Sauron - Late and thin...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicken legs!

Actually this was a debate (imagine that) when the product pics just started to surface, and I don't believe that Sauron was bulked up any since then. He certainly is a slender fella, but as I said earlier I think this is most clearly seen in the lower leg area, particularly in the ankles. This is a great piece no doubt, I enjoy mine, but I must admit I wonder about those skinny ankles, and just how many may snap moving him around. :horror

elwood49 said:
Just for clarification, Sauron isn't an elf, but is an fact a maia and a servant of Morgoth who is one of the valar.

Confused? Well, Sauron belongs to the race of the Ainur, which makes him an Ainu. And yes, he belonged to the Maiar, lesser Ainur that descended to Arda and accompanied the Valar. If you want the full story, read the Silmarillion. It is all there! But all of this still does not explain why the statue is sooooooo thin....

I still really like the statue, as I said its impressive.. I just would prefer he be a little beefier.. And I stand by the fact it doesnt dispay well w/ the other peices.. I feel it dwarfs the other peices taking away from them.. And yes I understand this is all to scale.. This just coming from a guy who understands the art of display... *gay voice* A poorly displayed collection to me is a tragedy..

True dat and I'm out..

Weta created the original armor and sculpts for the CG rendering, so I'd think they'd know what his proportions should be. I think most people would prefer a "screen accurate" piece over something that has been embellished. And I'm wondering if most of the skinny-biased have seen the statue in person?

I can only speak for myself, I have the statue, I like the statue - but think that the lower legs and calfs are a touch on the small side. :peace

And I'm wondering if most of the skinny-biased have seen the statue in person?

I have the statue, awesome, but he is bony skinny! This isn't the Sauron from the FOTR Prologue.

And I have him displayed with his helm and Mouth of Sauron Bust. Looks cool.

As for what Sauron looked like in the FOTR,,I don't know about you guys,but I never saw a head to toe close up of the character,,and as for the legs except for a quick shot of him stepping on the sword,,they weren't shown at all! So I don't understand anyone saying it doesn't look right? I think his image is perfect,because he is not supposed to be Conan the Barbarian,he is the representation of evil in Middle Earth. His power does not come from his leg muscles or biceps...its the power of the Ring,and his own Black Will...not to mention a "big ass" mace . The statue is so full of detail ,I tend to just stare at it constantly. I have it on top of my Bass speaker my my TV,and he looks great. His image is meant to instill fear,and if that monster was standing in from of me for real,,you can bet I would be pissin' in my pants...! :google

When I finally had set him up, the first thing I thought was: he is just as skinny as he was in the previews of the sculpt but it must be just me thinking this. To my knowledge there wasn'T any mention of this in the forums when he originally came out?! But he is definitely in proportion. The delusion could be through the fact that the ankles and feet don't have any parts sticking out, they're the least "covered" body parts. Hence, they look thinner.

IMHO Sauron looks best when he's displayed so you can look at him across his stretched out hand straight into the face. I cannot display him like that because I haven't got a shelf that deep. :sick Displayed any other way he doesn't come across as an intimidating but rather an elegant statue to me, and that way he doesn't dwarf the figures I have standing around him: The RWoS and the Cave Troll. On the contrary, as Josh said, he magnifies how cool the other stuff is.

He's definitely one of if not the most impressive and difficult statues Weta ever made and probably also the most challenging one to securely ship. To make 9,500 of them may even reflect how many had to be made to cover the production costs, I don't know.

Anyway, skinny or not, I'm mighty glad I managed to secure me a flawless Sauron for my collection! :banana

Blimey, I'm glad I started this thread now. :google

I'm not saying he isn't imposing, he is, like someone earlier said put him next to one of the biggies, GOSF, ROS and he just over powers them and I agree he just makes all the other statues look better. That's not in question.

However, I still think, and it appears so do many of you, that there is just something - something I can't put my finger on - that is just wrong about his body size.

Is it the boat feet, the scrawny ankles, the pinched waist, the pigeon chest or a combination of them all...

Now someone mentioned that it does look a lot like the prototype that we all moaned to Chris and Chicky about in chat and were told it would have some more armour on, maybe that's it...

However one thing that I can guarantee is a problem is that with a wait of over a year since many of us ordered it we all seem to have sculpted it a million times in our minds, which is a recipe for disapointment. Take for example Gothmog on Warg, I didn't give it a second thought till it arrived and I'm still blown away by it, it's one of my all time favourites...

Maybe that's my problem...

It is still the pinnacle of SS's LOTR collection and everyone that has it will put it front and centre and so far anyone that has seen my Sauron has said 'holy honey that's awesome'...

Maybe I'm just jealous I haven't got a Balrog or Cave Troll to stand next to him...

So, now for the next list of issues...

:banana

The top down shot of Sauron's whole body is when he makes the ring in the Cracks of Doom and holds it up. you can she is a huge bulky dude, you can see his whole torso.

Sorry, for me it is not the best statue.

#1 Cave Troll
#2 Daddy Balrog
#3 Gandalf on Shadowfax
#4 Sauron

OK, I confess that I've not seen a statue face to face. BUT, I didn't like the SS publicity pics and from what I've seen of the pics here, I ain't changed my mind.

If I see one in future, maybe I'll buy. As of now, I pass. That said, if you have one and you're happy - That's great :D

TC :eek:

Daveyjaro said:
The top down shot of Sauron's whole body is when he makes the ring in the Cracks of Doom and holds it up. you can she is a huge bulky dude, you can see his whole torso.

I know the scene you mean but I think this is might be from within mount doom and I think it may be the heat haze that maks him look fatter. The shot in the film is also looking up at him slightly and you cant see his feet. In the extended version of FOTR on the extras disk under the design gallery of Sauron the real life armour looks quite skinny too, so I think sideshow have given us an accurate representation of what was in the film.

Daveyjaro said:

Here is an image from the film that depicts what DJ mentioned above:

elwood49 said:
Here is an image from the film that depicts what DJ mentioned above:

I can see where that would give you thoughts that he is a really thick dude but that pic isn't at a very good angle not to mention he is leaning back.

yeh i think it's more of the camera perspective than he is actually bulky from that shot.

i kinda agree too that it may be due to all the armour and stuff on his upper body that makes his ankles look smaller than it should. when it actually is correct...

he is mightly being the lord of the rings and the dark lord etc... but that doesnt mean to me that he has to be like beefy in built. i think his built is normal, of an average man, not overly skinny.

Sauron

Well, you know what the problem is? The camera adds 10 pounds! (In Sauron's case, it must add about 50 pounds!) :wacky

I know the scene you mean but I think this is might be from within mount doom and I think it may be the heat haze that maks him look fatter. The shot in the film is also looking up at him slightly and you cant see his feet.

Josh, I know what you are saying, but for me the difference is very noticable. I think the angle of the shot would not make it look that much different. The heat! Haha!

Sala Baker is a pretty big dude, and with that armor he was immense.

Having said all that, I do love the statue but wish it would have been more bulky. Also would have liked a metal mace like the weapon set.

Back