Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hasbro gorillas are decent enough background characters. I prefer to switch them off to better bodies. Its a bit time consuming (the uniforms are sewn on so patience in removal!) but I think they wind up looking better and are definitely more poseable.
I'm not sure a Zaius head or a gorilla soldier head will work for a female, but I look forward to seeing the outcome.

Today is one of those rare days that I am in the mood to paint. I want to paint up my Cornelius sculpt...I was going to just make a cast and paint it, but I can't find my mold. Ironman, consider yourself lucky you have that cast--I may have accidentally dumped the mold...not sure, so I'm kinda frustrated now and don't want to think about it.

I will probably forage for breakfast, and then instead of painting I'm going to work on a sculpt.

God I'm so glad Sideshow did the apes. At least I have my favorite couple. That's all I really need. To me they are the ultimate ape figures. Yeah...Hot Toys did their gorillas and sure, General Ursus is most awesome, but his helmet is finicky to pose...but there's something special about the SS chimps...even my gorilla marauder....and my Dr. Zaius that Angel gave cosmetic dental surgery to...

Yes, they are best as background figures, but I figure the female Orangutans and Gorillas are background figures anyway. I certainly will take photos once I get the work done.

I am not sure I will swap any bodies, but maybe. I don't have any extra female bodies and I am not sure it would be cost effective to buy them.

Are you using Hasbro or Sideshow for your females? I don't see the Hasbros standing a chance of looking female. The SS versions may but I think would need a little repaint and maybe some slight alteration.
When I spoke of body swapping I meant to use a GI Joe body (they're all over ebay and such & pretty inexpensive) They make versions with "gloved" poseable fingers which work better for holding rifles. Another two alternatives are the GO ARMY figures from Eversparkle. They were sold at places like BJ's and Odd Lots. The figures are basicly Dragon/GI Joe hybrids but the neck stud is a little taller which lends itself well to the Hasbro sculpts. Twisting Toys also make their figures with taller neck studs and more muscular arms, great for making that war mongering gorilla look like he actually has the strength to take on any human or mutant.

Guys...sorry this is Barbie...but should I buy this? I'm so damned tempted!! I'm going to ape-i-fy them, of course!! I wanted something for Zira and Cornelius so they can have friends over for dinner...

My plan was to use the Hasbro Zira as the basis for the Orangutan and Gorilla females. Re-dye the clothing to black or orange and then swap heads with the Hasbro Zira. I don't think there would be that much head difference between a female and male gorilla or orangutan. It will probably be a week or so before I have the first one done, then I will see.

Guys...sorry this is Barbie...but should I buy this? I'm so damned tempted!! I'm going to ape-i-fy them, of course!! I wanted something for Zira and Cornelius so they can have friends over for dinner...

You go ahead and buy it Jess. I'm sure all the 1/6 gang will look cool sitting together for dinner.

Wow...I wonder how the ape screening went in LA. Tonight was the night they showed Planet of the Apes (the original) and Escape with a small talk inbetween by Creber.

I have NEVER seen Escape on the big screen. God how I would love to see that on the big screen. I hope that by the time I am able to see it on the big screen, that I have finished my own 1;1 scale outfit of Escape complete with swing jacket.

So jealous of the people in the LA area who were able to see this. Such a rare event...

Also...on the non-ape front, I ordered a pair of bendy hands for an incomplete figure of mine. Didn't now if it would fit or not, but they popped in so perfectly!! Well, no matter what I was going to make them work. Anyhoo, big personal project on the horizon--I'm going to customize Zatoichi. Already got his sword in hand, too.

It's great to see new faces in here. Welcome All!

I've been busy working on my American Civil War figures.

KFog- I finally bashed the One Eyed Guy you swapped me. I'll post pics if you want. Just let me know.

Jessica, I saw that you received my book and mini-accessories. Sorry to hear that they didn't work out for you. If you want you could keep them for your personal collection. Just let me know when the book is making it's way back north so I can plan to greet it at the door.

Did anyone else get the book, beside Jess and me?

Sticks, I have not had a chance to go to the post office, and probably won't until Monday...so you should see your magazine by Tuesday/Wednesday. Can you please PM me your address? The return address label on your envelope says OD Toys...or something like that. And thank you for the mini-accessories. I'm going to keep them bagged up and preserved and put it with my 1:6 scale stuff.

I'm going to try to organize my customs in separate boxes as I make them, rather than having them scattered in various boxes. I think it will be easier to keep all of Link stuff together in one box. I was just so glad I found the tiny vambrace I made for him many months ago...With me having so many ongoing projects, I need to keep them all separate yet accessible and ready for when the mood strikes.

My wife and I celebrated our third anniversary by spending two days in Hollywood. We stayed at the historic Roosevelt Hotel. We were able to walk to the historic Egyptian Theater where we saw Planet of the Apes and Escape From the Planet of the Apes. POTA was a very good print with very good sound. Escape was perfect. I have heard it was a projected version of the Blu-Ray DVD. It certainly was wonderful.

About 100 people or so were there. They had a Q&A session in between the two shows. A number of people did not stay for the second movie, it was a long time to sit in those rather narrow seats.

We had a great time. The next day we visited the Hollywood Museum and saw some POTA costumes, behind glass, and no photos allowed. Today we stopped at a bookstore and I got "Planet of the Apes Revisited" by Joe Russo and Larry Landsmand with Edward Gross.

Now I am home, sorting my emails and reporting on the movie.

I would have tried guerilla-photography in at Hollywood Museum.

Congrats on 3 years. What a beautiful way to spend it.

I would love to see Escape on the big screen. 100 people is 75 more than I expected. Wow I'm jealous...I really want to see it on the big screen. Maybe someday they'll play it in my area.

Both movies were awesome on the big screen.

Thanks for the congrats!

The apes were behind glass, and while I figured I could have taken a couple pics, I did not think they would be worthwhile. When you posted pictures of your Zira in 20th Century clothing, I showed them to my wife. When we watched the movie, she was amazed at how close her clothing looked to what you made. Very impressive, my wife sews and she knows clothing.

So what do you do with your Apes collection?

Does it sit in a box in the closet?

Is it displayed in a glass cabinet in the living room?

Do you play with it in the yard?

Do you show your collection to friends when they come over?

Do you invite them to play with your Apes too?

Some of my SS apes are still boxed up, since they are way high in the closet and I can't reach them. I have about 2 of each laying around in boxes, mostly half clothed, some are headless, because I use them for sizing. When the mood strikes me, I take a couple out of the boxes (usually the upgraded SS Zira and a Cornelius) and photograph them on my front porch or in the garden. I really enjoy making stuff for them, and that's where my joy is. Nobody but me ever touches my apes, and I don't share them with anyone. Nobody else cares for them.

My HT Ursus is in a plastic ziploc with the other HT gorilla and they are in a box. I haven't really played with them.

I usually pose Zira and Cornelius together, and they peek out my bedroom window and look at my garden.

Didn't somebody here make a Lawgiver Desk Bust in 1/6th scale? I am hoping I can find out so I could buy one.

What is the best way to easily remove a Hasbro Ape head?
What is the best technique to easily replace a Hasbro Ape head?

Thanks!

Back