Shelves / Display Suggestions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions are relatively inexpensive shelves / displays for 1/6 or even 1/4 scale items?

THanks,

Obsidian

I have some besta dark brown shelves that work really well. I just wish the glass faces weren't so expensive. I think the detalf ones are pretty flimsy and cheap looking. Also, do you think I would have been better off with light colored shelves like maple? I have added LED spot lights etc. but i'm wondering if the dark wood detracts some. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Obsidian

If you think the detolfs look cheap the next thing that would look more " classy " for lack of a better word would most likely be the besta with the glass doors but if there to expensive you might have a hard time finding something that will look right with both 1/6 and 1/4 stuff without getting into custom made stuff.
Detolf and Besta and the two most common cabinets used on this site from what I've seen.
Detolf seem best for 1/6 and Besta best for the heavier and bigger stuff , maybe a combination of the two both in the same or a similar colour could work.

Thanks for the responses! Any suggestions on whether dark wood makes the statues harder to view? I personally like the look of the darker wood but not sure if it detracts from the statues. What do you guys think?

Well , with bright enough lighting it shouldn't be a massive problem I'd imagine. A lot of guys on here use the black/brown besta cabinets and they usually look great to me.
Dark wood may make the statues less visible but bright wood could also make them not stand out as much with their vibrant colours. It all depends on what you're displaying though I guess.

20078161793062902.jpg

=D

For a diffrent and in many ways classier look try an antique store you can usually work out deals with them and most of the things there close good so you do not have a dust problem.

Also the color of wood should match the room so it does not stick out so much. I Like a darker colored wood but that I think is more of a personal choice.

HOME EQUITY LOAN...or go to HD or lowes and get red oak and slat board...LOTR room use walnut please!

I just came up with a pretty neat formula for making display stands. They're extremely low cost to make yet looks pretty elegant for the money. Here's what you'll need:

Get at least 2x of Ikea Lack side tables. These will go underneath and will be hidden for the most part, so the actual look or color of these side tables don't matter that much. Get the black one since it's a little cheaper, or go to Craig's List and grab a whole bunch of 2nd hand ones for next to nothing.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80104268

Stack one table on top of another, and put a color tablecloth that's long enough to drape down and cover the tables underneath. I got my tablecloths at Target for roughly $10 - $25 each depending on the size. If you want to go more high end, you can get Velvet or something cool to drape over the tables instead. You can also drill or glue the tables together for more security and sturdiness. You can even build together as many tables as you want and drape one big tablecloth over for a one big size display alter.

My display room isn't done yet, but here's a quick example of a display stand you can build for just around $25 using 2x black LACK side tables and one tablecloth. (this one needs ironing..)

draculabust01.jpg

This one is built with 6 lack side tables stacked together, that's roughly 35" tall, 64"wide, and 21" deep:
monstertable.jpg

For 1:6 stuff I would go Besta + 15" glass doors, though they can get quite expensive, and I feel the bottom two shelves seem kind of wasted for being too low to the ground. I prefer my stuff close to eye level, which is why I much prefer to build this side table display for all my 1:4 and 1:1 stuff.

-

Last edited:
Back