SHERLOCK HOLMES Trailer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and i love love love jude law but he is sure as hell not the reserved and subtle yet highly trustworthy and brave watson.
Whenever I read Holmes, I never perceived Watson as "reserved and subtle," so much as an average, albeit extremely competent "everyman" that the reader could identify with. He had more tact than Holmes did at times, but I never read that as being reserved.

BWAHAHAHA... he threw the hammer!

I heard about the movie a few months ago, but I didn't think it was going to be so actiony. Really looks fun. :joy

I'm surprised by the action and the content, but I trust Downey fully... so I will definitely see this. Couple that with Jude Law and Guy Ritchie directing it, and there is no way in HELL I will miss this flick.

Eh, horrible Holmes movie but good action movie.

My dad is a really big Holmes fan so I know a lot more about it than I should--this is so far off from the character it's ridiculous. Jeremy Brett was the best Holmes.

But anyway, looks like an exciting movie, and RDJ is cool

Looks entertaining enough, but why bother licensing Sherlock Holmes if you're not actually going to make a Sherlock Holmes movie?

I'll bet it's not quite as action laced as this trailer portrays it. This is to suck in general audiences, not diehard HOLMES fans.

I'll bet it's not quite as action laced as this trailer portrays it. This is to suck in general audiences, not diehard HOLMES fans.

It might just be, but it certainly has a mass appeal feel here; not that I necessarily object.

An actual Sherlock Holmes movie would probably do just as good (if not better) than this action movie. Seriously, there are tons of SH fans around the world, like tons.

They never intended to make this like the books.....they always wanted to do something different with the character.

The action doesn't bother me at all. Its the complete bastardization of the characters. Holmes only loved one woman and it certainly wasn't a "tie me to the bed" thing.

As for Watson, of course anyone would be reserved and subtle compared to Holmes, but it was intended by Sir Conan Doyle to have Watson be the opposite of Holmes, not just an "everyman". I think Watson goes beyond just being the everyman and into someone with a remarkably calm demeanor.

There was plenty of action in the Doyle stories. This looks like a fun Victorian romp but it's not Sherlock Holmes. And that's a shame, because you can make an amazing movie using the real Holmes. He's an incredibly modern character (so relentlessly modern in fact we see his echo dominate pop culture today in characters like House and Gil Grissom and Spock).

You can craft a film wholly consistent with the canon that still works for modern audiences; his drug use, his dismissal of earthly concerns, the wonderful scene in his first appearance where he beats a cadaver to discover how long it takes for bruises and blood pooling to occur (creating modern forensics).

The trailer makes Holmes seem like the version of Tom Sawyer in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. But like I said, it looks fun and I'll probably disengage and see it anyway. And also ignore the fact that only syphilitics wore sunglasses in the 19th century.

They never intended to make this like the books.....they always wanted to do something different with the character.

You mean like Deadpool in Wolverine? :gun

As for Watson, of course anyone would be reserved and subtle compared to Holmes, but it was intended by Sir Conan Doyle to have Watson be the opposite of Holmes, not just an "everyman".

Watson of course was also a Victorian gentleman; reservation and decorum were second nature. In fact often in the stories he sublimates his more emotional responses because it wouldn't be proper.

There's a belief that Watson was somewhat of a ladies man, but I don't think that translates to a Don Juan or Tom Jones or something, which I kind of associate with Jude Law.

To me he was read more like a handsome, honorable and decent man that attracted the ladies and maybe was too respectable to do anything except marry each of them! LOL.

There's a belief that Watson was somewhat of a ladies man, but I don't think that translates to a Don Juan or Tom Jones or something, which I kind of associate with Jude Law.

Watson would have been highly desirable to Victorian women because of his professional standing. A catch.

Watson would have been highly desirable to Victorian women because of his professional standing. A catch.

Exactly, but that doesn't equate to a philandering Tom Jones or Alphie or something which Jude Law plays great.

But Jude Law as someone that catches the females because of his professional standing, bravery, trustworthyness, and gentleman behavior instead of from his suave charm and good looks? I think not.

Looks entertaining, but dosent look like Holmes....

Hopefully the change in character's persona's are more of a positive then a obstacle towards enjoying it.

Im pulling for Ritchie though, hes had a few stubles as of late, but I have to support the guy who gave us Snatch. Hes definetly in a huge slump, as his last 3 films (Swept away, Revolver and Rocknrolla) have all been dreadful-to-poor. This movie could help him out greatly, but if these changes dont work out for the best.... it could be the final nail in the coffin of his career.

Back