Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am bored, and tried to sculpt from scratch but it wasn't working, so instead I grabbed this ugly guy and am in the midst of turning him into Dr. Honorious. Trying out Sculpey Firm...like it because I can see every single dent (unlike Super Sculpey)...but I prefer the softness of the Super Sculpey.

dsc04862.jpg

Had to cut off his schnoz because it was too big.
dsc04863t.jpg

dsc04864n.jpg

Still a lot of work to do, but this is relaxing.
dsc04865zg.jpg

isn't that Maximus on your screen?

guys what do you think of this hair? Does he still have that Dr. Zaius vibe going? I really want him to look spectacular. I guess I should stop working on him and see him with fresh eyes tomorrow. I'm just really obsessed about getting these apes sculpted and trying to get better.

dsc04870u.jpg

Incredible likeness! That's a big kudos to you. That sculpt is sheer beauty. :hi5:

Hey I-man...

I know you will be getting the Abbott and Costello heads once they are completed and up for sale. I found the perfect body height wise for Lou. It stands just shy of 11" which translates to about 5'4'' or there abouts. Lou's height was recorded at 5'5" so we have just about a perfect match. The packaging and this link say that the figure is 12" but I went to Blick Art Material today and measured it.

There are some problems though it lists for $59.00 (The website has a 16% discount which brings it to $50) I think that is rather pricy. The other problem is that he still needs to be fattened up. I plan on fattening him up using the technique in the photo below.

The good thing is it eliminates height altering surgery.

It comes with two fisted hands as well as open hands. And two neck adapters.

I won't be buying until I have the heads in my hot little hands.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/manga-manikins/

Either way, you've done excellent work with it. Very good likeness. Aside from being stiffer, how is the Sculpey-Firm to work with? I've been seeing it around, and have gotten curious(I do have a vested interest, after all)...PS

Wow Jessica that looks excellent. I see a gorilla in there.

Jom- congrats on finally getting your Lou and Abbot. You must be excited. That's a great idea using a doll torso for a fat body.

Either way, you've done excellent work with it. Very good likeness. Aside from being stiffer, how is the Sculpey-Firm to work with? I've been seeing it around, and have gotten curious(I do have a vested interest, after all)...PS

I like the texture of Super Sculpey better--it's soft but it's very translucent and you can't see all the dings. With this Sculpey firm, you can get that consistency but you have to warm up the clay or it is crumbly. What I like about the firm sculpey is that you can see all of the texture of the clay. With the Super Sculpey, because of its color, sometimes you wouldn't notice dings/holes/dents until it was baked...sometimes you couldn't even see those until you have made your cast, which is frustrating because then you've wasted the mold. :gah: Firm is only $2 more than super Sculpey but it's totally worth it. I like to be able to see the whole surface. I talked to Sandy Collora today about sculpting--he makes his own clay with Super Sculpey and mixes other colors. He grinds it through a meat grinder. Thought that was an awesome tip. Basically you can make your own firm clay...but I never thought to use a meat grinder.

Thanks JJ.
I too am waiting to have them before I make any final decisions but at the moment am leaning towards using a Yamato male body. I have several different "fat" suits that I will try as well. I like your fattening idea for a couple other projects though.
Thanks!

Jungle I really like those obitsu figures! Wow....think of the possibilities as far as posing was concerned! I'll have to see if I can sell enough stuff to be able to buy a male and female.

I have one of the females Obitsu figures. Honestly, I am not all that impressed with it. I am only holding onto it to see if anyone makes a Fiona sculpt from Burn Notice and then how it might work on that body as its thin enough for Gabrielle Anwar.

Hey, I-man...

I couldn't find the Yamoto male body and the different fat suits you speak of on the internet.

Could you possibly post some pictures or a link?

Old Joe Infirmary used to sell the Yamato nudes. Don't know if they still do or not though. The fat suits are just versions I've accumulated over the years.

I've massaged Dr. H's hairline a bit. I think it's better. Should I add more eyebrows...or would that look better painted in?
dsc04894a.jpg

dsc04899v.jpg

I also tried to work on my favorite Prefect, but I wasn't feeling him...
dsc04893b.jpg

So I ended up with this guy instead, Dr. M. I think his hairline is going to be a nightmare, but I need to push on and keep trying. Yeah, I know he looks kind of rough, but I am too excited to sleep and I wanted to keep sculpting. Good night Central City.
dsc04900x.jpg

I would leave Honorious' as is. Painting will finalize him.
He looks GREAT!
Maximus is shaping up to be a suberb likeness as well.
My envy of your talent rises! :bow

Back