Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just click the picture frame icon when you're on the reply screen, and enter the URL.

This is what I have used:

https://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

I'll have to check my backup computer to be 100% sure, but I think I used mixture #432 (1 Tbs Wine, 1 Tsp Black, 1 Cup Water)

I first remove the color (see thumbnail photo). Then I dye the uniforms.

Results:
546184_322479471158618_1480980761_n.jpg

Have fun and be safe.

Thank's TDP for the info going shopping this weekend. Did you go to a hobby shop or a fabric store for those dye's?

I just click the picture frame icon when you're on the reply screen, and enter the URL.

Hi Michael! Do you mean the url on photo bucket? If so, can I get the website there to post pictures? Thanks, Kent.:stick

Hi Michael! Do you mean the url on photo bucket? If so, can I get the website there to post pictures? Thanks, Kent.:stick

Yes, I copy the direct link from photobucket, come over here, hit reply, and there's a small icon that resembles a picture frame. Click that, highlight where you you want to paste it, and there. If you post multiple pics, though, make sure to move the cursor to the next line first, because it leaves it inside the code in the reply box.

They have Rit fabric dye at Jo Ann Fabrics. I used the "wine" one to dye my female gorilla... :)

Im going to resculpt the hairline. It's too widows peak-ish for a chimp. Is there a specific acrylic paint you guys use for chimp skin tone? Mixing colors is hard if you want to do touch ups later to keep achieving the same tone.

Does anyone have any decent pictures of any of the midgets that portrayed child chimps? More specifically, their prosthetics/masks? I'm planning on reworking and growing my ape child collection. I want to recreate the classroom scene from Battle.

Oh, and maybe the "look! It's a man!" gorilla child from Planet?

Last edited:
I'm done! Huge thanks to Ironman for helping me every step of the way and putting up with all of my ridiculous newbie questions! I really wanted to make something at least respectable, and I'm pretty proud of this! Cant wait to do more projects.

He's barefoot right now until the spare set of SS chimp shoes come in. I also threw Hasbro chimp tunic on him until I'm able to track down an extra SS tunic.

He's not based on any particular character. His tunic has no glyphs, though (using them for upcoming projects), so he can't be anyone important! :p
I can't take any credit, the work was all yours.
A mutant guard has virdon!:slap
LOL! I always used that head for my Hondo from TV's S.W.A.T.
Hey IM! How do you put larger pictures on like everyone else seems to know how to do here, thanks?
I use photobucket. Once the photo is "hosted" you can move the mouse over the image and get 4 options. The bottom one copies the link. Just copy the link and paste it right into the reply. Nice, quick, 2 click image posting.

So, I resculpted some of my chimps hairline to get rid of the weird, narrow, pointy widows peak. I made the mistake of putting the entire nude figure in the oven, and the result was a deformed, caved in leg, and some weird fever blisters all over the body. Good news is, the head came out good. Now I need to grab another body. The TT body I was using was good, but boy are those joints loose! He was a tad tall for a chimpanzee too (to be fair, I originally bought it for a gorilla, but changed my mind). So it's back to the drawing board for a chimp body. I'll definitely snag another TT body, though, for a future gorilla project.

Anyway, here's my reworked chimp... I tried adjusting the colors a little more too. I'm happy with the hairline now.

d019d3f9.jpg

876953be.jpg

75aa073f.jpg

6f75600d.jpg

P.S. If anyone is willing to sell me SS chimp clothes, my wallet is open.. :)

Hey Darkness - Every time I tried dying, it would come out a very different color than advertised. Granted, I didn't use the color remover or mix in the vinegars or anything. Do you need to use the remover even on white articles of clothing? Because even a white top I tried dying came out a different color.

I want to dye some mego clothes green with this. I'm tired painting clothes with fabric paint...it gets so stiff and phony looking...

faa17dc0.jpg

Got the last 2 of the 3 piece set of chimp head sculpts today... Going to transform them!

82618e53.jpg

Here's the original one resculpted yet again. I got mego shoes in today too that I'm going to try sculpting.

657fefd8.jpg

bc5052fa.jpg

The nose is a little screwed up. Ill fix it. The projects never end!

Last edited:
Hey Darkness - Every time I tried dying, it would come out a very different color than advertised. Granted, I didn't use the color remover or mix in the vinegars or anything. Do you need to use the remover even on white articles of clothing? Because even a white top I tried dying came out a different color.

I have similar problems. The darker cloth makes the uniform darker. The best I could do is precisely measure everything.

I did experiments with a more plum color, but it didn't look right to me.

Back