Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG!!! I have never seen this photo before!!!

53741.jpg

and guess what? I found Zira's skirt at Burlington Coat Factory yesterday when I accompanied my sister to go shopping. It's two sizes too big...but I don't care...I will just have to alter it...I'm so excited. Slowly...my outfit comes together. My deadline is 2013 because due to construction at the Moscone Center, Wondercon is being moved to Anaheim in 2012. I couldn't sleep last night--don't know if it's from the excitement of finding that skirt...or because my legs/feet were hurting because I went ballroom dancing with my girlfriend.

Mego scale:
DSC07914.jpg

DSC07911.jpg

This is underneath that makeup:
DSC07009.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the start of my nativity set. Unfortunately I couldn't find the head of the baby chimp, so I am going to have to sculpt that....I already have Cornelius. I will have to paint him up and outfit him properly. One of my buddies suggested that I do a few figures every year so I don't get overwhelmed. At least it's a start!!

DSC07926.jpg

That is looking good.

With my work schedule, I am making slow progress on my ROTPOTA Ceasar. I saw a professional customizer's video and bought the same Apoxie Sculpt he uses. I had to sculpt little parts then let it cure a day, making progress even slower.

I am learning, but sculpting is a talent I may never have. :(

I was so disappointed but I am forcing myself to finish it no matter how it looks.

The hands and feet are ready for primer / painting. The arms and legs will have the black mongolian fur.

Here are some work in progress pics.

TDP--Caesar is looking good. Keep at it...it's frustrating sometimes, but you can't let that stop you. Particularly because nobody else is going to sculpt these apes...so you have to keep at it!!

Did I tell you that I'm learning how to play the piano? Talk about frustration!! Especially since my youngest kid plays at level 5...I'm just plunking keys at this point, trying to force my fingers into the correct shape as I press the keys.

Here's Baby Milo in progress and original one that I lost the head to:
DSC07928.jpg
dsc05698e.jpg

I guess I have to order some more mold/casting material. What I have in-house is slated for my General Ursus helmet...as soon as I can manage to get back on that project....

Last edited:
That is looking good.

With my work schedule, I am making slow progress on my ROTPOTA Ceasar. I saw a professional customizer's video and bought the same Apoxie Sculpt he uses. I had to sculpt little parts then let it cure a day, making progress even slower.

I am learning, but sculpting is a talent I may never have. :(

I was so disappointed but I am forcing myself to finish it no matter how it looks.

The hands and feet are ready for primer / painting. The arms and legs will have the black mongolian fur.

Here are some work in progress pics.

:thud::clap:clap:clap That looks incredible man! Jess, your baby Milo looks great too!:clap:clap:clap

Wow wow wow, that is some great sculpt work. I would luv to be able to sculpt stuff myself. Looking forward to seeing more, thanks for sharing.

Still have to paint him up. Baby Milo should look better once he's painted. :hi5: Also...on a side note, I tried to give him a nose like Zira/Cornelius because they did add a foam latex fake nose on the baby chimp they used...so the sculpt is different from the reference photo...

DSC07930.jpg

Tomorrow I will see if I can rig up an outfit for Cornelius....If I can just get Zira, Cornelius and Baby Milo finished before Christmas...then wow. I would have accomplished/completed something!! (It will be a miracle!!)

Last edited:
Wow!!!
Caesar looks fantastic! I am strting to sculpt myself. No one is sculpting most of the figures I need [want] so I've bought a few tutorial books and a set of tools. We'll see how that works out.
Can't wait to pick Rise up on Tuesday!

Wow!!!
Caesar looks fantastic! I am strting to sculpt myself. No one is sculpting most of the figures I need [want] so I've bought a few tutorial books and a set of tools. We'll see how that works out.

Yes!! Good for you!!! :yess:

It may look like crap at first...:gah: it always does...it could take years but you need patience and perseverance. The best tools for me are the lightweight cheapie hardwood tools that do not cost more than $12 for a set...and probably the dedicated oven at $50 that I purchased at Costco to cure the sculpey. A handy one is a toothpick where one end is very sharp and the other end blunt but rounded out with sandpaper. And with sculpey you can always work in layers--sometimes you have to work in layers because the sculpt is so delicate that you can only work on one side of it without smooshing the other. Other tools you will need depending on what you are sculpting with is a stiff but soft brush and some kind of chemical to brush off any fingerprints and sculpting marks (turpenoid or alcohol), and of course an exacto knife!!

There are Tony Barton (?) how to sculpt tutorials that I found very informative:

https://www.brigada1sexto.com.br/forum/viewtopic.php?t=442&sid=255788219d32e5181b669bbfd7e917b8

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/fo...discussion/58237-modelling-painting-head.html

great tips and info!
Thank you.

I'll pick up the ROTPOTA movie on Tuesday also. I will be able to watch it again without a guy talking on his cell phone behind me.

A dedicated oven is a good idea. My fresh baked cookies smell like baking sculpy.

Jess, you've condensed the Sculpey"how-to" very efficiently;the only thing I would add is that you have to be careful not to over-bake the Sculpey. I will also emphasize that it's almost a given that you need to build up your piece slowly;more than 1/4 " thickness and your piece will not cure well(not in a reasonable amount of time, anyway).Would I be correct in assuming that your eventual 3 wise men will be orangs?And perhaps gorillas as the shepherds(always supporting characters...)...PS

Yes, my nativity scene will include the tribunal orangutans as the three wise men. I already have an idea of how I want them depicted...but first have to figure out Cornelius and his garb. It would be awesome to sculpt camels in 1:6 scale eventually...but maybe I would stick with horses since it is the Planet of the Apes? I don't know...sky's the limit with my personal project and it is something that I can add to every year. I want to indulge my fantasies.

Whoo! chug chug chugging along! Maybe I can paint up Cornelius..er Joseph and baby Caesar soon!! I sewed his outfit from a pair of really worn corduroy pants that could have been salvaged if I made them into shorts, but my eldest refuses to wear shorts to school.

DSC07932.jpg
DSC07934.jpg

Once I paint them up nicely I can really set them in place in front of the fireplace beside the Christmas tree....now I will have a reason to use "Stiffen Stuff" fabric stiffener! LOL!!

Last edited:
Wow!!!
Can't wait to pick Rise up on Tuesday!

I started sculpting now too long ago too. Ive made 4 sculpts so far. Heres a pic of my 1st 3 sculpts -
CROPSYCOMPARISONPIC.png

My 1st 2 scuplts are crap but I think Im at a decent level right now.
The funny thing is that I was actually quite happy with my 1st sculpt until I made my 2nd sculpt. Then when I made my 3rd sculpt, I was no longer happy with my 2nd sculpt lol
I hope to keep improving each time.
A lot of patience is needed but its a fun thing to do. I look forward to see some pics

Back