touching the panel on the side of his dome - in other words, it may not ever be possible to control his lighting via one of my remote controls or together with shelf lighting and other accessories. I'll be confirming this next week or the week after and possibly trying to figure out how to override the touch-switch.

The thickness of the component walls has nothing to do with how 'cheap' it feels, it's the tolerancing. Despite the lack of anticipated in-hand weight, thicker panels wouldn't add much in that regard. But panels that flip open at the slightest of angles and legs that don't easily hold position - plus an average paint app, easily broken tray and prominent seams = feels cheap in hand.

No issues with legs or panels opening by themselves, but I can understand how this can easily happen. I do have one rubber o-ring out of position on the inside which provides the resistance for the legs, but it's not affecting performance. The figure itself is about as "flimsy" or "finicky" or "delicate" as most any other 1/6 figure I have that has a bunch of parts/accessories on them (whether it be Sideshow's, Hot Toys' or someone else's).

Yeah...I had cancelled the exclusive at the last minute because I was iffy about the initial in-hand photos. After many more in-hand photos arrived I picked up the regular and I'm quite happy with it. Don't use any of the accessories or tools.

I like the idea of the tools, they're just not needed for the particular display I want to set up - 4 figures plus the table and hologram in one shot, can't beat that for quality/quantity per square inch of display space. ;)

I hope you'll be able to override the touch activation on R2. Your future powering system for C-3PO and R2 looks interesting to me. I was about to remove the batteries from them and let go of the lightning feature before seeing your posts.

Ok, he's in hand. I have to question the sanity of people saying this feels "cheap" in hand - with respect to the 1/6 hobby in general of course. Obviously if you gave this or pretty much any other 1/6 figure to someone not involved with the hobby they'd have a fit upon hearing the prices, just before trying to put you in a mental hospital.

This isn't as tank-like as a kids toy, because it's not a toy, but it feels in hand just like I'd expect it to - pretty much like any other 1/6 figure, taking into account of course there's no fabric on this guy. Panels are thin to keep them in scale - can't start thickening stuff up just to make the thing feel heavier.

There are some blemishes on the plastics which I don't think should be there for a product in this market - but judging by all the photos I've seen, I know there's no point in an exchange as I won't get anything better. This is the most significant criticism I can give.

I had no problems handling R2 like I would any other figure, not especially delicately, but not like I'm fitting a garden hose on a bib or changing wheels on a car either. All the compartments stay closed when he's flipped right over. All the compartments on his head seem to work fine and everything extends and stays where it's supposed to with a slight effort on the pull. I will never put the lightsaber hilt inside the compartment - I can tell just by operating the panel it could be a nightmare to remove should it keep banging on an edge (flipping upside-down would be easiest). All the accessories are still in the box - tray, drinks and tools - I won't be using them, won't even take them out to try them on.

The table is pretty low quality WRT fit - the seam is dollar-store toy level and I really expected more here. It's the wrong scale, but I already knew that going in. I'll use it, but eventually I'd probably like to make my own, since Ben's Hut is the scene I'd like to display this guy in (along with Tama 3PO, ANH Luke and Old Ben).

The table will be no problem to outfit and operate with one of my battery eliminators - switching together with other items or shelf lighting no problem. R2 himself is another matter. The adapter fitment and functionality won't be an issue - I should have something final shortly. But, to activate the lights, I'm 99% sure will still require touching the panel on the side of his dome - in other words, it may not ever be possible to control his lighting via one of my remote controls or together with shelf lighting and other accessories. I'll be confirming this next week or the week after and possibly trying to figure out how to override the touch-switch.

Never understood the hate this figure received. Yeah, seemed like any other 1/6 figure in-hand, though mine only had very minor opening/floppy hatches issues. On the shelf it looks awesome. If it was 10% bigger, I would be done with R2.

My batteries die really quick in this guy. I change them and by the following week they are dead. Not even having used the feature much at all. I've resorted to turning the switch off to see if I get the same results. I'll post my findings.

My batteries die really quick in this guy. I change them and by the following week they are dead. Not even having used the feature much at all. I've resorted to turning the switch off to see if I get the same results. I'll post my findings.

Yeah, I posted about this a few months back. Someone told me that unless you switch it off under the dome, it still uses a tiny amount of power. I had the same thing happen - barely used the lights but the batteries were dead within a few weeks.

That's crazy. I've had mine since I got it in late February and I only use the feature occasionally--couple times a week, but it still works fine and it's been on the "on" setting the whole time.

Wow. Maybe mine is just pulling more juice. Could be bad batteries but I bought brand new ones from walmart. It could also be my 5 year old. She likes to play with R2 when I'm at work.

Same here. I've had it on the "on" position and turn the lights on every once in a while and they seem to work fine.

Still love my R2, but it DOES feel cheap to me. It's the loose doors that make it feel cheap. They rattle and swing open extremely easily. I mentioned when I first got it that I was lightly blowing some dust off the dome, and one of the dome hatches (I think the lightsaber one) flew open! I mean, come on! The fact that the fit of the doors and hinges needed to be more precise makes it seem like not enough care was put into designing and assembling them. It's pretty much like getting a figure with floppy joints--it just feels cheap.

However once you know what to expect and get used to how to handle the little droid, you get past all that. I am perfectly happy with it because it really looks great on display, and I can consider the R2 slot in my collection filled.

The only thing that annoys me is the periscope and life scanner design. I feel like much cheaper toys have figured out how to make things like this spring loaded and functional. I get one to stay up and then I close the detolf door and it falls down.

You have to pull a little more forcefully to lock them on place.

I've now got the lights coming on by default but it's not possible to activate the projector without another switch. For my own figure going to replace the projector LED so it's not controlled by the stock circuit.

Pull too forcefully and you'll rip it right out though. Just not the best design. People have had different experience with this too, some stay up better than others. :wink1:

Back