SDCC 2011

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey whats the deal with the signings? My sister wants to meet the supernatural guys and get some DVDs signed, are these signings invitation things or do you just have to wait in line for it?

Also I am planning on having my camera with me, will this be a problem if I go into panels?

I take my sister evey year too, the key, is if its something your passionate about, get in line early and be willing to sacrifice a good chunk of your day. In my experience it works out, you just have to prioritize, also, cameras have never been a problem. My sisters always grab pics, celebs are usually cool, just dont get star struck.

I am sure this has been discussed before but I am also a n00b going into this. If I camp out for one of the panels way early in the morning for one that is later in the day, do they kick you out of the halls between each panel or can you stay in there all day?

I am sure this has been discussed before but I am also a n00b going into this. If I camp out for one of the panels way early in the morning for one that is later in the day, do they kick you out of the halls between each panel or can you stay in there all day?

Nope. Panel rooms have never been cleared between panels in the past and I would expect that to still be the case this year.

Nope. Panel rooms have never been cleared between panels in the past and I would expect that to still be the case this year.
I have had them clear out rooms after panels.:dunno

If you are slick you can find a way to stay in the room.

Actually, they indeed used to clear rooms after panels (including Hall H) but thankfully stopped that practice a few years ago.

Actually, they indeed used to clear rooms after panels (including Hall H) but thankfully stopped that practice a few years ago.
That makes sense its been a few years since I have seen it happen but I remember we use to go talk to people in panel until they started to let people in then go site down.

I'll be noobing it up myself and my thought is as much as I want to see some panels, I dont want to wait in line all day and miss whats going on out at the booths and what not. Is the main floor something that most people just kinda stroll thru and see the few things you want and then your off to a panel for the rest of the day or what.
Personally Im really looking foward to see as much as possible so the thought of sitting in a line all day just doesnt sound very appealing to me. Again I dont know what Im talking about so someone set me straight here I guess. Whats the usual flow like?

I'll be noobing it up myself and my thought is as much as I want to see some panels, I dont want to wait in line all day and miss whats going on out at the booths and what not. Is the main floor something that most people just kinda stroll thru and see the few things you want and then your off to a panel for the rest of the day or what.
Personally Im really looking foward to see as much as possible so the thought of sitting in a line all day just doesnt sound very appealing to me. Again I dont know what Im talking about so someone set me straight here I guess. Whats the usual flow like?

I've never been someone to want to wait in a huge line for a panel either, and would rather spend time on the floor. Talking to the people in the booths, engaging them in conversation. I always thought that made the con a little more personal. A lot of the times, at least for me, I have been able to skip the panels and find the presenters on the floor. Then ask them any questions I would have at the panel. Granted most of the panels I attended were on 'how to make comics, collectibles, movies, etc...' If you're there to see celebrities though, you better be prepared to camp out in line. It all depends on your priorities.

Also, a few weeks before the show starts they will post the panel schedule and a floor map. I used to print those out and make a game plan before even getting to SD. After I got there, I would try to stick to my plan, but if something changed I would be flexible. There is always something to see there after all.

Hope that helps.

Like Dennis mentions AF, you should prioritize and be willing to be flexible and improvise. If something grabs your attention during the show, and there will be thousands of examples of this each day, simply refer to your schedule to see what you will potentially miss by taking the new path, weigh the pros and cons, and make your decision. Experience does help however...

Knowing the size of each room and your chances of getting in or not, as well as how early you will have to be at a certain location to even have a shot. Personally, in recent years with all the madness and overcrowding, I have stuck to primarily smaller panels and not had too much problem. When the schedule comes out, I copy it into a document and edit, edit, edit. Usually I end up with at least two panels for every time of the day, then I mark the most important one and shoot for that one. It does help if you can have consecutive panels in one room. The most important thing to remember is just have fun and don't stress about missing anything. At any moment in time at SDCC there will be about one million interesting things going on. Just know that you are experiencing the one thing you were meant to be at that moment. Talk to everybody!

Also, I really enjoyed having my camelback at CV, so that will be with me again, and I will save enough on water to buy another LOTR maquette! And bring food, and snacks, and eat when you are waiting in line for a panel or otherwise. The food at this convention center is pretty awful. But we will all eat like kings after the show ends each night when "the freaks come out at night" in the Gaslamp.

So, just a few tidbits of advice from a seven year veteran. :D

Yeah, I like water. I'm giving up the hard drink for good, although I have a feeling SDCC will be an exception if I find my way into some freak party here or there. Here's hoping for a Saturday night get together.

Interesting. Maybe they cleared them prior to 2002 (that was the first SDCC I attended and I've attended every one since then), so my experience has always been one of non-clearing panels. Of course Hall H didn't even exist in '02 (the entire convention center wasn't even being used up at that time), but I never had to clear out of panel rooms before (it was only after the very last panel of the day that you had to get the heck out dodge, ha!

