Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
galactiboy I'm 100% agree with you. Especially in case that this effect looks like glowing orange juice, but not lava at all.
I don't like:
1) his leg posed like this
2) this light effect painted so brutally
3) that the chain armor is made so lazy, they should make some real rings connected there (it's just a little spot! why molding it?)

So it looks strange to me. Cool, but strange. I don't want to break my back off working to get this thing. IMHO, sure.

Anyway, I should say that the paint job with armor looks just fantastic! Like it's the reel steel.

I like it overall... but I don't like painted light effects. The orange on the armor bothers me, its not as much as the new Vader piece. But I'd prefer to create my own lighting for a piece or better yet have some kind of light installed in the piece to give the desire effect :huh

Exactly - well said! That's something I forgot to mention in my post on the previous page. I would have been much happier if Sauron was simply walking across a battlefied with no dramatic lighting. Or at least just have the cracks and fissures orange.
One of the reasons that I like the Morgul Lord the most out of any PFs that I've owned (and I did own the Lurtx Ex) is the fact that it looks as real as what you saw on screen due to the fact that he is made up of armor and robes and has no face, eyes or hair to give away the illusion. Sauron was the perfect subject for this and with the painted lighting effects it just destroys the realism for me.

Last edited:
I like it overall... but I don't like painted light effects. The orange on the armor bothers me, its not as much as the new Vader piece. But I'd prefer to create my own lighting for a piece or better yet have some kind of light installed in the piece to give the desire effect :huh

See I love the light effect on both those pieces. Looks great in person.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the orange paint effect either. I would have much prefered an actual light-up feature in the base, but I suppose that kind of feature would have undoubtedly pushed this back into LSF territory. So, for me anyway, I guess it's an acceptable compromise.

At least the effect is a bit more subltle than the Vader Mythos statue. A bit of orange overkill on that one for my tastes.

Last edited:
I'm fifty fifty on this right now. I really wish they wouldn't have gone all out on making it look like he was next to lava.

Is a plain Sauron to much to ask for? :lol

See I love the light effect on both those pieces. Looks great in person.

Man, I want to like this and I keep looking at the pics. Maybe it does look better in person and my opinion will change. One thing that won't change is my dislike of painted light effects. I'm not a fan of light-up gimmicks on high-end statues but I would prefer it in this case.

I personally love the orange glowing effect. I never use any light up features on any of my statues. With this being a painted effect, looks great and I don't have to worry about flicking a switch

I don't mind the orange. The chain mail could have been done better though. This isn't a must own for me until I see price.

The head / helmet looks disproportional to the body - imo. It might not be "movie-right" but in the weta piece the helmet don't cover the entire neck and dont go all the way down to the chest / upper body. Looks weird / off ...... imo.

If this is the final result, the weta piece is still the one to have.

But the base is cool.

OMG just caught up with this thread. I've missed a lot :lol

Judging by the pics I'm really dissapointed with this :(
The armor looks like plastic and is way too clean. I can see the detail but it needs more definition in the shading and sheen.
The head is huge! WTF!?
This just looks really wrong IMO.
I don't mean to seem whiny and put this PF down (I know many have waited for this for ages and love the result) but I honestly think its quite poor. Just my opinion.
Another thing: in the vandersteldt print it seems like he's stepping down from the height of the skull his foot is on and walking forward. In the sculpt, it seems like he's leaning back and resting on it. Just seems less imposing.

I actually love the orange paint effect on the Mythos Vader.

overspray is rarely done correctly, after the ultron overspray fiasco i have very little faith any will be done to achieve the desired effect instead of making it much worse.

i dont know why sideshow bothers with overspray...especially after ultron.

Back