Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you really dont know what youre doin then I gotta hand it to ya..."You got guts kid" I respect that for trying it on this behemoth. I wanna see that video

No video from me.. i don't want to have video documentation of me screwing up this beast. Cause lord knows it could turn out terrible. :lol

Your doing great my friend ,

The gloss black is very important or a gloss white for the mirror chrome to work , that is the only way you will get the real chrome mirror / metal look , other wise it would just look like your ordinary silver painted statues that want to simulate metal or chrome but really just look like painted silver . It is an important step to achive the look , , even if you are going back to darken him with the weathering , you would still see the silver painted look as oppose to seeing a real metal look .
As for the black showing through ? Not really , once it was chromed up the dark you see is all black/brown rusted paint used to weather

Chrome is on, now all that's left is the weathering and the base work. A solid paint job really does put this statue on another level of awesome. I was feeling bad about not replacing the chainmail, but now that it's painted, I think it's going to look good as is.

regenenu.jpg

Try buffing the chrome before you weather it. So far so good. I'm excited to see the next step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

I have NO idea what i'm doing. So i'm just following the steps Rafael did in the video. The gloss black is a backer that has to happen so that the mirror chrome works as it should. Trust me, if i could skip a step i would have… :lol

You seem to be doing an awesome job bro.

Chrome is on, now all that's left is the weathering and the base work. A solid paint job really does put this statue on another level of awesome. I was feeling bad about not replacing the chainmail, but now that it's painted, I think it's going to look good as is.

regenenu.jpg
well done excellent job......your alot braver than me

Thanks guys. The weathering is definitely the hardest part in my eyes cause I keep thinking that I need to make it look uniform. But then I realized that it's not supposed to be uniform at all, just the opposite actually. I'll post a pic when it's done, but so far so good. Not sure if I'm going to use the rust color or just stay with the black.

Thanks guys. The weathering is definitely the hardest part in my eyes cause I keep thinking that I need to make it look uniform. But then I realized that it's not supposed to be uniform at all, just the opposite actually. I'll post a pic when it's done, but so far so good. Not sure if I'm going to use the rust color or just stay with the black.

Very cool.
Looking forward to the final product.

Here's a work in progress pic.

gy8uje8a.jpg

And here it is done with exception to the base. Honestly, in person I can really see the difference in before and after. But I can tell looking at these pics that it really doesn't come across as much of a change. Anyways, this is what I accomplished.

8u4asu8a.jpg

vyzydavy.jpg

ytaqepes.jpg

Here is a before pic

e2esenem.jpg

Last edited:
Wow thats great work mate congrats, I was wanting to try this after watching the instructional vid but my base has orange all over and looks way past my skill level (which is 0)to repaint it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sweet...repaint looks great.

Its also depressing because I got mine in on friday with broken chainmail and a chip on his shoulder spikes. Worst of all I just dont like the paint job. The base is cool and I don't mind the orange overspray its just his armor is plain and dull. Looks plasticy, especially his head. Doesnt strike the fear of mordor into me but rather looks like a realization of an old vintage photograph. I will call ss Monday and say what they about the broken parts but at this point I will need him repainted or will send him back for refund

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Its also depressing because I got mine in on friday with broken chainmail and a chip on his shoulder spikes. Worst of all I just dont like the paint job. The base is cool and I don't mind the orange overspray its just his armor is plain and dull. Looks plasticy, especially his head. Doesnt strike the fear of mordor into me but rather looks like a realization of an old vintage photograph. I will call ss Monday and say what they about the broken parts but at this point I will need him repainted or will send him back for refund

Sorry to hear about the damage, and I agree about the armor. It looks good other than the stock paint on the top of the helm. A slight bit of weathering on it and could probably get away without a repaint.

Thats the only reason for the repaint as far as i'm concerned. I wanted to look at it and see a 1/4 scale Sauron standing in front of me. And Sauron doesn't wear gray plastic armor :) It didn't change it that much, but enough to make me think that its real armor

Back