I've never been someone to want to wait in a huge line for a panel either, and would rather spend time on the floor. Talking to the people in the booths, engaging them in conversation. I always thought that made the con a little more personal. A lot of the times, at least for me, I have been able to skip the panels and find the presenters on the floor. Then ask them any questions I would have at the panel. Granted most of the panels I attended were on 'how to make comics, collectibles, movies, etc...' If you're there to see celebrities though, you better be prepared to camp out in line. It all depends on your priorities.

Also, a few weeks before the show starts they will post the panel schedule and a floor map. I used to print those out and make a game plan before even getting to SD. After I got there, I would try to stick to my plan, but if something changed I would be flexible. There is always something to see there after all.

Hope that helps.

Like Dennis mentions AF, you should prioritize and be willing to be flexible and improvise. If something grabs your attention during the show, and there will be thousands of examples of this each day, simply refer to your schedule to see what you will potentially miss by taking the new path, weigh the pros and cons, and make your decision. Experience does help however...

Knowing the size of each room and your chances of getting in or not, as well as how early you will have to be at a certain location to even have a shot. Personally, in recent years with all the madness and overcrowding, I have stuck to primarily smaller panels and not had too much problem. When the schedule comes out, I copy it into a document and edit, edit, edit. Usually I end up with at least two panels for every time of the day, then I mark the most important one and shoot for that one. It does help if you can have consecutive panels in one room. The most important thing to remember is just have fun and don't stress about missing anything. At any moment in time at SDCC there will be about one million interesting things going on. Just know that you are experiencing the one thing you were meant to be at that moment. Talk to everybody!

Also, I really enjoyed having my camelback at CV, so that will be with me again, and I will save enough on water to buy another LOTR maquette! And bring food, and snacks, and eat when you are waiting in line for a panel or otherwise. The food at this convention center is pretty awful. But we will all eat like kings after the show ends each night when "the freaks come out at night" in the Gaslamp.

Thanks for the info. I think my priorities will be to hit the booths and as Dennis said make conversation with them. I dont really care about celebrities all that much. I want to talk to alot of artists also. Fury awesome bro, i was wondering that also if I can bring a book bag with me with some snacks and what not or at least have a bottle of water with me.

You guys are right though just incase I know I'll get side tracked so to have back up plans. :hi5:

No, but I'm confident that I won't have too much of a problem.

So does this means theres definitely gonna be a party! :bunnydanc

Last time I went...i stayed in Hall H for about 5 panels just to see the IronMan 2 panel (which was awesome)...its a real awesome experience to be in there !U kinda feel elite! :lol

I have had them clear out rooms after panels.:dunno

If you are slick you can find a way to stay in the room.

Bathrooms :lecture

Yeah dude...thats how I see things! I mean, u and I are coming all the way from Florida dude....why spend all our time in California standing in lines! :lol Unless if its one of the top things you wanna do, U know....like KillKen for example....he's coming all the way from Australia and he's ready to camp (hardcore).....
I just winged it in SDCC 2009! :lol Got to talk to a bunch of celebrities and artist and also managed to see a couple panels! :rock

Hope that helps.

Thanx for the info D!

This post is WAAYYY to long! :slap
P.S. Camelbacks are for nerds! :p

Thanks for the info. I think my priorities will be to hit the booths and as Dennis said make conversation with them. I dont really care about celebrities all that much. I want to talk to alot of artists also. Fury awesome bro, i was wondering that also if I can bring a book bag with me with some snacks and what not or at least have a bottle of water with me.

You guys are right though just incase I know I'll get side tracked so to have back up plans. :hi5:

Dude...like I said to you before....It's all about the Granola Bars and refillable water bottles! Survival yo!

Thankfully, SDCC has been cool with the snacks. Since I go with a group, we always bring a backpack with not only snacks but enough to make sandwiches, and chips. There is a little area with tables where you can park it and chow for a breather.

Biggest debate is do you want to do Hall H, then get in line early, pray and lose the day. The floor is really cool and takes a long time to see everything. Its slow moving because there is so many people crammed trying to get from place to place, you cant rush it. My personal style is spending time in the panels, that is where you get good conversation and details. I schedule 5 but only make it to 3. If the panel is important prioritize your favorites. Last year I went to a live Jim Lee drawing, no one expected the room to only hold lets say 25. Other rooms hold much more. Plan your rooms and times. Prioritize. Watch out for the star crazed fan girls, if there is cute guy on the pannel, girls are incredibly good at camping out, its made hall H impracticle now.

And one more thing. Deals can be had on Sunday, so reserve some shopping time for that day if there is anything you want to score. I will never forget passing on the Palisades Space Jockey, then doubling back for it, and it was gone. Great deal slipped away.

Back