Saying Bye-Bye to collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abake

Rex Tremendae Majestatis
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess the title says it all, I'm taking an indefinite break from collecting.

The economic situation isn't helping, but it hasn't for a while now anyway. I think it has more to do with the fact that although I still like my toys, I just don't get such a thrill out of them anymore. It has got to the point where it all seems a bit silly, having over a hundred dollies all over the place, most of them stored in a closet or in their boxes.
I never felt that the main theme of my place should be my collection, and I've never had room for a "man-cave", so it became increasingly silly to have so many figures all over the place.
I'll still keep some that I really like, but about 90% of the collection is going. Hopefully they'll find nice homes. But I have to say, there is quite a liberating feeling, just letting go of so many things.

I'll still hang around and admire all the cool stuff coming out, and I'll still join in the discussions, this place is too much fun to leave.

Totally fair, sounds like the right decision for you.

I love living with less ? in all things, not just collectibles. It?s liberating and it promotes a certain ease.

I just went through a great purge myself and the favourites that remain really stand out and bring joy.

So much of what makes this hobby fun is intangible anyway; like the debates and discussions on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you’re making the right move. Absolutely no reason to stay in a hobby that doesn’t bring joy.

I also feel once the figures that are being bought are just going in a closet or staying in boxes then it’s time to re-evaluate why you’re buying them.

I’m glad you’re feeling good about the decision. Keep that feeling going, abake!

Glad to hear you'll still be around. ''You're a good fighter (abake), I hate to lose you'' - General Rieekan, Empire Strikes Back

Yeah, sounds like you're making the decision that is right for you. Myself, I've done pretty well the past few years in cutting way back but I'm still left with the legacy of having seriously gone over the top for so many years prior to that. I look at my collection and, remembering all the stuff that's also up in the attic, I feel somewhat overwhelmed by it all - and not really in a good way. Most of what's in the attic I definitely don't want anymore but of the huge amount of stuff I still have on display I'd have a nightmare of a time trying to decide what to sell and what to keep. So I'm still not quite where you are. I might need a few more years to truly get sick of some of this stuff - if that happens at all. But it could.

Priorities change, it happens. Am sure you'll feel it was the right decision when it's done

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Cheers, buddy.

Sorry to hear about your financial troubles, but it's probably the kick in the pants you needed to re-assess your collecting habits.

I too have cut back and have been slimming down my collection. I agree it's liberating in a way! I have a few things on pre-order, and am holding out for a couple more figures beyond that (Bespin Han, where are you?!?), but I think the end is near for me too. You are also right about it seeming a little silly when you take a step back. Every once in a while I'll take a hard look and see if there are any figures that I really don't enjoy as much anymore, or if whatever I have on pre-order is a better representation, and I'll sell them. Honestly when I started collecting (and when I joined this forum!) in 2008, I really didn't think I would ever part with any of the figures I was buying. But as the hobby got more sophisticated and technologically better, I realized those early figures really didn't cut it for me and saw no reason to keep anymore. The first big wave of sell-offs were mostly Sideshow figures, but now I'm getting rid of HT figures as well. I've got at least 3 right now on the chopping block. I just have to photograph them so I can put them up on ebay.

So be well and know you're doing what's right and that you'll be happier in the long run. And glad you'll still be around.:duff

There are many ways to down-size. One of the more interesting methods: if you think of getting rid of something 3 times, do so.

Another element to truly cutting down on non-essential physical possessions: Get rid of it even if you know you'll miss it.

I've done both and haven't regretted it. I get my minimalism from my dad. My mother's quite the opposite, which is maybe why I collect anything at all. :lol

I’m going through a cleaning out phase. Just trying to narrow down to what I really want. Some figures I kind of just bandwagon purchased (a lot of the Marvel stuff) and those are the ones I’m getting rid of most.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
I just wish I lived in the US or Europe, so it would be easier to sell off all this stuff, alas, I'm stuck in Colombia, a place notoriously devoid of collecting habits... :lol

I think what happens with these collections is that sooner or later a certain "completist" mindset takes over.
I remember when I started collecting WWII figures with DML's game-changing "Hans" figure, way back in 2000. Once I got that one, it was "hmm, maybe I should have an American soldier as well", then it was "hmmm, maybe I should get different types of Germans and Americans", and so on... Soon I had over a hundred WWII figures! And so it happens with every single category. SW? How about all the Jedi? Or maybe I need all of the ANH figures! DC? Maybe I need Snyder's Trinity... maybe I need all the Snyder-verse figures!

There comes a certain point where buying figures just becomes a habit.

