Sideshow 1/6 Beetlejuice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I'll see if I can rep you again for this comment.

EDIT: No dice: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RiggsMcClane again.

Yeah, inexplicable to me. I said nothing harsh and simply restated what everyone else was saying with a gif. Must have struck a cord. :dunno

That makes me wonder how long this thread will be allowed to continue. Green Lantern led to the Code of Conduct. The X-Wing Luke thread was locked 'until in-hand pics become available' due to criticism. I bought that figure, because Luke in his X-Wing gear is iconic on a whole level above Beetlejuice, but most of the criticisms and concerns were validated by the actual release. Sideshow wants to charge Hot Toys prices, but is frankly poorer than many unlicensed manufacturers in production quality.

I'm sure it'll get locked eventually. This one is a real kick to the stomach for collectors and I don't think you'll see too many people leap in to level the field.

Well, is there really a point in continuing to bash it or the price? Sideshow didn't listen to early criticism of the facial expression, so why would they listen to anything said now? Early criticisms and anything said here could easily be chalked up to a vocal minority. Ultimately you need to voice your opinion with your wallet because that's more likely to get the message across. Which is not to say that that will resolve things either---Sideshow's production paint apps, for example, are still middling-to-bad for what would be classified as high-end collectibles and the paint quality on Sideshow's figures has received a ton of criticism across multiple figures over many years. Despite the criticism, Sideshow's still getting the sales. Personally, I was not thrilled with this offering (facial expression and value for the price), but I might buy the figure for everything but the head. Custom-tailored clothing could easily go for more than this whole figure.

There is a point to posting your negative feelings on it because Sideshow does lurk. I don't think anyone should expect a change on this, I don't think the negativity will be at that level, not to mention this is one forum amongst dozens on the internet, but it helps inform them that they've stepped over the line on this one and take that towards the next. The thing is to do it respectfully and that this forum has had trouble with lately.

I would love if they cancelled it and honestly started again.
There is no value here in comparison to the talking NECA one....unless you MUST have "real clothing". While I still like some aspects of this, not a chance I will pay this price.

If he had "real" hair, he'd be different enough to consider, but no...juust no.

This is even better:

6455761249_8e2c62d64c_m.jpg

I love that little guy!

There is a point to posting your negative feelings on it because Sideshow does lurk. I don't think anyone should expect a change on this, I don't think the negativity will be at that level, not to mention this is one forum amongst dozens on the internet, but it helps inform them that they've stepped over the line on this one and take that towards the next. The thing is to do it respectfully and that this forum has had trouble with lately.

Agreed, I think Sideshow does pay attention... sadly they don't seem to adjust product once they've shown it. Unlike HT who will actually tweak a great figure and make it even better.

Sideshow will show the proto then batten down the hatches and deliver a figure as-is regardless of (in this case) a near unanimous questioning of the expression. It's a fantastic looking figure, but a terrible choice of expression and the price tag is ludicrous.

If Sideshow can't release a barebones figure anymore for under $200 they either need to get out of 1/6 or commit to really delivering HT quality. I'd say the Tie Pilot is the closest I've seen for them getting to the level of HT; but that's a bit of a cheat since they seem to do better with armored figures.

X-Wing Luke turned out okay, but his paint work was well off the mark for a HT figure and when you compare what he came with next to the ANH Luke from HT the price tag of $240 is completely out of line.

Agreed, I think Sideshow does pay attention... sadly they don't seem to adjust product once they've shown it. Unlike HT who will actually tweak a great figure and make it even better.

Sideshow will show the proto then batten down the hatches and deliver a figure as-is regardless of (in this case) a near unanimous questioning of the expression. It's a fantastic looking figure, but a terrible choice of expression and the price tag is ludicrous.

If Sideshow can't release a barebones figure anymore for under $200 they either need to get out of 1/6 or commit to really delivering HT quality. I'd say the Tie Pilot is the closest I've seen for them getting to the level of HT; but that's a bit of a cheat since they seem to do better with armored figures.

X-Wing Luke turned out okay, but his paint work was well off the mark for a HT figure and when you compare what he came with next to the ANH Luke from HT the price tag of $240 is completely out of line.

