Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the ones the do are half assed at best....looking at you SSC Jedi Luke...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Think their second tier characters have been very good. And those are what we wanna see from them.
A solution would be a non-deluxe line with very few accessories and a single sculpt that would cost no more than $200. That would make them sell. And as the new releases, including Jabba, are called ‘deluxe’ it’s at least a remote possibility.

Think their second tier characters have been very good. And those are what we wanna see from them.
A solution would be a non-deluxe line with very few accessories and a single sculpt that would cost no more than $200. That would make them sell. And as the new releases, including Jabba, are called ‘deluxe’ it’s at least a remote possibility.

The SSC Luke X-wing was $240 4 1/2 years ago and came with one headsculpt (just with a "bonus" hairpiece) - it's not extras like a second headsculpt that pump the cost up to $250. Look at Maul - basic outfit, single head, not even a hood cloak - $240.

Zuckuss is probably the best example of a reasonably basic "creature" figure (ie no sculpted arms/legs, no special body) with single head and without many accessories - it was first previewed 2 1/2 years ago at $225. Previewed this year that same fig would be $240. TOD Indy - not even his leather jacket - $240.

Some figs are still an okay value at that price - if Lando Skiff is $240 it'll be okay - he has a complex helmeted/human head plus blaster and force pike. But the idea that those old "head/hands/basic outfit for $160" Sideshow used to do can come back just isn't real world.

My guess is there will not be a single SSC figure that is under $230 from now on, regardless of complexity. And that's sad - it wasn't all that long ago you could get quite soild figs like Hammerhead and Gammy for the $130 range.

My guess is there will not be a single SSC figure that is under $230 from now on, regardless of complexity. And that's sad - it wasn't all that long ago you could get quite soild figs like Hammerhead and Gammy for the $130 range.

Just quibbling here but the troopers have still been in the $200-$210 range, the most recent being the Snowtrooper commander at $209 and the Scout re-release at $210. I could see the next one being $220, though not sure how many they have left that they would do. Also Yoda was just released at $150 last summer. My guess is there'll still be the random cheap figure.

Just quibbling here but the troopers have still been in the $200-$210 range, the most recent being the Snowtrooper commander at $209 and the Scout re-release at $210. I could see the next one being $220, though not sure how many they have left that they would do. Also Yoda was just released at $150 last summer. My guess is there'll still be the random cheap figure.

I'm saying from now on though - the Snowie Commander was previewed 2 years ago. Can't imagine that would be $210 if announced today. Also there was the huge backlash against the figure due to the HT one being shelved so they surely must have taken that into account with the pricing. And the Biker Scout harkens back to 2014 when it was $190 (which was high then - the Snowie two years earlier was $150.)

And that Yoda... sheesh, not a peep about that figure even as it was starting to ship.:lol It was a total dud, came with nothing, and I'm assuming Sideshow knew that so priced it $50 less than the HT "DX" version (that had extra head, tree, and other box accessories.) If it was a "real" release - ie was good - it would be something that it was $150 though. It's kind of a special-case figure though - I mean the R2/R5 variants are also in that price range as they are too minimal to get $200+ for. They are "technically" 1/6 figures that are a ways under $200 but the reality is, they kind of feel like glorified accessories due to size.

All that being said, I'm really hoping that Lando is in the $220 range (and I hope there's no extra head - it'll be a throwaway anyway) but part of me thinks he ticks all the "$240-250 figure" boxes: hero character, somewhat complex outfit, extra accessories needed. And if it does have the extra head, we are definitely $240-250.

Snake Plissken comes to mind as a prime example of a SSC figure that came with a good amount of stuff for under $200 that wasn't 'that' long ago. Crazy Toys or some other company could make some unlicensed background Star Wars aliens. I'd be down for a bunch of 90% Sideshow quality SW figures for $50 or so a piece.

Here's mine; still need to figure out a pose for Bib, and the card-table is temporary until I can build a cabinet for this beast -- with a partial segment of Jabba's palace (I have the old Sideshow Han in Carbonite Environment that I'm going to incorporate into it, as well):

Attachments

• _DSC3011.jpg
    _DSC3011.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 227
Snake Plissken comes to mind as a prime example of a SSC figure that came with a good amount of stuff for under $200 that wasn't 'that' long ago. Crazy Toys or some other company could make some unlicensed background Star Wars aliens. I'd be down for a bunch of 90% Sideshow quality SW figures for $50 or so a piece.

