Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But will you be happy? :)

Happier than I will be trying to figure out a spot to display the monstrosities that are Jabba's throne or the Hulkbuster. I'm out of real estate for stuff that big. Just not a fan of the look of the Hulkbuster. I do love Jabba from ROTJ but the problem is the setup is never complete. You need Bib, Gamorrean Guards, Oola, Wooof, Max Rebo, etc and on and on. That setup will never be complete.

But yeah, I am very happy with the recent MK 6 diecast and pretty sure I'll be happy with the incoming Hoth Leia and Tarkin:dance

To recap,

Then, Emperor and Throne was $235 from SSC.

Now, Emperor and Throne is $300 from HT.

Then, Jabba and Throne from SSC was $300.

Now, Jabba and Throne from SSC is $800.

Boy, that inflation sure is a *****. I wonder why it doesn't affect companies based in Hong Kong?

I can't think of any reason to buy this from SSC. It's seriously a kick in the shorts. Absolutely unreasonable.

If SSC can't figure out a way to keep costs down, they simply do not deserve anyone's business.

To recap,

Boy, that inflation sure is a *****. I wonder why it doesn't affect companies based in Hong Kong?

I can't think of any reason to buy this from SSC. It's seriously a kick in the shorts. Absolutely unreasonable.

If SSC can't figure out a way to keep costs down, they simply do not deserve anyone's business.

Hear! Hear!

If you're not outraged enough, I hear Sideshow is working on a 1/6th Skiff that will be $1,299.99.

It will have a electronic-touch "plank" that extends.

But it will be so heavy that it will sag on its stand in a year.

IT`S almost the same mold except for his tail being straighten out instead of it being curled like there first release and if you look at the sculpt the face looks the same except for where you can see the lines to where you can switch out for the eyes and mouth pieces.

This was out of nowhere.
I had the original a few years back and later sold it. - I regret selling it and wish I had kept it. I have been looking to replace it. If it’s sooo expensive now.
I’ve pre-ordered. It’s not prefect. Neither was the original.
Is it too expensive? Yes. But 300 quid for Luke snowspeeder? That’s expensive
This is like two and a bit figures in cost. Too much for sure and I wouldn’t be buying it as an upgrade but I think it will sell. It won’t be a massive production run.

I am pretty sure Jabba is polystone... look at the inside of the arms in one of the pics. The swapout parts are easier to handle in poly too.
I guess Jabba and Throne Poly. Accessories and Salacious PVC.

Pros:
Color

Cons:
Straight tail
SEAMS
Salacious thick muscular arms and legs
Price

I am sticking with my old repainted Jabba and Throne setup. I can remember times when collectors where complaining like crazy about Dewbacks price of 299,--.
I dont get why those nowaday prices are not leading to the biggest outcry....

About HT: Everybody mentions HT should do Jabba. I could be wrong but my guess for a HT version of Jabba is a fully poseable one. Maybe with crazy obvious joints or with a rubbercoat (of which we ALL know what quality HT rubbers are...). So i am not too keen about a HT Jabba tbh.

The panic like release schedule for this points at SSC expecting Hot Toys to do a Jabba from the upcoming Solo movie. Of course he will be in that... he has to be. So would that be a ‘younger’ or smaller looking version or a version that could be displayed as a ROTJ Jabba... ? potentially the version we will see in Solo could be based on how he looks in PM or even in ANH - ‘snailing’ himself around... hope not.
And also, would a HT Jabba be posable? ...I don’t need Jabba to be posable...
I am considering, as I’m sure I could do a good repaint of the original SSC release, to get that if the price goes down considerably on eBay - or in the trade section...

Sideshow Collectibles, selling stuff with early NECA quality for Hot Toys prices.

To recap,

I second this notion. I mean it doesn't even look that good proto paint/detailing, can't imagine how bland the production paint will look on this 800$ collectible. Easy pass as i only want the main characters from RotJ anyways.

