Show Us Your Troops (Sideshow/Marmit/Medicom/etc.)!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody got a lower left marmit stormy leg?

I looked for one for a year and I finally grabbed a pair of Hot Toys lowers. Then when I finally had a REALLY good look through the Marmit box, I found the original (thought missing) leg behind the plastic tray. Doh! The seller had warned me there was a leg missing, so I didn't think to search for it inside the box when I first bought it. haha.

Group shots of my Stormtroopers from ANH. A mix of Marmit, Sideshow, and Hot Toys. (and three Shapeways buckets)

Then I've got this setup at my work desk so Vader can oversee my projects personally.

Group shots of my Stormtroopers from ANH. A mix of Marmit, Sideshow, and Hot Toys. (and three Shapeways buckets)

.... and I never would have been able to pick out the Shapeways buckets in the group shot.... NOT!

The shapeways wins by a mile, the Marmit's a decent second, but HT and SSC are struggling in in ninth and tenth place.:lol

Thanks dudes.

Yeah I don't even use the Sideshow buckets except on the Sandtroopers that came with them. I'm not a fan of those buckets at all. And since the Shapeways bucket I really can't even look at the Hot Toys ones without something seeming off.

I haven't seen anything in "plastic" from Shapeways at any price that has the surface finish necessary for use in a finished product - what material were the buckets made from any how much work was put into them to clean them up for paint?

I haven't seen anything in "plastic" from Shapeways at any price that has the surface finish necessary for use in a finished product - what material were the buckets made from any how much work was put into them to clean them up for paint?

Just depends on how good you want it to look. Yeah the Shapeways buckets have the ridges from the printing process but it doesn't take all that much work to smooth it out. I just use an xacto blade and scrape it smooth while others have used products specifically designed to even-out rough surfaces. Its worth it to have the most accurate bucket available.

Thanks Aliaz!

Just depends on how good you want it to look. Yeah the Shapeways buckets have the ridges from the printing process but it doesn't take all that much work to smooth it out.

Do you have a link to the item at Shapeways? Did someone here on the forum make the model?

Then I've got this setup at my work desk so Vader can oversee my projects personally.

very nice collection.

For your shapeways, how thin are the layer lines and did you do lots of sanding to remove the lines or roughness?
and what mods have been done on your Gardian? I have that figure, but for me he only seems to need a new belt, body, gloves and boots. Just wondering what you did to yours

very nice collection.

For your shapeways, how thin are the layer lines and did you do lots of sanding to remove the lines or roughness?
and what mods have been done on your Gardian? I have that figure, but for me he only seems to need a new belt, body, gloves and boots. Just wondering what you did to yours
Thanks man. For the Shapeways buckets I pretty much scraped the entire surface of them with a razor blade to get rid of the layer lines and then did some light sanding afterwards to smooth them out a little more. For Garindan, the head, cloak, and pants are from the Hasbro figure. The shirt is from a Sideshow Cantina band member, the gloves and belt are Tie Figher pilot, the boots are from Fine Scale Miniatures that I got from Monkey Depot, and the body is DiD. Pretty easy bash. Just some futzing to do with his cloak. I glued mine down around his goggles to hold its shape on the hood.

Thanks man. For the Shapeways buckets I pretty much scraped the entire surface of them with a razor blade to get rid of the layer lines and then did some light sanding afterwards to smooth them out a little more. For Garindan, the head, cloak, and pants are from the Hasbro figure. The shirt is from a Sideshow Cantina band member, the gloves and belt are Tie Figher pilot, the boots are from Fine Scale Miniatures that I got from Monkey Depot, and the body is DiD. Pretty easy bash. Just some futzing to do with his cloak. I glued mine down around his goggles to hold its shape on the hood.

the cloak I used for my custom of Garindan I used the medicom luke jedi cloak I have to dye it black but I think it lookes cool. I still have the Hasbro one but not sure on which one I like the most.

Back