Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the longest time I wanted the Weta version. This one looks more epic IMO.

That's a superb version. I do still wish I had mine and I'd still be getting this. If you don't have the SSW one then this is a fantastic choice. You're not losing either way.

Such a strong statement...I like your conviction

Thanks :duff It was the coolest piece they had at comic-con last year. As long as this comes through production like I expect we're in for a treat.

Last years comic-con was awesome for fans of The Lord of the Rings at the Sideshow booth with Sauron, Ringwraith, and Frodo/Sam.

Adolfo, Sauron helm is great and nice huge UC item but the best one from the UC helm collection is High Elven helm for me... :) quite hard to get nowadays and too expensive as well

Right underneath PF Sauron,DROM and some other piece will go
IMG_4920_zps3da830dd.jpg

Thanks :duff It was the coolest piece they had at comic-con last year. As long as this comes through production like I expect we're in for a treat.

I've only been collecting SS for a few years and while the sculpt work is almost always amazing the factory paint jobs at times leave a lot to be desired(especially for high-end,edition-sized collectibles and for the money we pay for them).

I just REALLY wish they wouldn't tease you with outstanding prototypes that have beautiful paint jobs when they know the production models won't get the same care/time/attention.

Unfortunately,I fear Sauron will also fall victim to their unbelievably BLATANT false advertising :mad:

I've only been collecting SS for a few years and while the sculpt work is almost always amazing the factory paint jobs at times leave a lot to be desired(especially for high-end,edition-sized collectibles and for the money we pay for them).

I just REALLY wish they wouldn't tease you with outstanding prototypes that have beautiful paint jobs when they know the production models won't get the same care/time/attention.

Unfortunately,I fear Sauron will also fall victim to their unbelievably BLATANT false advertising :mad:

Only because they've shoe horned themselves into a tight spot like usual. Everyone would have been quite happy for regular metal paint without the glow effect. I don't think there would have been a hell of a lot of people complaining about the lack of glow effect anyway, put it that way.

Yeah, the reflected light effect has me holding back from pre-ordering. It's one of those tricky things that a factory has a hard time pulling off. I need to see proof that they didn't ruin it before pulling the trigger. A straight paint app wouldve been fine to me.

I hope the paint is done well myself...That is my only issue...deep down everything else is fine no other worries...The fact so little money is due on this helps...I bet the box will be huge and am also wondering how many pieces there will be to be put Sauron together

Last edited:

Yeah, Sideshow like any company has issues from time to time with pain issues. I do think though with something like Sauron they're going to make sure these statues come out just right. Especially a piece that costs this much and a character like Sauron.

We shall see I guess sometime during the middle of the year. Its not false advertisting. I do wish people if they're going to toss out accusations they'd use them correctly.

I hope the paint is done well myself...That is my only issue...deep down everything else is fine no other worries...after next monday I will only have 1 flex pay of 90 due(plus shipping)...I bet the box will be huge and am also wondering how many pieces there will be to be put Sauron together

The paint is a concern but just because this is one of the most important characters in The Lord of the Rings. I'm down to my May, June, and July payments left all on the 25th of each month. I think it will be bigger for sure since its 5" taller but I don't expect it to be much bigger. Sauron is going to be very fragile. That is my biggest concern.

Yeah, Sideshow like any company has issues from time to time with pain issues. I do think though with something like Sauron they're going to make sure these statues come out just right. Especially a piece that costs this much and a character like Sauron.

We shall see I guess sometime during the middle of the year. Its not false advertisting. I do wish people if they're going to toss out accusations they'd use them correctly.

The paint is a concern but just because this is one of the most important characters in The Lord of the Rings. I'm down to my May, June, and July payments left all on the 25th of each month. I think it will be bigger for sure since its 5" taller but I don't expect it to be much bigger. Sauron is going to be very fragile. That is my biggest concern.

Josh your SDCC photos are the reason I jumped on him right away...If they look like that one...perfecto...Fragile yes...I just wonder how many pieces will it be to build him

Josh your SDCC photos are the reason I jumped on him right away...If they look like that one...perfecto...Fragile yes...I just wonder how many pieces will it be to build him

I'm glad I could give the needed push :rock There is a fine line with Sauron for sure and they need to be as close to that one as possible. It was so awesome looking in person. That's a good question. Its something I'd love to know myself.

I'm glad I could give the needed push :rock There is a fine line with Sauron for sure and they need to be as close to that one as possible. It was so awesome looking in person. That's a good question. Its something I'd love to know myself.

Plus I'm curious how heavy he will really be...I dont think he will be Cinamaquette or Legendary scale heavy...You shoulda(when nobody was looking) picked him up...LOL:)

Plus I'm curious how heavy he will really be...I dont think he will be Cinamaquette or Legendary scale heavy...You shoulda(when nobody was looking) picked him up...LOL:)

I imagine the base will be fairly heavy but could see him being lighter than some expect. If I had a big enough backpack and suitcase I'd have tried and come home early. :lol

Its not false advertisting. I do wish people if they're going to toss out accusations they'd use them correctly.