True but I think the license for Escape from NY cost Sideshow exactly $50. An issue is even for a third tier SW character its still part of the $$$ SW license.

True but I think the license for Escape from NY cost Sideshow exactly $50. An issue is even for a third tier SW character its still part of the $$$ SW license.
That's why you get Crazy Toys or some other non licensed company to make "suction cup antenna green alien man" and "abominable snowman man." If a company can put out the poster child of Star Wars at (almost) 1/6 scale for $50..I think they'd turn a profit off of making C, D and E list characters. Not going to happen, but I'd be nice.

That's why you get Crazy Toys or some other non licensed company to make "suction cup antenna green alien man" and "abominable snowman man." If a company can put out the poster child of Star Wars at (almost) 1/6 scale for $50..I think they'd turn a profit off of making C, D and E list characters. Not going to happen, but I'd be nice.

Like I said, I think the future is groups of maybe 20 collectors pooling about $250 each to pay a sculptor (like AceRimmer,) painter and cut/sew person to make a figure. For $5,000 you could get 20 figs if done together.

Yes indeed. I was wondering why there's all these inconspicuous fake plants in my house.

Still haven't set up/removed all the Jabba stuff..much less called Sideshow to set up a return for one of them. I just have to say I've started to hate this damn thing. The smell alone is even reminiscent of the old flea market/old ppl ceramic pieces I was mentioning about before.

To someone who's super aware of things, but isn't over-the-top picky, this thing is really inconsistent and ****y made. All the imperfections with the material, paint apps on Jabba; it's like a high end $50 statue. I need to work on touching up chipped paint areas and chunks missing, etc..especially those pesky mouth corners and mouth hole corners. I'm starting to appreciate Jabba 1.0 more and more - even with the non-movie accurate paint job lol.

Yes indeed. I was wondering why there's all these inconspicuous fake plants in my house.

Still haven't set up/removed all the Jabba stuff..much less called Sideshow to set up a return for one of them. I just have to say I've started to hate this damn thing. The smell alone is even reminiscent of the old flea market/old ppl ceramic pieces I was mentioning about before.

To someone who's super aware of things, but isn't over-the-top picky, this thing is really inconsistent and ****y made. All the imperfections with the material, paint apps on Jabba; it's like a high end $50 statue. I need to work on touching up chipped paint areas and chunks missing, etc..especially those pesky mouth corners and mouth hole corners. I'm starting to appreciate Jabba 1.0 more and more - even with the non-movie accurate paint job lol.

Uh-oh. There goes the neighborhood.:lol

It sounds like you got one of the lemons, and I would just have them replace the entire thing, instead of trying to replace bits and pieces. I certainly understand your frustration, chalor, and Sideshow needs to make it right.

Mine came in perfect condition, nothing broken or ill-fitting, no odd smell, and all the parts swap out nicely. I absolutely love this thing, and can’t stop looking at it. I’m excited to get started on building the throne room environment for it, but shoulder surgery is taking a long time to heal, and I’m frustratingly impatient to move forward.

Don’t give up hope. Demand a full return/replacement and I hope it works out for you.

Took some quick pics before heading into work today. Not the greatest..and I forgot to take some of other sloppy issues. So yeah..I guess every batch is unique. You can see the hand carved marks on the sides..that are different on each one I have. Forgot to get some shots of that. But you can see the sides of the mouths a completely unique; plus the right mouth hole corners are very different too. So like I was saying before, a mouthpiece from the second one will not fit at all on the first one.
20190301_223619_Film1-1.jpg
20190301_223559_Film1-1.jpg
20190301_222837_Film1-1.jpg
20190301_222715_Film1-1.jpg
20190301_222602_Film1-1-1.jpg
20190301_222545_Film1-1.jpg
20190301_222538_Film1-1.jpg

Wow - they must hand-trim each insert piece to a specific body/face before painting, and the pieces remain paired with that body right the way to packaging. That is really interesting. So any replacement pieces may - or more likely may not - fit the existing face/body.

Back