SDCC X-files? Wheres the new figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can you justify making new TZ or OL figures when they still languish on the shelves even at clearance prices? There just wasn't a demand for these figures.

How can you justify repetitively issuing the same character despite the demand for others?
Five Buffy, Three Spike, Two Willow, Two Oz, Two Angel and no Giles or Cordy.
Two Mulder, Two Scully, Two Doggett, a Krychek and a Frank Black yet no Skinner.
Three Hellboy, Two Kroenen, and no Rasputin, Liz, John, Broom or Ilsa.
Multible Bonds and very few villains.
I won't even touch the POTA stuff.
Are you saying that there is not enough demand for 1 Giles or Cordy as opposed to the FIVE Buffy's? A rehashed Mulder was more wanted than a Skinner?
I still think a Rod Serling TZ figure would have been a nice addition. And there were plenty of other TZ and Outer Limits characters that maybe a little more research would have unearthed the ones that would have sold better.
What did we get? 6 Frankenstein Monsters and no Doc or Maleva?
And the plethora of Jason's and Freddy's but only one Michael Myers, and his mask inexplicably changed from film to film. But we got 2 Leatherfaces. Every one of the modern horror films has the helpless/heroic femme fatale but the only female we got was Jason's mom? And only because she was the first killer?
I just don't see Sideshow answering demand in a lot of the 1:6. It really makes me wary of what we'll be given from the Star Wars license.

There is always more demand for main characters than supporting characters. There's far more demand for Buffy, Spike and Angel than other characters. Same with Mulder and Scully, and Bond or Frankenstein's monster.

It just makes good business sense to release the primary characters over again. It introduces new buyers to the line and keeps the title characters in the public eye. When they did Bela as Gypsy and Renfield they sat forever and they looked great.

where's the new figures?

Hmmmmm. I don't recall seeing all that many posts for a 4th or 5th Buffy, or for the Billy Idol Spike, but I do remember lots of queries as to when we'll see Giles and Cordy. The Frankenstein variations [Karloff, Chaney, Lugosi and Strange] were great as I love the character but I never saw many posts requesting them as I do with Maleva and Doc.
To me it does NOT make good business sense to saturate the license with reissues and rehashes and not show what you can do. It shows "well......we think we make this one ok, so here's another version".
And when did Krychek and Frank Black become more of a main character than Skinner??

Re: where's the new figures?

It also makes sense to spread out the popular secondary characters through the life of the line. Don't release all the scoobies at once or people might lose interest when all that are coming out are Monsters of the week.

And number of posts about a character isn't any indication of what should be produced. As I said, re-releasing main characters is to draw NEW fans to the line, so anyone who missed previous versions of Buffy can still have a Buffy or a Scully in their collection.

As I said, re-releasing main characters is to draw NEW fans to the line, so anyone who missed previous versions of Buffy can still have a Buffy or a Scully in their collection

Yep, no argument with that; you've always gotta have the lead characters available to draw in the new collector.

Trouble is when that ploy crashes and burns; Prophecy Girl Buffy - who's fugliness not only puts new collectors off but causes old ones to question their committment to the line. And her hitting the shelves at the same time as the poorly received Willow too...

...'cos if something like happens it might shorten the life of the line... and we never get to see other core characters who'd been planned (and iirc promised to some extent) for 12 or 18 months down the line.

Likewise with Scully 2 I'd have probably preferred somekind of suit variation (with FBI wallet!) and kept Scrubs Scully to a website exclusive? I'd reckon a suited Scully would be more appealing to the new collector... but I don't know how HTF the original is now so that might be a moot point anyhow.

Nick

It also makes sense to spread out the popular secondary characters through the life of the line. Don't release all the scoobies at once or people might lose interest when all that are coming out are Monsters of the week.
So, in theory, we'd have a plethora of red shirts before we would ever see McCoy if the Trek license were being discussed? What frackin' feldergarb!!!! They have had the BTVS license for how long? And you're inferring that the main characters not be released all at once so we're happier with the MOTW? Well, we're not getting all that many Monsters of the Week OR the core Scoobies. And Nick has a point, too. Once you alienate all the people who were waiting for the scoobies by giving them version after version of the same character, and the line dies out without the figures you were waiting for since it began, then what do you tell them? The same thing you said about TZ and OL? That there just wasn't enough interest in the line to sustain it?
And number of posts about a character isn't any indication of what should be produced.
Its not?? So....if a thousand people called the fire dept to say your house was on fire but the fire chief said let's have supper first, those thousand calls would not have been any indication of what action should have been taken?

As I said, re-releasing main characters is to draw NEW fans to the line, so anyone who missed previous versions of Buffy can still have a Buffy or a Scully in their collection.

Also interesting. So...you heard about our line of figures and would like to start collecting? Well, we just came out with the BuffyBot Buffy version 3 and , huh? whats that? you were kind of hoping on picking up the whole series of core characters to start you off? Sorry, :\ , we haven't issued all FIVE of those figures yet. Heck, we've only had the license for 7 years. We can throw in version 7 of OZ as a werewolf...this one with even MORE neck hair!!!

Yep, no argument with that; you've always gotta have the lead characters available to draw in the new collector.
OK...I'll agree with this, IF you have the lead characters available. But we don't and we aren't getting all that many monsters either.
Secondary characters, I would think, would be Oz [which we have 2 of], Tara, Dawn, Jenny, .....NOT the MAIN cast that started off with the show. They ARE the main characters that should be available throughout the run.

