Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got to open mine today, and while he looks greta I have a few issues. the metal plate inside the long door fell out as soon as I opened it, which wasn't a huge deal, but was a bit nerve wracking to glue back in. The body doors are otherwise good, the flaps on his head are fairly loose, and the larger scanner needs some fussing to stay up. The radar dish popped up well, almost too well, and extended far enough to see the spring, it works well now.

My biggest issue is with the table. the little disc in the centre looks to be half painted shut. no matter what I try, it's not coming out short of cutting it out. I've emailed for a replacement. Bit disappointing there, but no biggy as long as they can send one, my only concern is getting it international, I don't remember the last piece I had issues with, and don't want to pay fees crossing the border again.

Huh. You don't have to pull that hard, so you're probably right. It clicks right into place.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The ace in the hole would have been if this had included a sound chip. If Hasbro can put sound chips into a 3 3/4" action figure that sold for ten bucks I don't see why this couldn't have had one. Probably shouldn't be too hard to mod one either for guys like Pixelpiper.

My thoughts too...wtf Sideshow? This is a knee to the balls for collectors.

Yeah, I can get it out that high, maybe higher, but nothing clicks in place. I thought maybe the end of the pole was wider to tighten a hold in the hole, but that's not the case with mine. I'll give it another go later ... but I think I may just end up pulling it right out of the head if I pull any harder than I have.

When it "clicks" into place does it sound like just plastic on plastic or does it sound spring loaded?

At least when I close it, the panel lies flush. That's more of a concern for me.

The ace in the hole would have been if this had included a sound chip. If Hasbro can put sound chips into a 3 3/4" action figure that sold for ten bucks I don't see why this couldn't have had one. Probably shouldn't be too hard to mod one either for guys like Pixelpiper.

The sound samples were very likely in memory of the reader. The bases for those figures were just an rf id so the reader knew which sounds to play

Last edited:

I think of all the "complaints" or wishes I have for this figure, sound is the one. Sure, some doors fling loose, things are a little wobbly for some features but unless we want to pay $400 for an Artoo with a metal frame/skeleton inside with much more precise cuts and features, this is what you get for this price point. But since half of the entire personality of R2-D2 comes from his "voice", it seemed like a no brainer on this figure. I didn't expect it when I purchased it since I knew it was not a feature so I don't feel ripped off after buying it but a little sound chip with a tiny speaker would have been an amazing add-on. Heck, maybe even a better Exclusive than the extra little arms.

The sound samples were very likely in memory of the reader. The bases for those figures were just an rf id so the reader knew which sounds to play
I hated the sound reader thingy... After that 'innovation' had long since gathered dust on collectors' shelves, Hasbro released a 3-3/4 R2D2 that contained a sound chip AND front light, all inside the small figure itself- no reader involved. I have one. SS could have done it cheaply and easily.

Plastic on plastic.

Yeah, I think mine is just not thick enough to really hold well.

I hated the sound reader thingy... After that 'innovation' had long since gathered dust on collectors' shelves, Hasbro released a 3-3/4 R2D2 that contained a sound chip AND front light, all inside the small figure itself- no reader involved. I have one. SS could have done it cheaply and easily.

I have that R2 somewhere myself. Love to take the chip out and place it in this R2. Problem is activating it on and off.

Are you sure, and are you talking about Commtech? I'm pretty sure there was a sound R2 apart from the commtech ones.

The periscope for me won't hold if i keep it in the same position it initially pops out at and pull up, in fact they both seem to work best if I pull with steady force and rotate slightly as I do so. Then they stay up all day.
It seems to work better the more I do it. So maybe it's just getting it that first time.

I finally mustered up the guts to attack the dome with an alcohol swab. It's hard to make out in the photos, but doing this not only produces a more realistic-looking weathering effect but it really brings out more of the shine from the silver paint underneath, making the surface look more like polished metal.

BTW, I used a 70% alcohol solution with some cotton balls, dabbing firmly over the large silver areas and swabbing softly around the edges with a Q-tip. Wiping across the surface created streaks, so I ended up taking a little more of the weathering off than I wanted to clean those areas up. Overall, though, I'm pleased with the results. Props again to Lopie for the tip! :wave

I've been watching The Empire Strikes Back too much recently and Yoda's speech patterns, taking over my mind, they are.

Sideshow aren't Hot Toys. SS stuff will usually sell out, even if it takes some time. There are Hot Toys stuff now like the Crow and some Man of Steel figures that will still be around for the next Spook.

Look at the stem compared to the opening in my second pic. That's why I took it.

I did see that. So it doesn't work as I supposed. I just can't seem to find that sweet-spot... assuming mine ever had it.

If its not pressure against the opening, I wonder what it is that's 'locking' into place on those that work?

If Hasbro can put sound chips into a 3 3/4" action figure that sold for ten bucks I don't see why this couldn't have had one. Probably shouldn't be too hard to mod one either for guys like Pixelpiper.

I have some samples on the way from China of various sound modules which I'll be testing for a few projects. Fingers crossed I can get something into R2. It's much more difficult doing it after-the-fact and using commodity parts. Sideshow could have easily done it from the design stage - from the photos I've seen there was plenty of space. They've claimed there wasn't enough space and I'm not going to comment on why they've said that, but even with my limited engineering background, I could have done it. :)

So I finally just took the head off so I could get better angles on the life scanner and it does seem to hold better the more I work it. I have found two positions now that will hold -- allow very precariously, the slight tap will make it fall -- but its enough for a picture and seems to hold at the same point all the others do. It just doesn't have a very strong hold, unlike my periscope which really locks in place.

Anyway, good enough, thank you devilof76!

Sideshow aren't Hot Toys. SS stuff will usually sell out, even if it takes some time. There are Hot Toys stuff now like the Crow and some Man of Steel figures that will still be around for the next Spook.

I don't mind that though... I loved when they used the Pirates of the Caribbean Angelica as packing material last year haha.

Back