Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a shame they did make it in one piece. My frog bowl had the paper sticking to it and left some unremovable marks from some residue.

To replace it, the whole base now has to be sent instead of just a part of it.

Nonetheless, this Janna is a brilliant addition to my collection.

Sorry to hear that. Mine had a lot of little polystrene bits statically attached all over but no permanent marks.

But yeah, it's one of those breathtaking 1/6 releases that really has to be seen in-hand to truly comprehend it. I have to say that very few pics I've seen really capture what this set it like in-hand. The Jabba figure itself looks much better than at least 3/4 of pics show him looking like.

I would say the only thing I had a problem with on my figure is that he was a little shiny in places, but a little matte clear very lightly brushed in those places takes care of it and the fix is invisible.

Yeah he looks really good in hand. Better than I thought he would.

There?s a lot you can do with him too. A lot

I want to get a palace backdrop made for him. Not my thing. I am a carpenter. I can make stuff out wood. This will need a stony look. I am also good with tile and stone. Hmmm..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that. Mine had a lot of little polystrene bits statically attached all over but no permanent marks.

But yeah, it's one of those breathtaking 1/6 releases that really has to be seen in-hand to truly comprehend it. I have to say that very few pics I've seen really capture what this set it like in-hand. The Jabba figure itself looks much better than at least 3/4 of pics show him looking like.

I would say the only thing I had a problem with on my figure is that he was a little shiny in places, but a little matte clear very lightly brushed in those places takes care of it and the fix is invisible.

Sideshow will help me out, so I hope the replacement is ok.

Regarding the capturing of the figure and extra's I had the same problem. The first pictures didn't convince me at all. Later on I saw some images on this page which made me cross the line and order it, and I can't be more happy about that decision.

Making good pictures is hard, especially because lighting can make or break this item big time.

The matte clear fix seems like something I will do later on, first I need to finish my diorama [emoji16]

Yeah he looks really good in hand. Better than I thought he would.

There?s a lot you can do with him too. A lot

I want to get a palace backdrop made for him. Not my thing. I am a carpenter. I can make stuff out wood. This will need a stony look. I am also good with tile and stone. Hmmm..

Have you seen my diorama? I posted it recently in this thread.

That diorama is mostly made of wood, and has a clay finish. Took a good amount of time for sure but I'm really happy with it.

Some parts were 3D printed but if you need the vents or the BBQ I might be able to help you out.

Have you seen my diorama? I posted it recently in this thread.

That diorama is mostly made of wood, and has a clay finish. Took a good amount of time for sure but I'm really happy with it.

Some parts were 3D printed but if you need the vents or the BBQ I might be able to help you out.

[emoji119]
Yes I will probably take you up on that ASAP.

The wood will not be an issue and I could incorporate some type of stone that I usually work with in some areas of it but the clay thing I?ll have to watch and read up on. Yeah, this will be fun! [emoji1303]

[emoji119]
Yes I will probably take you up on that ASAP.

The wood will not be an issue and I could incorporate some type of stone that I usually work with in some areas of it but the clay thing I?ll have to watch and read up on. Yeah, this will be fun! [emoji1303]

Good luck in this journey, it's completely worth it if you have the skills and space [emoji4]

I myself am not great with wood but my dad is, and we built this together.

For the base I have used sand, combined with a mixture of wood glue and water. This glues and hardens it, and leaves the sand look perfectly in tact.

Sideshow will help me out, so I hope the replacement is ok.

Regarding the capturing of the figure and extra's I had the same problem. The first pictures didn't convince me at all. Later on I saw some images on this page which made me cross the line and order it, and I can't be more happy about that decision.

Making good pictures is hard, especially because lighting can make or break this item big time.

The matte clear fix seems like something I will do later on, first I need to finish my diorama [emoji16]

In most pics to me the eyes look bulbous and the head just looks off (somehow too pointed and misshapen,) but then I glance over at my actual set and it captures ROTJ Jabba. Lens distortion I guess is the issue. I do think if you use a real camera with an actual lens and zoom in on the figure a bit, it gets rid of most of the distortion problems.

