SH Figuarts Batman 89

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest difference is release dates because blue fin imports them from Bandai and takes about a month to get here by boat, etc, unless you want to pay for ems shipping, the only advantage is the dollar being high, you might pay up for the same price if bought imported and don?t know if it will include the brown shipper box they usually come in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cowl/mask looks amazing, but that mouth face plate, yeesh.

Lips could be improved. As long as there’s a head with straight eyes that’s what’s most crucial for me, posed to the side permanently is too limiting.

Is it just me, or do the ears look wrong? When viewed in profile, the front should be near vertical and the back of the ear should curve gently forwards from the bottom to the top. Don’t get me wrong, I think overall this figure looks great and can’t wait to get it! But the ears look a bit off.
h2lt8ryj9gz11.jpg

Hopefully they fix the mouth pieces before final production and distribution :pray:

Not likely.

Once Bandai posts official photos of something youre getting exactly what is in the photos. They might change/correct paint apps on future reissues but basically with them what you see is what you get.

It?s a shame because everything about this figure is awesome except for the faceplates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was a kid I first saw the Batsuit unveiled in a small pic in Newsweel magazine.

batman newsweek.jpg

At first I was in disbelief....this all black rubbery thing looked NOTHING like the Batman of the comics with the grey spandex and blue cowl.

But it didn't take long to win me over, and soon enough, like every other 11 year old in the country I was obsessed with this Batman.

I wanted Toys.

I found the first Toy Biz serviceable, despite the inaccurate spear gun and the lopsided belt. But the chest logo was wrong and that drove me nuts. I never got the Toy Biz Batmobile and don't regret it cause the damn thing didn't even have a roof. I DID get the Batwing and it was essentially a piece of bootleg garbage made from the softest plastic with no sculpted details and it shot rubber darts. It SUCKED.

Then Kenner attempted to course correct, and by all accounts their vehicles were great, but the multitude of rainbow colored Super Power Batman repaints didn't cut it either. Only got worse with Returns, Forever, and B+R.

I wouldn't own a decent Batman figure til 2012 when I got my Hot Toys. More of a rubber fragile statue than a toy, but at least it finally LOOKS amazing

My next attempt at finally getting perfection was the 7 inch NECA figure. It's good. Not great. VERY fragile....limited poses...iffy sculpt decisions.

Then Mezco promised to make our dreams come true.....and then lied to us too. No, we're getting a rubber bendy figure with wires in the arms and legs, made out of a material guarenteed to permanently attract dust. All for the bargain basement price of about $150.

Annnnnd that brings us to out last hope. SHF. This is gonna be a small fgure so won't scale with anything on the shelf. No biggie. Supposedly it's articulated so it might achieve poses the others can't. But they just couldn't nail the face could they: Got that giant chin and beady eyes are ugly.

Sorry 11 year old me, sitting in awe of that Newsweek pic.....30 years later and nobody's delivered yet. Maybe someday.

Otomofan, i'm a diehard fan of Batman 89 too and if i remember correctly you've got DX09 and the Batmobile. So i think you dont need to wait more, you got the ultimate Batman 89 combination for display and even more than what a 89 fan could expect.

Personaly i've got DX09, DX08, DX14 and the Batmobile. It is just heaven that these grails saw the light of day. I'm not planning to buy any other figure of Batman 89. Maybe i'm wrong but i don't think something could surpass in the future what HT achieved on this line.

Sorry 11 year old me, sitting in awe of that Newsweek pic.....30 years later and nobody's delivered yet. Maybe someday.

Agreed. I missed out on the Mezco, but that's probably for the best, and I jumped to preorder this one but now I'm reconsidering. With the NECA already in hand, I'm looking at this now at what it offers me that NECA doesn't. The cape is more like the movie but it's not that great, still puffs out a lot and it is actually too long, the front tips drag on the floor and that's not even with it draping flat over the body. Unfortunately, ever '89 figure since 2012 has issues. I had to sell my Hot Toys and have been considering trying to buy it again, but then, being made of rubber, can I trust where it's been all this time on the secondary market to not break down and leave me out hundreds for nothing. The 7" NECA is ok, but the head seems a little oversized for the body, when they shrunk the 1/4 down and made the mask real material over a head, the proportions got lost a bit. When the cape covers him, you don't notice so much but when you look, seems too skinny everywhere for the head size. I actually think the best overall figure to have so far is the NECA 18" figure, yes it's large, but it looks quite good, has a pretty faithful cape, and the body is hard plastic, which may break at joints depending on use but will not break down due to moisture or other conditions which could ruin the Hot Toys figure.

