Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
overspray is rarely done correctly, after the ultron overspray fiasco i have very little faith any will be done to achieve the desired effect instead of making it much worse.

i dont know why sideshow bothers with overspray...especially after ultron.

Because they get better as time passes? Learn from their mistakes maybe? :dunno

We'll see when he releases but for now I love it.

Light up would be better then the orange spray. I think SSC should scrap all these gimmick paint apps to mimic lighting effects. I hated the Ultron PF and the current Galactus.

I'm not universally opposed to the idea of using a paint effect to mimic a lighting effect ... I just worry that the factory won't be able to do a decent job getting something that subtle right.

Yes, it looks great here, but that's the proto. Which was no doubt painted by a master. I'm just nervous about the production version. Seems like a pretty easy thing to screw up.

There's a fine line between looking like you're standing victoriously astride a lava flow ... and looking like you've just been wading through a waist-deep vat of Cheetos dust.

Last edited:
I thought the paint effect was very well done. The overall execution of this Sauron is incredible. It's MASSIVE. He is up there with the LSF's.

I want one.

Man, I want to like this and I keep looking at the pics. Maybe it does look better in person and my opinion will change. One thing that won't change is my dislike of painted light effects. I'm not a fan of light-up gimmicks on high-end statues but I would prefer it in this case.

I think I'm in agreement here. I actually quite like the red/orange glow from the ground, but would much prefer that it be from a light-up feature (and therefore able to be used intermittently) rather than light reflected constantly from a painted surface that looks like the remnants of a discarded bag of Cheetos that someone managed to eat a portion of during a lull in the battle. The same effect could be achieved by a much smaller light-up feature that wouldn't require such a massive area of questionable paint color.

Definitely on the fence.

Hmm..when you compare this Sauron with what weta has done with their hobbit statues, it is like night and day.

The pose for this is just plain awkward the more I look at it.

Just look at any of the weta hobbit statues. That's how statue poses are done with flair. The pose for this just looks awkward in the art print and equally as akward in the prototype PF.

The only reason I'm even sticking around in this thread is cuz it's freaking Sauron and I'm really trying to psych myself into liking this statue cuz everything else looks ok to me...lava...proportions etc. but the pose is such a major turn off and it'll be a shame cuz who knows when we will get another Sauron.

Damn it.

Yes, it looks great here, but that's the proto. Which was no doubt painted by a master. I'm just nervous about the production version. Seems like a pretty easy thing to screw up.

:exactly: SS's production can't get eye's right... who are they kidding with a blending of colors. :mad:

the head looks bigger than body, have a disproportion...

https://b1207.hizliresim.com/z/d/9n2dr.jpg
To say it nicely, I will only say that this looks Nothing like the artwork it is supposed to be based on. I'd be highly disappointed if I had ever wanted to get one of these.
174956838.jpg

Still I like WETA the most.
This one looks like he's trying to pick up Isildur for the night showing his sexy leg :D
I don't like this light effect painted so brutally and that the chain armor is made so lazy, they should make some real rings connected there (it's just a little spot! why molding it?)

Nuff said.

It appears to be getting a bit of a hammering here. I love it. Hopefully SS will release a low ES and keep the price reasonable.

Personally I think it looks incredible. :rock Very impressive, and I have no problems with the pose.

I'm not 100% convinced on the orange 'glow' paint yet, but we'll see...

I actually really dig this statue. I even really like the pose. And my fears could be totally unfounded and the orange paint might actually end up looking fantastic in person.

But I just get nervous when the pricetag gets up near four decimal places. For that kind of money I just really want to be 100% sure I absolutely love it.

I know if this was a third the size and a third the price (whatever that ends up being), I would be a lot less critical.

I still want to love it, though. And I'm almost there. It's all gonna depend on the final price ...

I still prefer the original weta piece. This just doesn't seem right. The pose looks awkward and the heinous yellow color at the base is very annoying. Besides the size, nothing about this impresses me. Nice work sideshow! Way to ____ up another LOTR piece!:clap

Go to 3:20 Actually looking a lot better here. Hope they keep it at the $799 price point....:pray:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz6ywK6NPpw[/ame]

Not really feeling this piece like I had hoped. Was really looking forward to this and RWOS together but might just have to settle for the Dark Rider going solo.

Back