Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's so terrible about it? The rework totally saved the paintjob.

That is debatable. The base looks purple to me. Thing is the factory paint job is just fine but people have choosen to repaint it. That's fantastic and as long as they're happy with it that's all that matters. What I laugh at I'm sorry is statements that repainting saved it. That is not a fact but an opinion. Something lost of some members. :lecture

That is debatable. The base looks purple to me. Thing is the factory paint job is just fine but people have choosen to repaint it. That's fantastic and as long as they're happy with it that's all that matters. What I laugh at I'm sorry is statements that repainting saved it. That is not a fact but an opinion. Something lost of some members. :lecture
I was assuming that I don't need to write a THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION disclaimer under every posting because it should be the premise on a forum.
Anyway burning coal can look purple-ish. It adds atmosphere without touching the actual figure.
burning-coal-819752-m.jpg
Especially the custom paint legs look fantastic and the overall armor doesn't look that much like cheap plastic anymore.

Paint work is terrible and sloppy looking.
I like my Dark Lords terrible and sloppy.

The factory paint job, on this $900 statue, is certainly not "fine".

There are regular $300-$400 PF's with better paint apps. Hell some of the armored Hot Toys figures I've owned in the past have more depth.

It's "fine" if you like the paint job, but the fact of the matter is that it isn't as good as it should be for the price. And it shouldn't be that hard to get right, should it? It's just armor. There's no skin tone, spots, patterning, etc.

I'm happy with the paint job, though I can admit it isn't great. Earlier in this thread someone had another member do a repaint for them, and he posted the Youtube video of it (can't remember the names) - I'd like to use that video as a guide and try repainting it myself in the future, despite my complete lack of painting skill.

I was assuming that I don't need to write a THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION disclaimer under every posting because it should be the premise on a forum.
Anyway burning coal can look purple-ish. It adds atmosphere without touching the actual figure.
View attachment 146726
Especially the custom paint legs look fantastic and the overall armor doesn't look like cheap plastic anymore.

Of course you don't have to put that and I didn't say you did. :dunno The purple looks terrible, IMO. I don't care if in real life those colors can possibly happen they're not like that in anything we've seen in the films nor Jerrys painting. So for me it looks awful but it's not mine so I really don't give a squat.

Last edited:
The factory paint job, on this $900 statue, is certainly not "fine".

There are regular $300-$400 PF's with better paint apps. Hell some of the armored Hot Toys figures I've owned in the past have more depth.

It's "fine" if you like the paint job, but the fact of the matter is that it isn't as good as it should be for the price. And it shouldn't be that hard to get right, should it? It's just armor. There's no skin tone, spots, patterning, etc.

I'm happy with the paint job, though I can admit it isn't great. Earlier in this thread someone had another member do a repaint for them, and he posted the Youtube video of it (can't remember the names) - I'd like to use that video as a guide and try repainting it myself in the future, despite my complete lack of painting skill.

You're more than welcomed to to feel it's not fine. I stand by my post. You're right it is fine if I like this solid paint job but thanks for letting me know.

Welcome back Laj ;)

I don't like the metallic paint jobs either. I know the "dull" paint makes some people think it looks cheap, but it looks more real to me than the shiny repaints.

I think I've seen one repaint that was just amazing and better than the original to me. I think RobertBaggs did it (and that's the one with the youtube vid I think?), but mostly I much prefer the original paint job to the repaints I've seen. I don my think the original paint is "just fine" I think it's great and works for the statue. I suppose it could have some accents here and there, but it certainly doesn't need a top to bottom repaint to me.

I think I've seen one repaint that was just amazing and better than the original to me. I think RobertBaggs did it (and that's the one with the youtube vid I think?), but mostly I much prefer the original paint job to the repaints I've seen. I don my think the original paint is "just fine" I think it's great and works for the statue. I suppose it could have some accents here and there, but it certainly doesn't need a top to bottom repaint to me.
This is the video I'm talking about. It's a repaint by rrjrstatueman.

I can't remember many of the other repaints in this thread, but I think Adolfo's was one I really liked as well.

I don't like the metallic paint jobs either. I know the "dull" paint makes some people think it looks cheap, but it looks more real to me than the shiny repaints.

That's my issue with most of the repaints is they just look funky. We've see some good repaints but I agree that the original looks more real. To each their own as they say.

The statue and base has zero purple to it. It's a black color. It looks really good in real life. And I only paid $200 for The statue. So I will take that over a $900 new one

I'm perfectly happy with my paint job, but I can understand some who were unhappy with it and wanted it changed. Some just couldn't put their minds around the lava glow effect, but I truly loved it on mine. Yes, a few spots could've had some added detailing, but overall mine was amazing. I also liked some of the repaints done here in this thread. Some were really nice.

Jerry V himself had teased us with a head repaint that looked INSANE. Now that's a repaint I want to see.

If I ever did anything to mine, it would just be a little of that charcoal stuff. The only repaint I thought looked great was Raf's job. I saw another chrome like one for sale, the guy couldn't even break even on it.

Earlier in this thread someone had another member do a repaint for them, and he posted the Youtube video of it (can't remember the names) - I'd like to use that video as a guide and try repainting it myself in the future, despite my complete lack of painting skill.

Was it Raf?

Edit: Never mind, I see you found the video in question. The guy is a paint genius.

Metallic doesn't have to be overly shiny. You can paint something like this with a proper metallic paint and then mucky it up as much as you like. It will look a million times better than a dull grey paint as some of the metal look will show through under all of the grime. It is hard to explain without seeing it and is always hard to photograph.

the statue was $500 bucks but when i got it, it came with a broken leg, so the guy filed a claim and i got $300 back, so Yes I did get it for $200 shipped

I've enjoyed looking through this thread at the pictures of this marvelous PF. I have a chance to get one from a seller who I've dealt with before. I already have Smaug the Terrible on pre-order and am buying a Morgul Lord PF EX. from the same seller with Sauron, so that is already a lot spent on statues. Decisions decisions..........

I've enjoyed looking through this thread at the pictures of this marvelous PF. I have a chance to get one from a seller who I've dealt with before. I already have Smaug the Terrible on pre-order and am buying a Morgul Lord PF EX. from the same seller with Sauron, so that is already a lot spent on statues. Decisions decisions..........
How much did chaber ask for Sauron and Morgul thingy? XD

jk and congrats!

Back