I was definitely the same - really wasn't hugely impressed with the way it looked in pics, then saw a few pics that somehow looked better, then got it in-hand and was like "wtf??" because it looked much better.

That old saying "it looks better in-hand" is certainly in play with this set.

In most pics to me the eyes look bulbous and the head just looks off (somehow too pointed and misshapen,) but then I glance over at my actual set and it captures ROTJ Jabba. Lens distortion I guess is the issue. I do think if you use a real camera with an actual lens and zoom in on the figure a bit, it gets rid of most of the distortion problems.

I was definitely the same - really wasn't hugely impressed with the way it looked in pics, then saw a few pics that somehow looked better, then got it in-hand and was like "wtf??" because it looked much better.

Totally, a 'real' camera will do the job so much better than most smartphone cameras.

Problem I had with this item is that it's a 'bit' pricey to just order it and see if it's any good [emoji28]

Thank god for this forum then, because people share their experiences and pictures, making it easier to make a decision.

How does the paint job compare in hand to the proto pics on Page 1? That's the other thing I've found pretty underwhelming in most of the pics and reviews I've seen, as it doesn't seem to look nearly as layered or complex. Although I imagine the right lighting could probably alleviate some of that...

How does the paint job compare in hand to the proto pics on Page 1? That's the other thing I've found pretty underwhelming in most of the pics and reviews I've seen, as it doesn't seem to look nearly as layered or complex. Although I imagine the right lighting could probably alleviate some of that...
Night and day, in a good manner of you ask me.
The proto pics didn't convince me, but in hand oh man it is nice.

I love this Jabba... maybe one day.

Sorry to hear about the 'stuck paper' thing. Never heard that before. Is it like they wrapped paper around it before it dried? Or some kind of chemical reaction during shipping?

Sorry to hear about the 'stuck paper' thing. Never heard that before. Is it like they wrapped paper around it before it dried? Or some kind of chemical reaction during shipping?

Yeah curious to see a pic of that. I took a light to my frog bowl yesterday to see if it was there on mine but just didn't notice before. I don't see anything out of place, though it's hard to get under and behind to see (if that's where it is.)

And yeah this set was definitely a major surprise on the upside. The photos thing is weird - this Jabba just doesn't look great in most pics to me yet it really "pops" as accurate in-hand. Maybe Jabba's head is the perfect shape to be distorted by smartphone cameras (some shapes aren't too affected, others very affected.)

And @davejames, the paint on mine was really impressive in-hand but in the days after I received it I watched two different review YT videos in HD and thought the paint on those Jabbas didn't look as good as mine, so there is a bit of a "luck of the draw." It's not to say at all those other Jabba apps weren't good, they just didn't quite have the subtlety I thought mine had. There are areas of dappled/mottled paint and the belly has this red application that can vary figure to figure.

The matte clear in places helps - this probably varies, but mine had "statue sheen" in a few areas. With the matte clear, those areas suddenly looked like real skin and it brought out subtlety in the apps too (that the sheen was obscuring.)

The V2 Jabba is just friggin' amazing...this and my 1:4 Vader are the pinnacle of my SW collection (even more so than the Mythos Statues...that are simply amazing on display)

I guess I wouldn't be helping if I posted some more pics of my Jabba, right? [emoji28]

Thanks

Yeah, I have no regrets purchasing him.

I can?t believe it?s been over 10 years since I got the original one. Wow..

The V2 Jabba is just friggin' amazing...this and my 1:4 Vader are the pinnacle of my SW collection (even more so than the Mythos Statues...that are simply amazing on display)

Must......resist..... :gah:

Not sure how this happened, my guess the clear coat wasn't completely dry when wrapped in the paper, all the other items had the same paper and nowhere else did it stick like on the bowl.
87efd21d66bb0cd9b27b86a0fefaf9ff.jpg

Added my 3D printed Leia (painted by a friend of mine) to sit next to Jabba.

Lando will hopefully be added soon.
c138779ecea618858ac08d24ac2826a1.jpg

Back