Well if SS just wants the money then I shouldn't be collecting, because with all the vairants, Mulders, Scully, Hellboy etc., it just seems thats all SS wants is "money", And I understand its a buisness but its also about having collectors believe that company will furfill and give "respect" to the line instead of making the same figures over and over, and then making none. I still believe in SS so I hope the X-files will continue, and if not its time to look at the company in a different way. I still think the CSM is one of the best figures SS has produced and its sad he hasn't sold well. But there isn't that many to "complete" the line, I was hoping for the Lone Gun men 3-pack during the SDCC, but time will tell.

And I'm surprised that other lines aren't doing well, "Star Trek" I thougth was big with collectors but nothing new there. All's SS has to do is release 1 figure for each line, with a low edition announced after pre-orders to cause some buzz for the lines that aten't doing well. Basic Ecomonics.

Lets not forget SS did Platoon at a 500 edition size to complete the main Characters, but that was long ago. It seems they have moved from this "idea" and went to a more high end collectible $300 and up which seems to be the main focus, I just wonder if someone new to the company is responsible for these changes. The high end collibles are great but I rather have a completed line for $1000.00 instead of a Predator figure. And if the lines continue to be "forgtten" it will doom SS. Just like the explanation that Faramir wasn't made because he was "human" and doesn't sell well, = "SELLOUT"!

Hi Dr2Red, welcome to the board.

They made 8 Outer Limits figures and 5 Twilight Zone figs. I have them all. I love 'em, if you didn't already know.

I think it would be easier to campaign Sideshow for another figure from a licence they have, than badger them for 'Farscape'. :p

How can you justify making new TZ or OL figures when they still languish on the shelves even at clearance prices? There just wasn't a demand for these figures.

These are sold out from Sideshows site. I find that great demand, seeing as how they were edition sizes of 5000 & 7500. The fact that they languished, may have been due to the lack of demand and high edition size. What is demand anyway? Does something have to sell within two months, or forever be discarded?

On the flip side, Sideshow have my respect for producing figures that they themselves might want, and producing them, despite the odds. It was because of the Outer Limits that I have became a Sideshow Freak, it is dear to my heart, and confirmed what I believe Sideshow to be. For the collector, despite my negativity at times.

Have things changed so much that it has become all about screwing the collector out of the dollar rather than giving them what they want for a buck. A collectible remains collectible for a lifetime, not just this year, or does it? Things sure are changing.

Thanks Creech

Discovering Sideshow fairly recently

I have missed some of the items were produced a while ago.
So I have to make it up with later items. I don't mind
in some of the buffy stuff but I would have liked some of
the Outer limits figures and some of the Uni Monsters.

So I will take what I can get and be happy that some
one makes the figures in the size I want.

Well Dr, I'm glad to see another Outer Limits fan on board. There are enough Universal Monster fans here already. :lol

There are still lots of cheap Outer Limits on ebay. One may be a store near you where you can see them, not likely, but let me tell you, they are exceptional renditions of the creatures they portray. The bat wing costume of the Ebonite, is one of my faves. They are different and not to everyones taste.

Where's the new figures? Interestingly, demand is where the action lies. Demand can be measured on ebay. As a point of reference, ebay, sells a great percentage of the items that go up for sale. Someone is buying this stuff for whatever reason. Or more to the point, not buying it from Sideshow, to buy it from ebay at, sometimes, astoundingly low prices, as I see it from my part of the planet. Sideshow may have accurately estimated the edition sizes, and collectors, see the trend ebay that has been created. Wait for the deal, there will be one. Sideshow need support, more directly, than on the secondary market. They have more or less just stated so. Demand from Sideshow will be more likely if they reduce their edition sizes, if Sideshow output slows down I will be fine with it, while they belt out the higher end stuff. If releases like Der Kinderstod support Sideshow, bring it on. I like that sort of exclusive, available here for a reasonable price, for here anyway. If the edition size of 2500 is too high, as it still hasn't sold out seems to state, lower it again. The impact must create a more urgent demand, as the likelihood of them appearing on ebay becomes, that much more, less.

If it was about the buck they'd be making widgets.
Or another version of an existing character. :p

I still think the CSM is one of the best figures SS has produced
Definitely!!! A great sculpt, great suit, decent accessories...BULLSEYE!!!

Thanks Creech for the heads up on Ebay.
I had stopped buying things there because of
the shipping fees but if I can get the Ebonite
for a good price I don't mind spending a bit
more for shipping.

I live in Niagara Falls Canada.
I pretty much stopped buying things
from the states on ebay because
of shipping and duty.
I am willing to spend a bit more
for an item I just have to have.
I try to buy from Canadian sellers
if I do want something but it
is hard to find the items here.

Of course I just have to have
exclusives from Sideshow.

I can't vouch for what may be in stock, but have you tried Alter Ego Comics or Dr Toys Closeouts?? I have bought from both and never had a problem.

Thanks for the info Ironman1188 or can I call
you Irony.

Sorry, least funny thing I said all week.

;) Hey, we're all friends here! And I've been called lots worse on this board.

I'm still, impatiently, waiting for my Doggett figure to show up that I ordered back in April. Since they don't have them on SS's website yet, I'm assuming they're not ready yet. The wait is killing me.

So far the only SS item I have is Cancer Man, he's sooo awesome. I certainly hope that they don't kill this line before they really gave it a chance to begin. W/ rumors of a new film being in the works - DVD sales booming - I'd only expect this line to start getting more attention as time passes.

I like having something other than ONLY SW displayed in my office. :lvader

Back