Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps. I'm even thinking maybe it was a PF and only $900 because of JV's painting. I have no clue how they get permission to use the character but SS had to get it somewhere and maybe got to do it cheaper because of the JV artwork? I would love a step by step process from license to product in regards to this piece and of course why it was done this way and not the other, etc

I'd assume Sauron is just part of the standard LOTR license and they probably worked with Jerry to get permission to do it based off his art work.

You know what would be freakin cool if I could switch the head for a Sauron the fair with no helm I bet he would look cool with the long black hair flowing

I don't know why that made me think of this... :wacky

tumblr_llflkq1EGf1qknetvo1_500.jpg

My replacement body, head & mace are coming in two days!! Hope for perfect one. It's strange that the tracking page shows the same weight as the original one (with the base!)

The armor is awesome as is the design of the character. He's just such an evil looking character. There is a lot of life in that armor design.

He is basically a LSF as far as I'm concerned. When you have a statue that is 3ft tall and basically scaled with the other LSF I don't know how you can look at it a different way. We got lucky that SS labeled it a PF and only charged what they did. He's every bit as impressive and more so IMO than any of the LSF they've made so far. The RWOS is equally as good as any of the LSF IMO as well.

Yeah, I do know Saruon is huge compared to average people in middle-earth. That's probably why it's under the PF label. If they made him a LSF, they probably would have had to make him 6 feet tall.

There was a lot of back and forth about this very issue back when SS first announced this piece. (Check out the early pages of this thread. It was enough to drive you crazy.:gah:) First he started out as an LSF, then he was switched to a PF, then to an LSF again, then back to a PF ... and on and on. They finally settled on PF, and I think that was the right choice.

I'm not saying he isn't every inch as impressive as the other pieces in the LSF line. On the contrary, he absolutely is. (In fact, in my Tolkien/Jackson-centric opinion, he's more impressive.)

At $2K, they might have made more money per statue, but they probably wouldn't have sold nearly as many statues. In the end, I'm betting it just made better financial sense for him to be a PF.

But don't get me started on the LSF thing. It's almost impossible to justify the $2K pricetag to begin with. In my opinion, they should be at Sauron's pricepoint, not the other way around.

Yeah, I would love the Darth Maul LSF. It's beautiful, but I cannot spend 2000 on one item. Not unless I sell a bunch of stuff to fund it.

Yeah, I'll have to check out the early pages. Is he scaled correctly though? In regards to other PF statues. I remember someone showed a picture of him next to Gandalf the Grey PF and he looked massive. Not just taller, but almost like he was scaled differently. I know Sauron is huge, but I didn't know he was that huge. I'd always assumed he was taller and a little bigger, but not the size he's at in PF. He almost looked as big as a Balrog.

While the Armor is awesome. It did borrow from Morgoth's design didn't it? A Morgoth statue would be cool, but people might confuse him with Saruon now.

Guess everyone to his own taste. Many collectors here seem to prefer a repainted Sauron with the orange glow mostly, if not totally, removed. For me, these painted light reflections are a key element of what makes this piece work dramatically, giving it a sense of life and in-the-moment reality. Take the glow away, and this "living" figure comes off more like a monochromatic studio prop with indifferent lighting. Maybe I'm just not into second guessing an artist's conception (Hmm, that Mona Lisa babe could use a better smile... let's do some re-working and get it to taste!). Some fans even add physical elements to their statues and busts, altering the shape of noses, jawlines, etc. Anything can be customized, of course, and that's totally up to the owner. But IMO, the specific lighting and color scheme conceived for a statue like this one should not be tampered with, just as the the lighting, color choices and brush strokes of the original JV painting/print should be left alone.

If Sauron himself is not damaged, think of it as a "remarqued" version, since only yours will have broken bones the way that they are. In the art, I imagined that Sauron's very presence was the cause of nothing but the skeletal remains to survive. Of course, he was glad to tread over his fallen victims, crushing their bones in his wake. I'm planning to custom paint mine anyway, so perhaps I'll rearrange some bones while I'm at it. My two cents : )

JV

Just saying. :wave

Yeah, I do know Saruon is huge compared to average people in middle-earth. That's probably why it's under the PF label. If they made him a LSF, they probably would have had to make him 6 feet tall.

That would make for a massive piece. :lol :rock

Yeah, I would love the Darth Maul LSF. It's beautiful, but I cannot spend 2000 on one item. Not unless I sell a bunch of stuff to fund it.

Yeah, I'll have to check out the early pages. Is he scaled correctly though? In regards to other PF statues. I remember someone showed a picture of him next to Gandalf the Grey PF and he looked massive. Not just taller, but almost like he was scaled differently. I know Sauron is huge, but I didn't know he was that huge. I'd always assumed he was taller and a little bigger, but not the size he's at in PF. He almost looked as big as a Balrog.