But I don't regret it, collecting has given me great joy, and in a way it's been therapeutical. My winding down from a tough day at the office was some quality time kit bashing a figure or reposing some. So it's all good.

Nothing's forever.

Sure, there are lifelong collectors, but for the rest ... you enjoyed the act of collecting, you didn't marry the items. When you change, the collection changes or even goes away. What matters is the fun you had, not the stuff you own.

Yeah, I guess the title says it all, I'm taking an indefinite break from collecting.

The economic situation isn't helping, but it hasn't for a while now anyway. I think it has more to do with the fact that although I still like my toys, I just don't get such a thrill out of them anymore. It has got to the point where it all seems a bit silly, having over a hundred dollies all over the place, most of them stored in a closet or in their boxes.
I never felt that the main theme of my place should be my collection, and I've never had room for a "man-cave", so it became increasingly silly to have so many figures all over the place.
I'll still keep some that I really like, but about 90% of the collection is going. Hopefully they'll find nice homes. But I have to say, there is quite a liberating feeling, just letting go of so many things.

I'll still hang around and admire all the cool stuff coming out, and I'll still join in the discussions, this place is too much fun to leave.

Totally fair, sounds like the right decision for you.

I love living with less ? in all things, not just collectibles. It?s liberating and it promotes a certain ease.

I just went through a great purge myself and the favourites that remain really stand out and bring joy.

So much of what makes this hobby fun is intangible anyway; like the debates and discussions on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get it.. I have really cut back on mine.. And sometimes I think of selling it all (except my JAWS stuff) and I think it does not sound like a bad idea.

I did find that less is more. I see some peoples collections on youtube and I am like how can you enjoy it all?

Then there is the fact there is so much more out there today.. It use to be we would all share in the experience of getting something but now its always on to the next best thing.. Thread die a quick death because there are so many products by so many companies of the same items.. It ruins the fun of when we would all collectively wait for the same piece and wait with baited breath for the first inhand pics to come along.. Nobody really cares anymore.. Some threads dont even get in hand pics. It just does not feel as special.

I got 3 more larger pieces coming and then I am done.. Even then I will probably end up selling a piece or two to make the collection smaller.

[...]
Then there is the fact there is so much more out there today.. It use to be we would all share in the experience of getting something but now its always on to the next best thing.. Thread die a quick death because there are so many products by so many companies of the same items.. It ruins the fun of when we would all collectively wait for the same piece and wait with baited breath for the first inhand pics to come along.. Nobody really cares anymore.. Some threads dont even get in hand pics. It just does not feel as special. [...]

A friend and I were talking about this not too long ago.

It used to feel special and there used to be more time and shared experiences, but along with the proliferation of content has come an endless stream of merchandise.

I know this is going to make me sound old and grumpy but who wants characters from every single game, film or TV show that gets spewed out in this day and age? I see $1000 - $2000 statues or whatever of characters and looks that I really believe will be forgotten in a couple of years instead of enduring for decades and becoming pop culture icons. Nobody's going to care.

The world has changed and I think a lot of us are/were operating as if the old ways and rules still apply. When every film is an event there are no more events.

I'm not against leisure, not against art or pop culture, or down on the fact that the entertainment we love is at the forefront for the moment, but taking a look at the sheer volume of what's available to *buy* -- a fire-hose of ephemera -- I wonder when they transformed geeks into mere shoppers.

Just shoppers.

I know this is a weird sentiment to express on a *collector* forum but it just looks like a merch orgy to me with very little actual staying power.

My dirty little secret. I have most of Asmus LOTRs. Maybe half of 3zeros GOTs. The 3 released SPR figures. Many odd figures. And a handful of HTs. Besides the HTs, they are all still in boxes. I have 4 Detolfs which I assembled a couple years ago. They all sit empty. I ask myself all the time why I?m still collecting. I looked at a guy?s collection the other day on FB. About 20 HTs figures in a detolf and thought to myself, well there?s over 4 grand. It?s madness. I don?t blame you OP. I will be there someday myself.

A friend and I were talking about this not too long ago.

It used to feel special and there used to be more time and shared experiences, but along with the proliferation of content has come an endless stream of merchandise.

I know this is going to make me sound old and grumpy but who wants characters from every single game, film or TV show that gets spewed out in this day and age? I see $1000 - $2000 statues or whatever of characters and looks that I really believe will be forgotten in a couple of years instead of enduring for decades and becoming pop culture icons. Nobody's going to care.

The world has changed and I think a lot of us are/were operating as if the old ways and rules still apply. When every film is an event there are no more events.

I'm not against leisure, not against art or pop culture, or down on the fact that the entertainment we love is at the forefront for the moment, but taking a look at the sheer volume of what's available to *buy* -- a fire-hose of ephemera -- I wonder when they transformed geeks into mere shoppers.

