Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish one of these 1/6 gonks looked like the gonk in the sandcrawler. They all seem to be based on online or gaming versions of the gonk (which aren't as narrow and have slightly different detailing.) I really want an OT style one to make a Hoth version. It would also be great if someone sculpted an 8D8/Gonk combo.

Here is a Gonk I got a while back. It has the Sandcrawler vibe to me.
20190207_065733.jpg

20190207_065719.jpg

Yeah, I would prefer to buy a finished one actually.

But truthfully I have to stop myself from things like GONKs -- I have no room for a 5th tier character. Hell, I don't have room for 3rd tier characters like a Tusken Raider.

Funny, you'd think with all the "sets" people have made, no one has yet made a "robot room" from the Sandcrawler scene in ANH. Plenty of Cantinas and Jabba's Palace... but no junk room dio. All those droids would be fun to see realized.

Yeah I know what you mean. There are so many minor SW droids and aliens I'd love to have, but then I remember I still need to make room for Bespin Han and Lando, and Endor Luke and Leia, along with whatever new figures come out of Ep IX...

Here is a Gonk I got a while back. It has the Sandcrawler vibe to me.

Yeah, some are better than others but if you look at the proportions and detailing of the sandcrawler gonk (which all the OT are based on including Hoth and Palace torture room versions) it has a narrower look overall and the "face" at the front is quite different. Ive thought about making a one out of styrene but as Worgar says it's always a bit hard to get fired up and excited about a gonk.:lol They're the "sprig of parsley" of 1/6 Star Wars.:lecture

But then again - I'm currently scratch building an Ugnaught suitcase which I'm not sure even qualifies as a sprig of parsley.:lol

If rusyj tweaked his 3D sculpt to the sandcrawler style I'd grab it in a heartbeat though.

gq5KIN7.png

I'm so jealous of the people who can collect 1/6th figures as readily as I collected 3 3/4 inch figures 20 years ago. If I had my own sweeping basement, I would likely find myself in that situation.

It's ironic, one of the main reasons I got into 1/6th originally was to get away from Star Wars. :lol In 2000, other than the Hasbro, there was no 1/6th Star Wars except for some one-off customs so I thought I was safe from the endless world of characters... then 2005 came, and Sideshow announced the SW license.

And just like replacing all my red card figures with green card figures back in the 90's, here I am replacing all my Sideshow figures with Hot Toys. :gah:

It wouldn't be too bad if it was just Star Wars figures that I collect. But throw in all of the other lines and then that is when display space runs out and 1/6th hobby funding goes nuts...

It wouldn't be too bad if it was just Star Wars figures that I collect. But throw in all of the other lines and then that is when display space runs out and 1/6th hobby funding goes nuts...

This is where the narrow interest in SW becomes a major plus. While I do have quite a few Indy figs, I have no Marvel/DC or other lines. If I did, things would be bad.

My Star Wars collection is very large, but thankfully I don't have too many MCU figs.

BUT... I do collect from ALL my other favorite movies -- from Raiders to Bond to Matrix to LOTR to Die Hard to Batman to Alien to Terminator to Pirates to... well, you see the problem.

And I only have 4 detolfs.

My Star Wars collection is very large, but thankfully I don't have too many MCU figs.

BUT... I do collect from ALL my other favorite movies -- from Raiders to Bond to Matrix to LOTR to Die Hard to Batman to Alien to Terminator to Pirates to... well, you see the problem.

If you have even kinda-sorta the same love for those properties as SW - even though many of them only have a handful of figures to get (or even just one) - I imagine you can and will get into all sorts of problems/dilemmas as those licenses get the HT/BW/BC etc (hell, even DID) treatment.

That includes people who want the "one fig" from like 20 fave films/TV (when you get to Mad Men and Breaking Bad you know you're in trouble.) I just saw that Lost Boys Keifer fig - those are the ones that just sink the 4, 5 or even 6 Detolfs for those "one fig" collectors.

BTTF and GB were lesser-loves of mine that I managed to dodge even when they got the HT/BW treatment. Though I still from time to time wish I'd gotten GB Ray and a BTTF1 Marty. But they would have led to a Delorean and all 4 GB's so I'm glad I didn't.

It's really only Indy where I've got 10+ figs beyond SW, and that's where the discipline (if you call nearly 100 figs discipline:slap) comes in.

My collection has certainly grown larger than I ever intended, but every time I go into my display room glancing around for the unlucky figure that doesn't make the cut anymore...there just isn't anything I really want to get rid of:lol

In the spirit of this Jabba should soon be on his way, money gone!

I wish I could limit myself to just SW, but unfortunately I'm a pretty big superhero and general scifi guy as well. And they keep producing more and more characters from those movies that just look way too cool to pass up.

My collection has certainly grown larger than I ever intended, but every time I go into my display room glancing around for the unlucky figure that doesn't make the cut anymore...there just isn't anything I really want to get rid of:lol

In the spirit of this Jabba should soon be on his way, money gone!

Ha yeah, I'm the same way. I've been considering dumping my X-Wing Luke for awhile now because it's such a boring and frustrating figure to work with... but even that one I have a hard time parting with. Because it's freakin X-Wing Luke from my favorite movie ever. :D

I've been considering dumping my X-Wing Luke for awhile now because it's such a boring and frustrating figure to work with... but even that one I have a hard time parting with. Because it's freakin X-Wing Luke from my favorite movie ever. :D

:lol I just the other day put an eBay search for Luke X-Wing after seeing how good your Luke line-up looked. I figured a smaller version of your evolution would be cool (X-Wing, Jedi, TLJ). I like the figure but there's about three poses you can go with.

I also face the "too many interest" collection bug. I basically pulled the trigger and got rid of all Marvel (especially the deep dark hole that is Iron Man) and made a conscious decision--Sci Fi and Fantasy will be the collection focus, and only in 1:6 scale. I still have DC Batmen and The Tumbler that will likely fall to the hammer in the coming years to help fund the very deep deep hole that is Star Wars.

This is where the narrow interest in SW becomes a major plus. While I do have quite a few Indy figs, I have no Marvel/DC or other lines. If I did, things would be bad.
:dunno
But also good too? Just add a room to your house, there, fixed.
Oh, and stop buying food, what a waste of money that routine is

:lol I just the other day put an eBay search for Luke X-Wing after seeing how good your Luke line-up looked. I figured a smaller version of your evolution would be cool (X-Wing, Jedi, TLJ). I like the figure but there's about three poses you can go with.

Yeah you can pose him wearing the helmet, or holding the helmet... and that's about it. :lol But this was always my favorite Kenner Luke figure as a kid, so I feel like it's something I should try to hold onto anyway. I guess. Maybe. :D

Yeah you can pose him wearing the helmet, or holding the helmet... and that's about it. :lol But this was always my favorite Kenner Luke figure as a kid, so I feel like it's something I should try to hold onto anyway. I guess. Maybe. :D

Too iconic of a look to get rid of Dave :lol

I have 6 detolfs and they are crammed full between marvel, dc, and star wars. I also collected 3 3/4 inch star wars, until AOTC came out. Then it was star wars legos, then kubricks, then sideshow star wars, but when hot toys went mainstream; and for me that was the dutch predator figure, its been mostly hot toys ever since. I hardly ever buy sideshow products anymore.

I'm pretty much done with DC. When the endgame line is complete, I'll be pretty much done with marvel until hot toys does the fantastic four.

As far as star wars, i have maul and dooku on order, but i think thatll be it unless its OT after that. And as far as OT goes itll be mostly ESB. I hate ROTJ and they've hit most of the major ANH characters already.

Back