The one thing that could help this figure is that he doesn't look like a normal human, so it doesn't have to look as realistic as a normal human characters. The final product might be close to the proto as far as the paint quality. The tailoring might not be as good, although I think the Snake Plissken outfit looked more or less the same as the prototype.

Yep sadly I would love this figure but the price point plus you have to buy the tombstone separate makes this is a huge rip off. Sideshow I am done with you. This hobby is becoming a joke with the prices and lack of stuff within the figures.

There is a point to posting your negative feelings on it because Sideshow does lurk. I don't think anyone should expect a change on this, I don't think the negativity will be at that level, not to mention this is one forum amongst dozens on the internet, but it helps inform them that they've stepped over the line on this one and take that towards the next.

Well, my point was that the last part doesn't seem to happen. The feedback from the community doesn't carry forward and result in changes. It's as they say, you're crazy if you continue to do the same thing and expect different results.

I actually wish I knew more about what goes on behind the scenes (production costs, profit margins, licensing agreements, etc.) to be better informed about the prices. Given Sideshow's costs, is $240 really just total BS or no? Clearly each person will have a different opinion about whether the price is reasonable or not, but from a strict business perspective, is it reasonable?

I really hope they add another face sculpt. I've wanted a beetlejuice for a long time. My man cave is mostly 80s themed. But I feel a bit disappointed so far. I hope they turn this around as I doubt we'll get another shot. I also want their cult classics to do well as those are what I want to see more of the most.

I really hope they add another face sculpt. I've wanted a beetlejuice for a long time. My man cave is mostly 80s themed. But I feel a bit disappointed so far. I hope they turn this around as I doubt we'll get another shot. I also want their cult classics to do well as those are what I want to see more of the most.

I'd be happy if they just alter the current sculpt.

Well, my point was that the last part doesn't seem to happen. The feedback from the community doesn't carry forward and result in changes. It's as they say, you're crazy if you continue to do the same thing and expect different results.

I actually wish I knew more about what goes on behind the scenes (production costs, profit margins, licensing agreements, etc.) to be better informed about the prices. Given Sideshow's costs, is $240 really just total BS or no? Clearly each person will have a different opinion about whether the price is reasonable or not, but from a strict business perspective, is it reasonable?

I think we all would, but that's not something they would ever divulge obviously. A few of their recent figures have been this price point (Luke X-wing, Maul, and now this). Even if the licenses are wildly different in terms of costs, it seems pretty easy to acknowledge that a Star Wars figure is more likely to sell more units than a Beetlejuice figure. So with that in mind, that might be where some of the cost on this one is coming from.

For all we know they have the exact same margins as Hot Toys, but higher production costs and overhead, for numerous reasons. If that's the case though, then maybe they just can't compete with some of these other manufacturers. We've seen this with cars and various industries.

Price would be ridiculous even if he came with more.
This is absurd.

I'll probably grab the suit and some hands loose but there's no way I'm buying the full figure for that.

We had the same comments and feedback for them after SDCC concerning the sculpt/likeness and they didn't change anything. Terrible price, pitiful accessories, cheap stand, and poor headsculpt. This one is a real stinker.

We had the same comments and feedback for them after SDCC concerning the sculpt/likeness and they didn't change anything. Terrible price, pitiful accessories, cheap stand, and poor headsculpt. This one is a real stinker.

I don't think Sideshow really cares what we think...as long as people keep buying their products as they are,the few that are complaining VS. the overall grande scheme of buyers,they just don't care.

In the grand scheme of things, what percentage of people are collecting these high end dolls? There is a reason these are not on Walmart or target store shelves. You would think they would listen to feedback if it is overwhelmingly negative. I know you can't please everyone, but this figure was not loved by a good high percentage of people when shown at sdcc, and the same seems to be the case. Too bad, my oldest daughter is a huge beetlejuice fan as my wife, and they could not believe the price, head sculpt, and major lack of accessories. They also could not believe the freaking tombstone was not included. They would have been more forgiving as I if Sideshow included the tombstone. Big huge mistake selling it separately imo. No excuse.

If the figure came with the tombstone I would have forgiven the sculpt at $240 and purchased; maybe.

Back