Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone happen to have this little hole on their Jabba? And does anyone know why it would be there? I didn't see a hole on my similar SSC resin/polystone items.
Screenshot_2019-02-14-07-53-34-1.jpg

I think I would have noticed that but I'll check when I get home from work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

BBTS won't get him for another 6 months anyway. By then, there will be cancelations... or should I say a cancelation. :lol

Did anyone get this from Timewalker? Did they actually ship thru Sideshow for $29?

I bought mine through TW. One the plus side only $755 for Jabba. On the downside $66 for shipping (from SS). I should have just gotten it at Sideshow and earned the RP for it.

BBTS won't get him for another 6 months anyway. By then, there will be cancelations... or should I say a cancelation. :lol

Did anyone get this from Timewalker? Did they actually ship thru Sideshow for $29?

Well how about that. Its back for preorder on BBTS.

So after inspecting my Jabba, I'm a bit disappointed. lol - it reminds me of one of those cheap and breakable ceramic (or whatever they were) things that were airbrushed/sloppily hand painted it'd see at the Jocky Lot back in the old days (this huge flea market here). The kind of things that old redneck people would get.....but Jabba's waaaay nicer.

There's just a lot of imperfections on it. Like a lot of excess little pieces of material or tiny chunks taken out. Something you wouldn't notice with a piece like the Tauntaun due to the fur. And definitely didn't see any of that with areas of the Dewback. So I don't know, maybe this one is made out of a cheaper material than those/rushed a bit.

The little issues aren't something noticeable unless you get up close. So at a normal viewing distance, it looks amazing. I just would've preferred a nice smooth material. The original vinyl one is certainly duller with detail; but I like that it doesn't have the amount of imperfections and won't shatter. The mouthpieces are very lite.

Luckily, my Salacious arrived undamaged. It doesn't feel as fragile as I thought it would. Not that I didn't know this already, but it is odd that they didn't paint the hair on the tips of the ears. A pretty easy fix, but certainly should've been painted. As pointed out with the satin finish, it does give it a cheaper look. Oh yeah, the statues I was referring to..some of them were clowns from what I remember.

Yikes. Ordered through Timewalker, $61.36 shipping direct from Sideshow to Wisconsin; I guess their going to get their blood money, one way or another.

So after inspecting my Jabba, I'm a bit disappointed. lol - it reminds me of one of those cheap and breakable ceramic (or whatever they were) things that were airbrushed/sloppily hand painted it'd see at the Jocky Lot back in the old days (this huge flea market here). The kind of things that old redneck people would get.....but Jabba's waaaay nicer.

There's just a lot of imperfections on it. Like a lot of excess little pieces of material or tiny chunks taken out. Something you wouldn't notice with a piece like the Tauntaun due to the fur. And definitely didn't see any of that with areas of the Dewback. So I don't know, maybe this one is made out of a cheaper material than those/rushed a bit.

The little issues aren't something noticeable unless you get up close. So at a normal viewing distance, it looks amazing. I just would've preferred a nice smooth material. The original vinyl one is certainly duller with detail; but I like that it doesn't have the amount of imperfections and won't shatter. The mouthpieces are very lite.

Luckily, my Salacious arrived undamaged. It doesn't feel as fragile as I thought it would. Not that I didn't know this already, but it is odd that they didn't paint the hair on the tips of the ears. A pretty easy fix, but certainly should've been painted. As pointed out with the satin finish, it does give it a cheaper look. Oh yeah, the statues I was referring to..some of them were clowns from what I remember.

Unfortunate to hear - are you going to do the dullcote? That may be the key to taking care of the "cheap ceramic" look aspect. It would scare me to do it though in case there is some kind of chemical reaction between the dullcote and the Jabba paint over time. Knowing my luck after a couple of months it would go tacky or something (I've had that happen.) I don't think I'll do it and just deal with the sheen.

And a bummer it couldn't have been as good as the dewback in terms of the imperfections. I wonder if the shift from polystone (which also doesn't have any sheen aspects) on the Dewback to resin/fiberglass for Jabba impacted the finer end of quality of finish/imperfections.

Polystone was supposedly chosen because of the level of detail or accuracy it delivered but maybe the Jabba swap-out pieces needed finer tolerances - the neck seam/gap on the Tauntaun is pretty glaring and that kind of gap would have been bad news for the Jabba eyes/mouth pieces.

The fragility of this is a little scary - the old one you could probably drop from three feet with no issues - but at least it's not polystone which would have been even more fragile and probably weighed 50% more. The reality is, this guy is a 1/6 giant.

If I were to use Dullcoat, I would go very light with it, since I think that could risk making it look flat and cheap as well if you use too much. You still need a bit of sheen to help give the skin that translucent look it needs.

I think what I'd probably try is some chalk pastel to knock down the shine a bit here and there, and help give the figure a less hard plastic look.

Back