Sculpey firm problem. (UPDATE FROM SCULPEY)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurdFerguson

Super Freak
Reaction score
The last few times I've bought sculpey firm, it's been abnormally soft, like super sculpey soft. Has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:
Re: Sculpey firm problem.

I noticed this last time I usually have to get a jackhammer to get it loose last week I got some and I could tear it off with my hands.

It's been super annoying. I usually have to rip little pieces off but with the last box, I could literally rip the while brick in half.

It's always been super firm when I've bought it... that'd be very strange if they changed the formula.

Also strange, the last box wasn't full. It looked like a chunk was missing on an end. I thought someone just took some but I was looking at it and it didn't look like it was cut with the garrote cutting tool or a knife. It looked factory cut, so that was a bummer. I'm going to email them and see if I can get any info on anything being changed and what not.

It's funny that you mention this. The last brick I purchased was softer than usual, but I feel like its perfect. Most bricks I get are truck baked and really hard to use.

It's funny that you mention this. The last brick I purchased was softer than usual, but I feel like its perfect. Most bricks I get are truck baked and really hard to use.

I'm kind of the same way... I actually don't like how stuiff the firm usually and mix it 50/50 with regular sculpey. So softer would be perfect for me :lol

Hello.
Thank you for contacting Polyform Products Company and your interest in our products. It sounds like the Super Sculpey Firm that you purchased is soft because it is fresh clay. The formulation for the Super Sculpey Firm has not changed.

What if the clay I purchased is too soft?
Occasionally, extremely fresh clay is shipped out or the clay has a little too much plasticizer in it and you may encounter a “squishy” bar. Trust us, this is a good thing. You can make clay firmer very easily! Protect your work surface with wax paper or foil. Simply roll the too-soft clay into sheets about 1/4″ thick. Sandwich it between sheets of clean, white paper, such as computer or copy paper. Do not use printed paper as the print will transfer to the clay. Place a sheet of wax paper or foil over the top sheets of paper. Use a book as a weight on top of the papers. Within an hour you will see the surface of the paper looking “oily.” This is plasticizer being “leached out.” Usually this only takes a couple of changes of the paper and the clay is the perfect consistency. Some artists prefer very stiff clay, and they continue the process several times.

Best regards,

Back