Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe next time, IM. Are there any conventions near your town? And when are they? Perhaps if I know well in advance I could make a trip out there just to have fun and go ape.

Maybe next time, IM. Are there any conventions near your town? And when are they? Perhaps if I know well in advance I could make a trip out there just to have fun and go ape.

The closest thing to something like that would be the New York ComiCon. If I could get a gorilla put together for next year's I would SO be there!!!

ironman dressed up as gorilla! very very cool. I look forward to seeing that.:rock2

jessica your pictures are spectacular!

Thanks, Shomp.

Here are the upcoming convention dates that I know of, in case anybody wants to go ape:

In the UK: Spring Memorabilia Show, 28-29 March 2009
https://www.memorabilia.co.uk/

The San Francisco Bay Area Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention--this is in my area, so I AM SO THERE!!
May 22-25, 2009
The Hyatt Regency, Santa Clara, CA

May 29-31, 2009: Burbank (Monsterpalooza)

JUNE 5, 6 & 7 2009, SuperCon, THE DOUBLETREE MIAMI MART, AIRPORT CONVENTION CENTER

July 23-26, 2009: San Diego Comic Con--this is the one PZ goes to on his annual migration.

Dragon*Con 2009 will be held Labor Day weekend (September 4 - September 7, 2009) in Atlanta, GA.

If anybody has any other dates they would like to add, we should keep them all in one place and perhaps someday every single one of us will be able to meet face to face.

Here's a link listing a TON of comic conventions...check it out...I don't know how large some of these are...I've not heard of most...but it's cool to see a long list of upcoming events.
https://www.comicbookconventions.com/conventions.htm

Last edited:
That would totally rock Jessica! Does anyone know if they ever have these Comic Cons on the east coast in other locations (other than New York City)? The idea of dressing up as a ape sounds like a very cool thing to do at least once in my lifetime! I'm really liking this idea. :angelsmil

I'm putting a rough calendar of all the future dates I know. We all need to go ape out and together would be more fun than being the only ape in town!! If we plan way ahead in advance, we can choose the most central location and we'll all fly in. We deserve to get a real group hug!!

He does look General Aldo-like. He looks wonderful. Love his expression.

I never had anything ape-related as a kid except for that one pathetic jigsaw puzzle and coloring book. I'm just playing catch up now. That's why I'm so ape crazy.

I wonder what's happened to Sticks and Snickertown???

Sticks, I was not able to sleep well last night. I woke up at 2 or 3 and tossed and turned. I wondered how you were doing as far as catching your zzz's. I feel so beat up this morning. I just want to curl up under my desk and go to sleep.

this thread isn't what it used be. i notice lots of people just missing from this thread. it used to be lots of fun to read. no one seems to participate in conversation here any longer. there aren't that many photos posted either. what's going on here? where did all the regulars go?

this thread isn't what it used be. i notice lots of people just missing from this thread. it used to be lots of fun to read. no one seems to participate in conversation here any longer. there aren't that many photos posted either. what's going on here? where did all the regulars go?

You're right. Show us what you've been working on! :lol

Aw shucks. I thought I got the perfect net/lace for hairing up, but I just did a compare with the lace beards and whatever I got for sixty-five cents is too large as far as the mesh. I'm going to have to go back to the fabric store and get a finer lace. I have a dental appt. today, so that's where I'm headed after that!

And later today, I'm going to start painting a Bruce Lee head (mego scale) while there's still daylight.

I found this photo today. Yikes! I thought I had greased the underside of my chin a lot. Keep in mind that this is nearing 11PM...I didn't realize that the bit to my neck wrap (the yarn) was poking out of my costume. I am just one lucky monkey. I never made it to try to get professional photographs taken, so this is good enough for me. I was able to order from the website.

3333873340_a715ab7de3.jpg

Last edited:
Since the Zaius fat suit worked out so well, I decided that my SST Ursus could use more work, even though I have the HT figure pre-ordered. I'd already lengthened his cuirass(thanks again, Angel) so it was time to do something about his head.The SST helmet has always been a bit off to my eye; after considering a total resculpt and latex cast, I found a hasbro Ursus helmet on Ebay.The price was low enough that I didn't feel like it would be a great loss if it was NG; I got a pleasant surprise...<br />
PICT0004-1.jpg
<br />
Lengthening the armor, which was 1 row short, front and back. A second set allowed me to do a little "cut and paste" modification...<br />
PICT0018.jpg
<br />
The corrected armor,with the original helmet and a lengthened havelock. Dome too small,havelock sucks. In the process of replacing the original, I left the helmet removeable(I also left the head removeable, which makes working on him much easier)...<br />
PICT0010-4.jpg
<br />
Ursus' head,with the crown built up to a more correct shape with Magic-Sculpt...<br />
PICT0011-3.jpg
PICT0012-3.jpg
<br />
Test fitting the new helmet.The Hasbro helmet is a pleasant surprise;well sculpted and cast, it is by far the best part of the Hasbro figure(not that it takes much to do that).Color match is pretty good,too...<br />
PICT0041.jpg
<br />
Painted;I considered making him a silverback, but this was an aspect of gorilla society that got lost in the films. Still might do it anyway...<br />
PICT0043-1.jpg
PICT0044-1.jpg
PICT0045.jpg
<br />
In all his glory;ironic that Hasbro should provide the solution to the helmet problem, though my custom Vader also uses a Hasbro dome,so...<br />
PICT0049.jpg

The bully boys of Ape City,3 of which have been reworked(Zaius-fat suit and retailoring;Cassius-partial face resculpt;Ursus-the works;Brutus-stock).
Some might question putting all this work into figures that have an uncertain future, but it's fun, and after all, that's what this hobby is all about...PS<br />
>

I love the rework of Cassius! I have never seen him before. And the General Ursus looks waaaaaaay better with his hair sculpted up like that. Hmmm....I will have to use the Hasbro helmet that Ironman gave me for this (if i can't fit it on my General Ursus sculpt that is still in progress)!

If you ever have to give up the figures and I have some cash in my piggy bank, please call on me. I promise I will take good care of them.

Kfog, thanks for the follow-up regarding the dogtags. I got a pair from Duane (Enaud), who hasn't been on since forever...so I'm good. I hope you find other buyers. These are hard to come by.

Great job WM!! I said waaaaay back that the Hasbro helmet was a better fit. Great to see folks changing over and making the best of the Sideshow Ursus.

PICT0049.jpg

The Bully boys of Ape City!

Some might question putting all this work into figures that have an uncertain future, but it's fun, and after all, that's what this hobby is all about...PS<br />
>

Bully boys, indeed. GREAT work, WM! I too have a Hasbro helmet on one of my Ursuses ( I also have Angel's helmet on another). It still amazes me when Hasbro gets something... anything right.

And, by the way, time spent on the SS Apes is time well spent. Keep up the great work.

Back