Just shoppers.

I know this is a weird sentiment to express on a *collector* forum but it just looks like a merch orgy to me with very little actual staying power.

Yes I agree. There is a guy on youtube who has a huge collection.. But he gets things an does not even know what they are from as he never watched the movie its from or read the source material its based on. Just weird.. I mean I am not judging as it is obviously his passion.. But I dont get it.

And like you said.. Characters that are made that will be forgotten.. Seeing a lot of this stuff coming out comes across as junk.. Not because they are poorly made or sculpted but because they are culturally insignificant.. They actually make me kind of hate collecting. As I look at others waste money on these things and I know deep down I am viewed the same way by others :lol

But at least when people look at them they know who it is I am collecting so I guess I feel a little superior :lol

I believe in collect what you love.. But can you love everything :lol

But again it goes back to enjoying a shared experience. I go onto threads all the time to see what people think of an item that gets released and there are little to know comments.

How I long for the days when we use to argue about the original Batman PT pose or the heat ray vision eyes on Superman.. Or the bad Haircut on the Hulk comiquette :lol

Yep.. I guess I am finally at that "Get off my lawn" mentality :lol

Oh and prices are kind of killing it also. High ES + high prices + lots of products of same characters = Taking the fun out of it.

Now I am not a guy who collects for value.. But it use to be nice to know I could get close to what I paid for. Now with Ebay fees, taxes, and shipping cost... I dont ever come close. Facebook sales save me sometimes but its not as visible as ebay.

[...] Yep.. I guess I am finally at that "Get off my lawn" mentality :lol

I think for a property to "deserve" collectibles (I'm kinda half-serious, but you know what I mean...I think) it needs at least 2 out of 3 ingredients:

1. Craft
2. Heart
3. Test of Time

Craft isn't just the costuming, effects or art direction but the use of the medium itself.

Heart is a moving target and difficult to define, but it's kinda obvious when it's there and especially when it isn't.

The test of time ... is it still relevant, or moving, or entertaining ... taken out of temporal context?

The fire-hose of entertainment and merch turned on consumers today usually has just one of those things, if any.

Add to this the sheer volume of media makes it difficult or even impractical to sit with something, to meditate or reflect on it. Because it's on to the next thing.

My dirty little secret. I have most of Asmus LOTRs. Maybe half of 3zeros GOTs. The 3 released SPR figures. Many odd figures. And a handful of HTs. Besides the HTs, they are all still in boxes. I have 4 Detolfs which I assembled a couple years ago. They all sit empty. I ask myself all the time why I?m still collecting. I looked at a guy?s collection the other day on FB. About 20 HTs figures in a detolf and thought to myself, well there?s over 4 grand. It?s madness. I don?t blame you OP. I will be there someday myself.

For years I displayed most of my collection in my office at work. Three years ago I put all the figures in boxes 'cause I had just moved office and was waiting to renovate my studio so I could enjoy them at home. For one reason or another that renovation still hasn't happened... Now I'm out of a job and having to clear out my office, I'm reflecting on the last 3 years of not actually missing them a whole lot.

If one day my wife told me she'd listed them all online and made us a few grand I'd be really happy about it.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
I just wish I lived in the US or Europe, so it would be easier to sell off all this stuff, alas, I'm stuck in Colombia, a place notoriously devoid of collecting habits... :lol[...]

Why is that, do you think?

I don't know really... I've often thought about it.
I know latin countries further south, like Brasil, Argentina and Chile have pretty healthy collecting communities, as well as Venezuela (or at least Venezuela used to have it). I guess a few things come into play:
- a large, stable middle class with disposable income
- an affinity with western-european/north american culture
- a stable economy and political situation (goes hand in hand with the first point)

Both Argentina and Chile (I'm guessing Uruguay as well, but I've never been there) have a huge european influence - Italian and German, respectively - and I know Germans love their toys (especially trains sets). Brasil has a bit of everything (Italian and Japanese around Sao Paulo, German down south) and Venezuela's upper middle class also had a lot of Italian and Spanish influx. And all four countries had long periods of relative "quiet" under their respective dictatorships/oligarchies, so I guess that helped establish those "collecting" habits before economies plummeted in all those countries.
Colombia, on the other hand, while never having been under any dictatorships (and having one of the longest democratic traditions in the continent, if not the longest), was basically at war with itself for decades, and has always had a rather small middle class with little european roots. So I guess it's just not part of the Colombian mindset.
Kinda sad really, I find unhealthy when people have no hobbies.
They do ride a lot on bicycles though... :lol

Back