What is it then?

I am a late starter to the collecting game and so have only amassed a very modest collection so far,with the premium formats being my favourites.I also have all the SS 1/6 scale figures aswell.

Now,not one of the products I own match the prototype's quality in terms of paint application...in fact,some are WAY off...this by definition is false advertising...if SS show you an image of a product and based upon this image you purchase the product,then it turns out to be of much lower quality,that is false advertising.Don't forget,SS themselves say they employ someone to make sure the production models match the prototypes....now this person must be the world's biggest liar or completely blind to let some of the serious issues like "Sideshow-eye" or sloppy paint work slip through the net.

:lecture
What is it then?

I am a late starter to the collecting game and so have only amassed a very modest collection so far,with the premium formats being my favourites.I also have all the SS 1/6 scale figures aswell.

Now,not one of the products I own match the prototype's quality in terms of paint application...in fact,some are WAY off...this by definition is false advertising...if SS show you an image of a product and based upon this image you purchase the product,then it turns out to be of much lower quality,that is false advertising.Don't forget,SS themselves say they employ someone to make sure the production models match the prototypes....now this person must be the world's biggest liar or completely blind to let some of the serious issues like "Sideshow-eye" or sloppy paint work slip through the net.

I will agree only up to a point...remember that not all of these are built by the same guy ...It would be nice but not reality...A slight, I mean very very slight difference should be tolerated...but if it was way off then a return/refund should be given...Sideshow should if possible by all means necessary try to keep things as close to the prototypes/pictures used to make a decision to purchase...whether it's paint apps or pieces shown in the photos when purchased...:lecture

Last edited:
What is it then?

The product pages clearly state these are prototypes and subject to change. These things are hand painted in China and are always going to look just the slightest bit different. You could even take the RWOS PF and you will find things that are a bit different. I would say all my statues from The Lord of the Rings line are very much close to their prototype counterpart. Now, if you get something that has major issues then return it until you get one closer to what you wanted.

With ss just return it or get a new one. Iv learned my opinion doesn't matter to them. Just take it or leave it. Its nothing personal to them or me now.

The product pages clearly state these are prototypes and subject to change. These things are hand painted in China and are always going to look just the slightest bit different. You could even take the RWOS PF and you will find things that are a bit different.

Bit different? The base looks like it's just been drowned in one plain colour,thus covering all the intricate detail in the sculpt,which is really sad :(

Now look at the prototype pics,the base looks great,with a nice,rich looking colour scheme that embellishes the detail in the sculpt much better IMO,and looks more realistic aswell....oh and btw,I've just been on DROM product page on SS's website and I can't find any disclaimer like the one you mentioned.

I'm not having a go at you Josh,you seem like an awesome guy and I really hate to sound so bitter...I think it's because I'm having one of my PF's repainted at the moment,and it is looking AMAZING :thud:

But it's made me angry,because the PF's are almost always SO well sculpted,and feature amazing attention to detail on the clothing,but are let down by rushed,basic paint jobs and I personally find it heartbreaking as the sculpt work itself is beautiful.

I mean,I honestly think the paint apps on NECA's new 1/4 Gollum/Smeagol figures,are better quality than SS's PF..and that is for a mass-produced figure!! :slap Something is seriously wrong somewhere :dunno

Bit different? The base looks like it's just been drowned in one plain colour,thus covering all the intricate detail in the sculpt,which is really sad :(

Now look at the prototype pics,the base looks great,with a nice,rich looking colour scheme that embellishes the detail in the sculpt much better IMO,and looks more realistic aswell....oh and btw,I've just been on DROM product page on SS's website and I can't find any disclaimer like the one you mentioned.

I'm not having a go at you Josh,you seem like an awesome guy and I really hate to sound so bitter...I think it's because I'm having one of my PF's repainted at the moment,and it is looking AMAZING :thud:

But it's made me angry,because the PF's are almost always SO well sculpted,and feature amazing attention to detail on the clothing,but are let down by rushed,basic paint jobs and I personally find it heartbreaking as the sculpt work itself is beautiful.

I mean,I honestly think the paint apps on NECA's new 1/4 Gollum/Smeagol figures,are better quality than SS's PF..and that is for a mass-produced figure!! :slap Something is seriously wrong somewhere :dunno

Yeah, a bit. As a whole it looks like what was at comic-con as far as the RWOS PF. It's just a darker mud color than at comic-con.

Most pages have them. I don't guarantee they all do.

I don't take it that way. I don't mind the debate so its all good.

I will have to disagree. I think that NECA item is alright but it's pretty cheap looking IMO. At least from my pov NECA could only hope to turn out products as nice as most anything I've gotten from Sideshow. If you're pleased with NECA's stuff that's awesome. :rock

Last edited:
Back