While the Armor is awesome. It did borrow from Morgoth's design didn't it? A Morgoth statue would be cool, but people might confuse him with Saruon now.

He is massive. The SSW 1/4 helm is the exact size as the SS PF helm so he is 1/4 in my book

Morgoth was bigger, taller and more massive that Sauron, his crown specifically was made to hold the 3 silmaril stones. That is Morgoth when I think of him. Sauron even named his battering ram grond after Morgoths mace weapon so he still fondly remembered his old sixth master. LOL

I think the idea behind the LSFs was to make all the statues roughly the same size, rather than in any specific scale. So all of those statues are each roughly three feet tall, regardless of the character. I think the idea was for each piece in that line to have a very specific presence, rather than being strictly accurate to a scale. Which is why Neytiri and the Wolf Predator are about the same size as Iron Man, Darth Maul and Old Ben Kenobi.

Sauron, while the same size as an LSF, would also be in scale with the 1/4 PF line. So, really, he could have belonged to either line. We just got lucky that they picked the less absurdly expensive one!

I think the idea behind the LSFs was to make all the statues roughly the same size, rather than in any specific scale. So all of those statues are each roughly three feet tall, regardless of the character. I think the idea was for each piece in that line to have a very specific presence, rather than being strictly accurate to a scale. Which is why Neytiri and the Wolf Predator are about the same size as Iron Man, Darth Maul and Old Ben Kenobi.

Wolf is 1/4 scale yes compared to the 1/2 scaled pieces

Sauron, while the same size as an LSF, would also be in scale with the 1/4 PF line. So, really, he could have belonged to either line. We just got lucky that they picked the less absurdly expensive one!

Ok, that makes me understand that a little better. I just hope they don't make a character in LSF that I can't NOT own.

Morgoth was bigger, taller and more massive that Sauron, his crown specifically was made to hold the 3 silmaril stones. That is Morgoth when I think of him. Sauron even named his battering ram grond after Morgoths mace weapon so he still fondly remembered his old sixth master. LOL

Yeah, Morgoth from what I understood was the ultimate evil in Middle-earth. I wonder how our hero's would have faired against him.

One thing I thought was interesting, and please correct me if I am wrong on this. I remember reading that Morgoth isn't exactly destroyed. He's just banished to the void(hell), and at some point he will be released back to middle earth and be defeated once and for all.

I'd actually love to see that story. Morgoths return and the fight to destroy him once and for all.

Sauron was content with loyalty and acceptance of him being absolute ruler. Morgoth was never satisfied and was all consuming. Even with loyalty he could change his mind at a drop of a hat if bored. Big difference. Morgoth would chew and swallow and sheet the peoples of the third age. Morgoth was essentially a god

Melkor/Morgoth - Chaotic Evil.
Wanted to physically dominate every leaf, tree and rock in middle earth.

Sauron - Lawful Evil.
Very structured compared to Morgoth. Wanted to rule middle earth in an organized way.

D&D, gotta love it.

Yeah, Morgoth from what I understood was the ultimate evil in Middle-earth. I wonder how our hero's would have faired against him.

One thing I thought was interesting, and please correct me if I am wrong on this. I remember reading that Morgoth isn't exactly destroyed. He's just banished to the void(hell), and at some point he will be released back to middle earth and be defeated once and for all.

I'd actually love to see that story. Morgoths return and the fight to destroy him once and for all.
Morgoth will never return. Fact

Melkor will return...and slain by Turin with the black blade...

Last Battle
The end of Arda

The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.

Notes

Actually, The Silmarillion never specifically states where the Last Battle will take place, though there is one hint. Akallabêth tells us that Ar-Pharazôn and his warriors are imprisoned in the Caves of the Forgotten 'until the Last Battle and the Day of Doom.' The fact that the Caves are located in Aman strongly suggests that the battle would have to take place there. This is apparently confirmed by several references in The History of Middle-earth that place the Last Battle in Valinor itself.
See also...

It would have to be fought among the valar. It would never happen in ME. Manwe would IMHO be on Melkor the moment he stepped out of his cell you could say. I'll never believe it could happen like the old days! Now could the fight between the gods destroy the world so to speak. Hey if Zeus and his bro could go at it destroying all then I guess it could happen to ME too. I like to think of Morgoth as a prisoner in an inescapable prison

When painting this I actually got to look at every square inch of this piece. The whole Sauron body was basically airbrushed and it was assembled in layers. There is orange glow even underneath sections of the armour where technically should not have any lava reflection they glued, airbrushed,glued another layer, then airbrushed etc. some pieces they air brushed orange before glued too. That's why I think if it was LSF it would be painted differently. I'm so glad though it was $900 vs 2k

I think this has very good potential of reaching close to the 2k mark. Easily the best lotr pf out there imo. Only thing that might be it is if a Balrog was made at the same size.

Back