SDCC For Noobies. Question and Answer!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's true--last year, a guy who was being chased by security ran up and gave me a handful of cocaine, so I put it in my emergency condom, tied it off and swallowed it. I was able to retrieve it later and made a pretty good profit getting rid of my Comic Con souvenir on the secondary market.

Thanks again man.

Cell phone..and arrange to exchange phone #s with a coupla a trusty friends. ONLY way to link up sometimes.
Your phone must be set to vibrate because there is no way you'll be able to hear it ring!
sad.gif

Eat at Phil's BBQ, it's teh awesome. It was on Goldfish St. but I think it has since moved. Also there is an awesome Joe's CrabShack behind the con. Also deodorant please.

My main tip is have things planned out well before the show. PO any Ex you want that you can PO, have booth # written down where you want to go, panels you want to see, etc. Being planned out is the key.

Looks like you Freaks are going to have a great time---if I win the commercial contest I may see you there--
Don't forget us people that cannot go:monkey2

Looks like you Freaks are going to have a great time---if I win the commercial contest I may see you there--
Don't forget us people that cannot go:monkey2

YES! Get plenty of pictures vids!!!!

I wanna go!!!!!!! :monkey2

Eat at Phil's BBQ, it's teh awesome. It was on Goldfish St. but I think it has since moved.

Phils is on Midway, past the Sports Arena (you'd have to drive to get there from SDCC). Kansas City BBQ (where they filmed the bar scene in Tom Gun) has reopened after their fire, they are cheap and just across the street from SDCC.

When the programming is posted (usually a couple days before Preview Night) LOOK AT IT and make tentative plans for what you want to do each day. If you try to make plans day of you will miss something for sure.

Allow at least 2-3 hours between panels if they are in different ballrooms.

Sideshow gives away a CRAZY amount of goodies. Go by their booth early and pick up the contest schedule, they do multiple contests per day. If you are good/quick with SSC trivia you can win awesome stuff--the atmosphere is kinda like Spook chat. Doors of Indecision has to be seen to be believed.

Oh yah, Sideshow always gives out gift cards, in the last 3 years I've gotten 2x$75 and one $50 card. Highest value = $100.

Those are some of my secrets.

Man reading all this con talk makes me sooo jealous. You don't know how lucky you all are to be able to go to an event like this. Every year when all the convention talk starts makes me dream that one day I'll have enough money to be able afford to fly to the US to attend. But with the state the economy's in (Aussie Dollar is even worse off than the US dollar atm) it seems like a pipe dream.

Maybe I need to go for a loan against my house to cover the cost of flying to the US, hotel tickets, and all the convention expenses as well as giving myself a nice holiday touring around the country.

Would love to be able be there with you all and even more would love to make it to a Freaks Party just to meet you all in person.

Maybe I need to find myself a rich wealthy,female collector that wants to use me as there boy toy. :whip :monkey5 Surely they're out there. I'm not too proud, I could be a kept man. :date

Oh well there's always next year I guess.:rolleyes:

Just make sure you all take lots of pics for all of us here on the other side of the planet, especially of all you fellow Freaks that are lucky enough to attend as well as all those con attendees dressed up in costumes. To me that sounds like half the fun of conventions. Just walking round looking at everyone that had the guts to get all dressed up.

Just make sure you all take lots of pics for all of us here on the other side of the planet, especially of all you fellow Freaks that are lucky enough to attend as well as all those con attendees dressed up in costumes. To me that sounds like half the fun of conventions. Just walking round looking at everyone that had the guts to get all dressed up.

Sony a200 with a 4GB Flash card here! ;) :D :rock

I expect it will be just enough for all the pics I will be making of SDCC and San Diego! :monkey5

Have only been going for 3 years running, so hardly a vet, but I've learned a few things...

-Bring your own food, and do not attempt to eat it anywhere on the exhibition floor. I stopped to do such, and got yelled at by like 5 security people.
-Respect the security people. They are mostly nice, but you get a few angry ^^^^^es who will not compromise with you. Respect them, and just walk away, or you will get shanked.
-Please watch where you are walking. I know there's a lot to look at, and it's pretty much shoulder-to-shoulder, but there's no excuse for elbowing me in the tits because you can't pay the slightest attention to where you're headed.
-It's been suggested already, but FRICKIN SHOWER. I've met some of the nicest people at SDCC, but it's hard to want to carry on intelligent conversation when you're talking to someone who smells like they haven't bathed in weeks and are marinating in their own sweat.
-Meet people! Introduce yourself to people with similar interests! Last year, when Husker75 and I were waiting around for a panel to start, a noobie and her daughter asked us about how early they should arrive for the 24 panel. We ran into them again at the panel, exchanged contact info, and we were invited to their house for an awesome 24 tv-movie watching party with other 24 geeks.
-If you want to take a picture with that squadron of stormtroopers or that chick dressed like a Replicant, go for it and ask! I was way too shy my first year and missed some hella cool photo ops.

I'm hoping to have my 5D MK II & a Canon 24-70L by the time SDCC comes around!! Of course, that will be heavy as hell, so I guess I should start working out just to carry that around all 4 days. :lol

I'm hoping to have my 5D MK II & a Canon 24-70L by the time SDCC comes around!! Of course, that will be heavy as hell, so I guess I should start working out just to carry that around all 4 days. :lol
I have a DSLR and honestly I prefer having a point and shoot type camera there because of the lack of space and have had things spilled on mine(no damage luckily). Yeah it may take better pics but if your trying for product pics your shooting through glass or plexiglass so your not getting the greatest shots you can anyways. Plus a point and shoot is easier for those quick impromptu pics of costumes:naughty

Well, you just need a CP filter to kill reflection on glass. And don't use a damned flash.

And I'm sorry, but the SGs deserve DSLR camera goodness. :naughty :naughty :monkey5 :monkey5

But I will have my point and shoot as well.

Back