Yep, I agree the NECA 1/4 is the best 1989 Batman figure currently available for the reasons you mention. I’m excited for this because I’ve wanted a highly articulated 1/12 scale Keaton Batman for some time to go with my growing 1/12 Batman collection (it’s currently all Mafex, but that’s just because they've made the best versions of each Batman I’ve wanted so far).

Ultimately no collectible will ever truly be perfect, but I think this one looks pretty great and has a lot to offer. I’m still hopeful Mafex will jump on the bandwagon because in almost ever case where Mafex and Figuarts each make the same figure, I almost always prefer the Mafex to a strong degree. But after missing out on the Mezco preorder (which turned out to be a blessing in disguise...) I didn’t want to miss out on this because it looks like it’s the closest thing to my dream 1989 figure yet.

Otomofan, i'm a diehard fan of Batman 89 too and if i remember correctly you've got DX09 and the Batmobile. So i think you dont need to wait more, you got the ultimate Batman 89 combination for display and even more than what a 89 fan could expect.

Personaly i've got DX09, DX08, DX14 and the Batmobile. It is just heaven that these grails saw the light of day. I'm not planning to buy any other figure of Batman 89. Maybe i'm wrong but i don't think something could surpass in the future what HT achieved on this line.

No doubt the DX9 and the Batmobile are gorgeous, stunning pieces that are just larger than life. But they're basically statues.

I don't "play" with toys the way a kid does going "Boom, got you sucker! ARGH!" etc. but I've always loved to handle or "mess around" with my toys. I'm afraid to touch DX 9 even when I'm cleaning it, and NECA is fragile as hell too....

So what I'm getting at is, that sweet spot of a perfectly movie accurate, totally poseable 1989 Batman to just mess around with and pose on the shelf? So far, it hasn't happened yet....

Yep, I agree the NECA 1/4 is the best 1989 Batman figure currently available for the reasons you mention. I’m excited for this because I’ve wanted a highly articulated 1/12 scale Keaton Batman for some time to go with my growing 1/12 Batman collection (it’s currently all Mafex, but that’s just because they've made the best versions of each Batman I’ve wanted so far).

Ultimately no collectible will ever truly be perfect, but I think this one looks pretty great and has a lot to offer. I’m still hopeful Mafex will jump on the bandwagon because in almost ever case where Mafex and Figuarts each make the same figure, I almost always prefer the Mafex to a strong degree. But after missing out on the Mezco preorder (which turned out to be a blessing in disguise...) I didn’t want to miss out on this because it looks like it’s the closest thing to my dream 1989 figure yet.

Yeah, thats kinda where I'm at. NECA's LOOKS great. But the poseability is so limited that its one of those things I don't like to handle and prefer to just have sit on a shelf. This looks like something it would be fun to actually fiddle around with which is great.

Why do they keep including shurikens? He never used them in the movie and was just in the bs love you round for one scene.

Seen here in the Japanese edition of the Official Movie Book, along with some other gadgets only seen in this edition.

IMG-0085.jpg
IMG-0078.jpg

I just found super high res versions of the promo shots we've already seen.

The head still sucks. The eyes look awful with that printing technology. At least it looks like it'll be poseable and fun to mess around with, but the face is just really off.

shf-batman-1989-01.jpg
shf-batman-1989-05.jpg
shf-batman-1989-06.jpg
shf-batman-1989-07.jpg
shf-batman-1989-08.jpg
shf-batman-1989-09.jpg
shf-batman-1989-10.jpg

Yeah, I wish the head was better because this will probably be the most articulated version. The mezco has it beat to hell on likeness and accuracy though.

I think the Mezco head is gonna look good or even great, but based on the Toy Fair pics this year, I don't have high hopes for the accuracy of the body.

Back