Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jess, any chance the two Galens would be available as casts for Christmas?

TFG, those are quite decent first attempts. The biggest foe I have in starting to sculpt is, as so many have said, it takes patience. The one thing I have an enormous shortage of is just that. I have asked so many to take on different tasks and I've either been turned down [mostly because they are sculpts that may not appeal to the masses] or been told yes and then strung along until I just give up on that person or I see them turning out work for others that I know very well asked after me and, again, I give up on that person. I have over the last year started some painting much for the same reason. I am still not happy with most of the fle___one that I find and it deters me from moving forward for a time.
I haven't found the "perfect" medium for sculpting yet as so many have mentioned different ones. The sculpting in layers that was mentioned involving sculpey is giving me 2nd thoughts about using it.
Anyway, with so many ideas on my mind [POTA, Trek, Star Wars, V, Farscape, Planet Earth, Andromeda...] my first sculpt may not be "human" enough to be a dterrent.

Yeah, if patience isnt your thing then it might be quite difficult.Whats giving you second thoughts about the layers though? The time involved? I dont think theres any other way of sculpting really. Even if youre someone who sculpts by taking away layers, theres going to be a time when adding layers is needed. Its really not that hard to do to be honest. I dreaded the idea of sculpting at first and held it off for many years. But when I got brave enough to try it, I just thought this isnt as hard as I imagined.
I think you should just give it a try and have fun doing a quick mess about head. Thats what I did on my 1st attempt seen above. I wasnt even trying at all.
For my 2nd and 3rd attempts, I actually put a LOT of time and effort in. I think it might get quicker and easier as I sculpt more often because I seem to pick up new small techniques all the time. If I were you, Id sculpt an animal(like a chimp) or a monster for your 1st sculpt. I would avoid trying to sculpt a human face for now.
Are you any good at drawing? I think that probably helps a bit.

Last edited:
On the subject of Rise of the Planet of the Apes coming to DVD tomorrow, I've just noticed that Rise just beat Captain America in domestic grosses. Now Caesar stands between the Cap and Thor. :clap :clap :clap

I also didn't realize that the Tim Burton reimagining is the highest grossing Apes film to date. Of course, there is no foriegn grossses for the original saga... that information wasn't tracked then.

It's interesting to look how all of the films stack up moneywise:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=planetoftheapes.htm

Sorry about all this talk about "numbers". Being in the theater bizz, you tend to develop an unsettling preoccupation with film grosses. :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

Well, to compare the original Planet of the Apes with Burton's POS is just plain blasphemy! There were a bazillion less people 40+ year ago...plus it had been more than 30 years since the original film so when Burton's crapfest came out, everyone ran to see it like lemmings...without knowing how effing awful it was going to be....so there!!

grumble grumble grumble...

Hey IM--I can't promise that the Galens will be complete before/by Christmas because I have not ordered the mold/cast material yet. Dr. Galen is 1/4 of the way in a mold, and hopefully there are no bubbles on him...but I won't be able to tell until I pour the cast. It's all just very stressful this mold making...because you don't want to waste it...plus I don't have the resources to use a vacuum chamber or pressure pot...must rely on ape technology to get really clean casts...

Bravo TFG on your successes in sculpting!! You really have no other options once you start except to bigger and better projects. Each sculpt will always be better than your last, and that is a given. IM I suggest you start sculpting apes--you really can't mess up an ape sculpt methinks...

And TDP--your Caesar is tops!! Sculpting hands must be VERY difficult.

I'm kind of stuck on my Mego-scale Penguin--have to MacGuyver fitting the head onto the body...so that I can overcome that problem and then think about sewing his outfit. One baby step at a time, though...

PLUS I am hanging out with my girlfriend more than I am staying at home so I can't spend the time I need to get my projects done. Before I know it, it's time to pick up the gorillas from school and then dinner...and then piano practice (so now there's 4 of us taking 1 hour each on the piano! gadzooks!!). I try to get my practice done before the gorillas get home...so that there's only 3 hours to mind. Sometimes I let them off easy and tell them to just practice for 45 minutes. I love it when they are excited to only practice for 45 minutes each...!!

Last edited:
Yeah, if patience isnt your thing then it might be quite difficult.Whats giving you second thoughts about the layers though? The time involved? I dont think theres any other way of sculpting really. Even if youre someone who sculpts by taking away layers, theres going to be a time when adding layers is needed. Its really not that hard to do to be honest. I dreaded the idea of sculpting at first and held it off for many years. But when I got brave enough to try it, I just thought this isnt as hard as I imagined.
I think you should just give it a try and have fun doing a quick mess about head. Thats what I did on my 1st attempt seen above. I wasnt even trying at all.
For my 2nd and 3rd attempts, I actually put a LOT of time and effort in. I think it might get quicker and easier as I sculpt more often because I seem to pick up new small techniques all the time. If I were you, Id sculpt an animal(like a chimp) or a monster for your 1st sculpt. I would avoid trying to sculpt a human face for now.
Are you any good at drawing? I think that probably helps a bit.
I think its that I want the heads I want NOW. Added steps push that even farther away and with my lack of sculpting skill increrasing the time to the end product, when I don't even know if it will be useable is deterring me. If I had Jess' talent there would be 300-400 more sculpts available for everyone, but, alas, I don't.
On the subject of Rise of the Planet of the Apes coming to DVD tomorrow, I've just noticed that Rise just beat Captain America in domestic grosses. Now Caesar stands between the Cap and Thor. :clap :clap :clap

