Should I Avoid this suspicious ebay auction?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PayPal is a buyer's game. You should feel very comfortable as a buyer, and extremely so if you fund by credit card. I've been selling commercially using PayPal for 8 years now and it's very difficult to win a dispute against a fraudulent buyer. With no question as a credit card funded transaction you'll win every time against a fraudulent seller.

I emailed seller telling him I found the link where he pulled pictures from and to send me actual pictures of item and have not heard a reply or excuse that his camera is broken. No answer is usually an answer of guilt.

Most sellers on eBay steal photos and most product sales do not include photos of the actual item you will receive. Photos on eBay mean nothing.

Most sellers on eBay steal photos and most product sales do not include photos of the actual item you will receive. Photos on eBay mean nothing.

If seller does not reply to the question I asked, then there is a problem. I asked for picture of contents of box and he sent me a borrowed pictured from the link I posted he got it from. Maybe if you read the previous and my posts you would see the point why this is suspicious. I asked for actual picture of contents and received someone else s pictures. Not honest boss!

It's not my auction, so I don't care one way or the other. I'm trying to tell you "HOW IT IS" on eBay and in the real world. If you don't care for the information I provided, that's cool. If you think the seller is suspicious, then don't buy from them. I'm sure they don't care either.

Counter to what many people believe eBay is not a place filled with scummy and untrustworthy sellers, it's a place filled to the breaking point with scummy and worthless buyers.

It's not my auction, so I don't care one way or the other. I'm trying to tell you "HOW IT IS" on eBay and in the real world. If you don't care for the information I provided, that's cool. If you think the seller is suspicious, then don't buy from them. I'm sure they don't care either.

Counter to what many people believe eBay is not a place filled with scummy and untrustworthy sellers, it's a place filled to the breaking point with scummy and worthless buyers.

We were talking about this specific auction young man, not ebay auctions where sellers use stock photos in general
Relax a little why don't you?

Everything I've posted applies to this specific auction you're looking at. Again, take advice if you want - or don't.

I'm 41, so regardless of how old you are, calling me a young man isn't exactly the right thing to do, but I suppose you were trying a backhanded passive aggressive insult - great to know for those who will choose in the future not to offer you any assistance. In any case it's clear you don't have any experience with eBay, so you'd probably do well to not bite the hand that feeds you. If you come looking for help and advice you shouldn't try to crap on those willing to give it.

Some people really... No one deserves to get burned in an online transaction, but it seems like you need to learn life lessons the hard way.

I've been looking for a good argument all day, and I have to say this thread has left me a little underwhelmed, even after my reply below. :)

Relax a little why don't you?

Jesus H! I have to pay more attention to user names. I just realized that you weren't the person asking the original question, but were instead someone offering REALLY BAD ADVICE that will only get someone burned. I'll tear it down for you now.

ask if he can ship COD (cash on delivery).

Nobody in their right mind would ever ship COD for an eBay auction. This isn't 1950. You also absolutely cannot inspect the content of the package in any way before paying. Once you pay, those funds are GONE. PERIOD. This is not a safe way to handle a transaction for any party involved.

Any payment with money order other than in person with visual inspection of item before money changes hand is usually a scam.

It doesn't mean it's a scam and "usually" is a very broad brush. I'm willing to offer you this counter: There's a good chance there are more fraudulent money orders sent than fraudster sellers asking for money orders.

USPS money orders are traceable. You can send it with delivery confirmation and signature required.

You're confusing the features of a money order with the features of USPS's mail service. But yes, you can inquire as to wether a money order was cashed and where it was cashed and MAYBE by whom - but that's not guaranteed - it SHOULD be the person named on the money order of course.

If you get scammed you can file a claim with the USPS

That's not going to help you even if you can (and you can't necessarily). Especially if the money order, like most sold around the world, was purchased from a bank. Sending a money order is like sending cash with the benefit that you can confirm when it's been processed/cashed.

or cashiers check from your bank. Ask bank about buyer protection if you get ripped off.

Again, this is like sending cash with only proof of acceptance. Neither provides you with any security whatsoever. The only secure method of payment online is ESCROW. The next best thing is PayPal and Credit Card funding for auctions or straight-up credit card for businesses with their own merchant account.

Seriously, stop giving bad advice, you're going to get someone burned.

Last edited:
I emailed seller telling him I found the link where he pulled pictures from and to send me actual pictures of item and have not heard a reply or excuse that his camera is broken. No answer is usually an answer of guilt.

That doesnt mean jack. I use Hot Toys pics if my item has zero issues and when people ask for pics I just ignore it. Hell if people come off annoying I IGNORE them. Maybe your coming off that way to him. Maybe you should just forget about them item and this thread should be locked up. As some people say "That is my honest opinion, idk"

Some of you guys really need to relax a bit. Sad how you can not have a civil discussion without people getting rude. I guess I am from a different generation. Also, ignoring people who ask for actual picture of item comes across as being childish and imature. That's my opinion(thought I better put that so it does not come across as fact).

Some of you guys really need to relax a bit.

You might want to stop telling people what to do, it comes across as being childish and immature. And unless you have some arcane powers and a crystal ball, I really can't fathom how you know someone's state of relaxation. Do you have a Chi flow-rendering display that automatically colors people's posts according to Feng Shui? I thought they stopped making those things years ago.

Sad how you can not have a civil discussion without people getting rude.

Look in the mirror sometime - you're failing to see why your posts have been problematic to put it politely. Maybe it's part of a bitter condescending generation that no one else is privy to.

Honest buyers and sellers have to proceed with caution.. like most auction based market places, there are rotten apples on both sides.
That said, I have had lots of good transactions and far, far fewer genuinely bad ones.. my three most regular annoyances are, Shill bidding.. followed by, Sellers describing something is 'brand new and never opened', then receiving a figure which quite clearly has been displayed (in retail packaging that equally obviously has been opened).. and finally, inadequate packaging which results in wholly avoidable and unnecessary damage in transit.

I have used eBay since before PayPal became pretty much the de facto standard of payment.. and as a general rule of thumb, I only use two transaction formats.. PayPal and Cash on collection.. I wouldn't touch other payment methods with a ten foot pole.. anyone who does, is taking an unnecessary risk and sooner or later, is likely to regret it.

Well someone won that auction for close to $500. I'm just waiting to see if he actually receives the item, as I will check this guys feedback.

Negative feedback was left for the Batmobile. Buyer says the seller didn't respond to emails and relisted the car after the buyer had paid. The buyer also got screwed out of a DX12 Batman as well. So yep, avoid this one,

What's funny is that is up again and people are still bidding on it. Smh lol.

Look at the feedback and look at the auction listing. It's clear what happened here. The seller is selling these two items for an estate, not for himself. The buyer paid by PayPal which the seller claimed they were not accepting (the seller should modify the auction format preferences). So the seller cancels the payment and re-lists the items. I'm not sure why anyone would expect a different result.

The seller responded to my inquiry within 5 minutes (just now) confirming what I had just posted above. Payment method was not accepted and was refunded. The seller also has 3 vehicles available.

I don't buy stuff on eBay with money orders, but it's unfair to say that this seller was trying to rip off the buyer. This was a case of the buyer not reading or ignoring the terms of the auction.

Back