The panic like release schedule for this points at SSC expecting Hot Toys to do a Jabba from the upcoming Solo movie. Of course he will be in that... he has to be. So would that be a ‘younger’ or smaller looking version or a version that could be displayed as a ROTJ Jabba... ? potentially the version we will see in Solo could be based on how he looks in PM or even in ANH - ‘snailing’ himself around... hope not.
And also, would a HT Jabba be posable? ...I don’t need Jabba to be posable...
I am considering, as I’m sure I could do a good repaint of the original SSC release, to get that if the price goes down considerably on eBay - or in the trade section...

Jabba in Solo should look like something between Phantom Menace and A New Hope as that’s the timeline where Solo lands.

I'm on the fence, I've got the Gentle Giant version which I believe is 1/8 scale, looks really good with the band and jawa.
It's one of my nicest pieces.
This is obviously bigger, but do I need 2 versions.
Does anyone else with GG version getting this one?

I personally think this new Jabba looks horrible, were they smoking from his crack pipe when they thought a Mr. Potato Head approach would look good? Yeah it has a better paint job but the seamlines and cartoonish sculpt ruins it for me and above all that the price.

:rotfl

tenor.gif

I'm a little late to this party and at the risk of sounding like an echo, here's my take (much like a lot of other folks)

This was a surprise to see-came out of nowhere like...the Jedi Luke Deluxe! At least that one looks like some bang for the buck with all of the wardrobe options of the character in one package. And I think the portrait is closer to how Mark looked in ROTJ than the (admittedly better quality) HT one....that's why I'm going for that one and not the HT to update that character.

Not digging the "plug n' play" features. The eyes aren't so bad, but the lower jaw/chin really call themselves out with the seams, making it more "toy-like" and distracting from the look. An alternate head might've worked better here. The original release had the better looking sculpt, I think. While the paint apps on the original may not have been as effective as they could have been (although at the time of release, there were some great shots of the customizing crowd doing some great repaints), these new apps are really overdone and heavy. Considering how most of the time the production pieces have final apps that are much less intense, that could end up working to this new version's advantage. But it's the little things that add up on the new one that don't quite work. The curled tail on the original looked good on the throne. The whole area on and around the head looks strangely proportioned compared to the original and the screen version. Someone commented earlier that it looked more like the cartoon version - they're right.

The throne is nice but....again, the paint is a little over the top. I reallu like the muted shades on the original. While the rugs and pillows look well-rendered, they look more "Pier One" than "Jabba's Palace" a little too sharp and new for that hutt.

And the price, always the price. Pointless to carp too much on that. They'll keep charging as much as they can-why not? Won't the joke by on everyone if the edition is so limited that anyone who wants this that misses it will be seeing near-grand prices on the aftermarket? Perish the thought...

If they offered Jabba separately, without the throne, I might consider it if the production pieces turn out well. Sideshow can still crank out some good stuff. I'm enjoying the recently released Dengar and Zuckuss, two figures that may not be at quite the level of the prototypes, are still really good looking figures. I just don't think this set is pulling at me to replace the one I've got. Maybe the audience for this is more the folks that never picked up that set.

One has to wonder though...is Sideshow revisiting all of their previous releases with new, more expensive versions? I hope not. I'd rather see them take a crack at new stuff that they (or other companies) haven't done before. More aliens, more soldiers, more off the stuff they are really consistently good at. With all of the development resources they are pouring into these re-dos, that's less they can put towards some new pieces. How about more environments? An Eopie? A Wampa? A Landspeeder?

Whew...I guess inflation hit my "two cents" there...went one a bit more than I expected to on this one :)

:goodpost:

I'm not gonna hate. The seams and price aside. It looks pretty damn good. Maybe if things are going well for me I'll pick it up. I had Han, I had luke, but I never had any jabba as a kid. I think that alone makes it more meaningful to have. My biggest issue will probably be the space. The depth is insane. Too big even for my besta.

As far as pricing goes, I’m sure the difference between 2007 and 2018 is also impacted by Disney not owning rights back in 2007, Disney brand carries a hefty price tag on all their merchandise.

As far as pricing goes, I’m sure the difference between 2007 and 2018 is also impacted by Disney not owning rights back in 2007, Disney brand carries a hefty price tag on all their merchandise.

Good point. Hard to find alot of SW toys even under $15 these days.

Back