I also didn't realize that the Tim Burton reimagining is the highest grossing Apes film to date. Of course, there is no foriegn grossses for the original saga... that information wasn't tracked then.

It's interesting to look how all of the films stack up moneywise:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=planetoftheapes.htm

Sorry about all this talk about "numbers". Being in the theater bizz, you tend to develop an unsettling preoccupation with film grosses. :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:
I always hated how they say this film or that film is the highest grossing film. To me that isn't a fair way to look at it. If a ticket nowadays is $10 or more then of course your film's gross is going to be higher than a film from 40+ years ago when the admission was what $0.75. I'd like to see a comparison of tickets sold rather than ticket sales.
Hey IM--I can't promise that the Galens will be complete before/by Christmas because I have not ordered the mold/cast material yet. Dr. Galen is 1/4 of the way in a mold, and hopefully there are no bubbles on him...but I won't be able to tell until I pour the cast. It's all just very stressful this mold making...because you don't want to waste it...plus I don't have the resources to use a vacuum chamber or pressure pot...must rely on ape technology to get really clean casts...

No prob, I was just hoping for something cheery this Christmas season.

Hi guys, I need your help. I'm painting a Marx toys horse and I want the rider to be my Hot Toys Gorilla Soldier so I want to make a 1/6 scale saddle.
Does someone have some clear pictures of the Planet of the Apes' horses saddles? I know Gorillas use to hang his backpacks over one side of the horseback but I can't find any picture of the saddle itself.

Thank you so much in advance!! :horse

I always hated how they say this film or that film is the highest grossing film. To me that isn't a fair way to look at it. If a ticket nowadays is $10 or more then of course your film's gross is going to be higher than a film from 40+ years ago when the admission was what $0.75. I'd like to see a comparison of tickets sold rather than ticket sales.

Well, if you clicked through the link you would see that there is an effort to caulcate attendance rather than just money. It's a column that adjusts the original films for inflation. It's just an estimate but it's interesting to look at nevertheless. At least to me.

Like the original "Apes" made $32 million in it's run which translates into roughly $198 million today... with the $10 tickets. And even with this adjustment, Burton's film is far and away the most attended, sad to say.

It is worthy to note that sci-fi wasn't that popular of a film genre back in the '60's. It took something called "Star Wars" to really shke things up. Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Superhero/Horror films are now Hollywood's trusted tentpole films.

Hi guys, I need your help. I'm painting a Marx toys horse and I want the rider to be my Hot Toys Gorilla Soldier so I want to make a 1/6 scale saddle.
Does someone have some clear pictures of the Planet of the Apes' horses saddles? I know Gorillas use to hang his backpacks over one side of the horseback but I can't find any picture of the saddle itself.

Thank you so much in advance!! :horse

I was told that these were just your commonly found western type saddles...you don't see much of them because they were covered with blankets. It's whatever extras they had on the Fox lot...and they had tons of Western saddles. I don't remember many photos that were clear enough. You can see a little bit of the saddles behind Zira/Cornelius on the beach scene....I'd have to look at the movie again. I haven't seen it for quite some time.

I end up with just a fur as saddle and this is the result. It's a repainted Marx Toys horse and with some "real" hair added. The poster is long time hanging on my living room's wall and it's original from the date they released the movie here in Spain.
:monkey1
caballo099.jpg

caballo090.jpg

caballo087.jpg

caballo076.jpg

caballo074.jpg

caballo065.jpg

LOL! That looks really wonderful!! I love how it looks like Nova is l trying to kick his back. Love the horse's upgrade!!

Last edited:
I guess there is some sort of Christmas spirit on the "Planet of the Apes", it seems to be the wrong kind... No Peace on Earth and Ill Will to Men. lol.

Last edited:
Hey!! Look what I thought to do today! This is Apethoven's ape mask on a Hot Toys gorilla!! He unbelievably has very gorilla-like features!!! He just needs eyeballs and a forehead removal...

dsc01624l.jpg

I know this is an old post, but does anyone have this Apethoven face I could purchase?

If I ever have time, I want to make an Albino gorilla general. I need an aged and experienced face but can’t sculpt.

The new Boom comics show the original soldier uniforms and some new stuff. I gave it a chance, because I needed to feed my inner ape. ;)

Back