Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw the date on the first post... holy crap, a thread that's nearly ten years old! Doesn't this break some kind of internet record?

LOL, it might.
Like I said, this thread is actually older than 10 years. The original start date was lost in the crash.
For quite some time this was known as "the thread that wouldn't die" and a staple of the first page of threads.
Hopefully, it can become that again.

Hey guys! Good to see you Angel. I got to go ape again. It was awesome. My makeup was bleh and not spectacular but I had fun. And my sis went ape too for the first time ever. I keep being pulled in all directions...but Virgil unpainted undrilled headsculpt is available in 1:6 scale.

Hi Jessica,

I was hoping you could answer a question for me, Is it possible to shrink the 8" Neca Taylor head down to the 7" scale without too much difficulty? Thank you.

-Sticks

Glad to see that the dust has settled and this thread is back to the way it was in the past... Everything Ape!

It's great hearing from you all again. What's this about a 1:6 Virgil head and where can I see "That Beneath mutant cathedral that's being erected is simply breathtaking! How could ANY Ape fan NOT be moved by these creations?" I'm clueless...

LOL, it might.
Like I said, this thread is actually older than 10 years. The original start date was lost in the crash.
For quite some time this was known as "the thread that wouldn't die" and a staple of the first page of threads.
Hopefully, it can become that again.

I hate to contradict the general here, but this thread is not older than 10 years. I know how all Ape fans love timelines, well, here's one for the Sideshow Ape Line:

January/February 2004: Rumor hits the web that Sideshow has acquired the Ape licence.

Mid February 2004: In a newsletter sent to subscribers, Sideshow formally announces their POTA 12" figure line as well as plans for a Premium Format line as well which wouldn't see the light of day until 2008. Arround this time an POTA thread emerges on the Sideshow Freak forum.

July 2004: Sideshow unveils it's entire POTA figure line at San Diego Comic Con. I flew there JUST to see them and to take TONS of pictures.

September/October 2004: The first 12 POTA figure starts to arrive at mailboxes. It is the exclusive of Dr. Zaius (Forbidden Zone) with riding gear.

October 2004 - June 2005: Happy POTA fans rejoice in the wealth of releases and submit post after post on this forum their reactions to the releases as well as share their dreams of the line's future. It was a golden time.

July 2005: I return to San Diego Comic Con in anticipation to see the next wave of POTA prototype figures from Sideshow. There I meet for the first time sculptor Mat Falls. It was his enthusiasm for the property that sold the idea to Sideshow to make the figures in the first place. I was hoping that he would share with me some of the details of upcoming figures. However, he then infortms me that due to poor sales, the line will end with figures that are on display.

July/August 2005: I bring this sad news back to the forum. Everyone is crushed.

August 2005: Ironman1188 starts his own SEPARATE thread in an attempt to grab the attention of Sideshow and save the failing line. Once this thread is created, members cease to post at the original thread.

September 2005: Due to the growing community of Sideshow collectors, the forum moves to another server. Many threads are lost in the transfer. This thread survives. The original 2004 POTA thread does not. Perhaps the decision was made that since the line was ending that the original thread was not needed. My Join Date is listed as September 2005 but in actuality it is more like February 2004. I joined the Freak board around the same time I heard the line was announced in order to keep up with the news.

There are times where I do lament over the loss of that thread. I would love to go back and read some of those past posts when the Sideshow line was new and the enthusiasm was high.

Last edited:
It's great hearing from you all again. What's this about a 1:6 Virgil head and where can I see "That Beneath mutant cathedral that's being erected is simply breathtaking! How could ANY Ape fan NOT be moved by these creations?" I'm clueless...

For pictures of that cathedral check out the NECA Planet of the Apes thread in this section of the forum.

Hey guys! Good to see you Angel. I got to go ape again. It was awesome. My makeup was bleh and not spectacular but I had fun. And my sis went ape too for the first time ever. I keep being pulled in all directions...but Virgil unpainted undrilled headsculpt is available in 1:6 scale.

Any pics of you and your sis "going Ape?" If you do PLEASE post!

How much is the Virgil headsculpt, again? Very tempting!

I have evened out the fur on both sides of his face.
And hang on for costume pics. My sis did not want to wear a wig so I had to make a hair piece that combed through her real hair. This is her first time going ape and you never know how it is going to look until it is photographed. We have to mmake adjustments I know.

Sticks it is easy to scale down 1:9 headsculpt into 1:10 scale. You need to make a mold of the original and then make a cast with shrinking silicone, let it shrink a bit for a few days. And then make another mold when it is in perfect scale, pour a wax cast so you can fix bubbles and imperfections (I do not have access to a pressure pot nor do I have a vacuum chamber). Then make another mold and then you can pour a resin cast.

Bear with me as I post photos from my latest esc"ape"ades.

I told my son Ashton he should not dress in ape gear when we are in ape gear or he would never see the convention. So when we were our human s3lves he put on Dylan's mask and had a blast. He looked awesome too.

Last edited:
Wow... Sticks, JJ, Jessica and Angel... all posting on this thread.... WHAT YEAR IS THIS?

We just hit a Hasslein Curve!

This was us after hours of putting on makeup. I think it took 4 hours because I was doing 2 of us and we were taking photos as we went. My sister was just all butterflies since she is such a big Norman Reedus fan. I wanted to take better photos but darn it so hard to take a selfie when your sister is rushing you. After the third blurry photo I said screw it. Norman here we come ready or not.

This is Sean Clark, handler for Norman Reedus. He posted our photo kissing him on his instagram. Lol! This was my favorite pic of the con just because it is ridiculously awesome.

My sister's modus operandi for going ape was just to be next to Norman Reedus. And she was able to do that

My M.O. was just putting on ape gear and trying to look as movie accurate as possible. Look who we took a photo with...Sean Patrick Flannery. I asked him if it was ok to hold his chest for the photo and he said yes. giggle!

Last edited:
Last photo. It is impossible to be called up and be with Norman Reedus unless you pay for the photo op which costs hundreds probably and lasts 5 seconds. So it was super awesome that he had us come up to him and flank him as he signed autographs for his fans. Zarah his handler also put us on her instagram. That's her behind me. I can't remember what was so funny. I think it was just the ridiculousness of us being there.

Sticks it is easy to scale down 1:9 headsculpt into 1:10 scale. You need to make a mold of the original and then make a cast with shrinking silicone, let it shrink a bit for a few days. And then make another mold when it is in perfect scale, pour a wax cast so you can fix bubbles and imperfections (I do not have access to a pressure pot nor do I have a vacuum chamber). Then make another mold and then you can pour a resin cast.

Thank you Jessica. Wow, that sounds like a lot of work, have you already done it, or do you intend on doing so in the future? I know you have experience in this department and am sure you would do a much better job. I know you are extremely busy, just wondering if you still dallied in the Mego world, and if you have made any custom ape figures lately.

-Sticks

P.S. It looks like your son had a grand time wearing that mask, it looks cool!

I was going to shrink a Taylor head for someone but he found something else. And it looked pretty good too. It just takes time.

I recently finished a NECA Cornelius enlarged to Mego scale. He looks pretty badass. I changed him up a bit because the NECA Cornelius looks so angry.

This Julius is 1:6. I made his ape toes boots from regular plastic type boots using an air dry epoxy. Painted it with black nail polish and finished it off with clear matte nail polish

Last edited:
I am working on the Hot Toys Evil Superman headsculpt and reworking it to make it more movie accurate. It was looking spectacular but my kid got a hold of it so I had to remelt the wax.

Thank you for posting those pics, Jess. Seeing you and your sis in costume made my day.

Back