Sauron - Late and thin...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrishnakhMan

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I know this is probably old news for many of you but I just received my Sauron here in the UK and what a statue he is...

The detail, the pose, the sculpt, the excessive amount of packing to get your nerves jangling as you open him...

Just one question, does he look a bit thin?

I know he's copied from the film and is basically an elf like figure etc but I just feel looking at him he needs a touch more size to really make him imposing?

Anyone else?

:ogat

You want him to look more imposing...put another one of your statues next to him! :naughty

Skinny Minnie

Grishnakh - that's precisely why I won't buy The Dark Lord. He is way too skinny. The sculpture just looks out of proportion.

TC

I think he may actually be the right size, just that the way he was protrayed in the film or book gives us the impression that he should be more muscular or bulkier.

Can't get myself to order it either because of it being too skinny, really like the choice of pose though. I'll probably end up regretting it later on :rolleyes:

My honest opinion is that he is too thin, heads to big (and wobbly) and he doesnt look good next to the other peices.. It still however is impressive.. But those three points still are very obvious to me ..

STOP IT! STOP IT! *covers ears*

Not listening! not listening!

:D
that's some attempt at imitating Smeagol.

I might get the same impression the first time I see Sauron in person but until that time, I will still assume he's great, and when I get to see him in person and optionally find him thin- I'll get used to it. Just like I got used to the size of the Fell Beast.

The guy is a necromancer, not a barbarian.
How true that is.
I'll probably end up regretting it later on
Sounds familiar! If you ever say "I'll probably regret it later"... then ... do what you need to in order to not regret it! :banana

He is a little skinny but I'm not sure why people think he is too skinny. I don't know if it's because they thought he would be as wide as the CT or what. :confused:

Winged Shadows said:
Yeah he is too thin, kinda takes away a lot of the intimidation factor.

I'd have to disagree with that. Having him around the CT and Balrog he looks pretty intimidating.
(check pic out of him next to the CT)

Bodie The Cursed said:
My honest opinion is that he is too thin, heads to big (and wobbly) and he doesnt look good next to the other peices.. It still however is impressive.. But those three points still are very obvious to me ..

Again not sure of what size in weight people expected of him. His head is too big? It looks inporportion to the rest of his body plus that helm is supposed to be big. I really disagree as far as not looking good next to other pieces. He if anything magnafies how cool the other stuff is.

noelleon69 said:
I think he may actually be the right size, just that the way he was protrayed in the film or book gives us the impression that he should be more muscular or bulkier.

I agree.

I'm not saying anyone I quoted above is wrong I'm just stating my opinion to those quotes. I'm not coming to the defense of SSW or the Sauron statue. I'm just giving my 2 cents.

Have to agree with jlcmsu and WrathofSauron here, I think he looks fine and don't want a fat or cartoony muscular or bulky "SuperSauron" who scares the free people away by flexing...

I like the way they decided to do him!

re

I maybe expected him to look a bit more bulkier like he did in the film. But now I don't think there is much defence, and he looks just fine to me.

To me he does look a bit thin in the legs and esp the ankles, Sauron has some waterskis for feet. :google

BLASPHAMY! ALL!

hehe... i did think he look a little thin in pictures but in person I think he looks just fine. Like some said, he is an Elf... so he wouldn't be Trollish. This is easily one hell of an impressive statue. It is just amazing and i can't imagine you guys not ordering one. But to each his own...

(And Bodie... i'm ashamed of you....... *does NOT rub weiner*...)

I'm glad someone brings this up. The guy is way to skinny. Making a character work on celluloid is one thing, making it work as a statue is different... In the movie, Sauron in always moving and gesturing, he never stands still. There is hardly a scene that shows Sauron for longer than 20 seconds. He's pretty neat in the movie. As a statue however, I think he'd been more convincing, if the proportions would have been adapted to what most people expect to see. At least, that is what I learn from this thread, since most people find the Sauron statue to be on the skinny side. Perhaps the Weta guys preferred making a 1 to 1 transformation of the movie-Sauron over an adaptation? Or maybe, they just liked the slim appearance of the movie Sauron, expressing a certain elegance. One thing I know for sure: since Sauron is (or was) an 'Ainu', he is certainly not a Elf-like creature, and therefore his physical appearance has nothing to do with that.

I ordered the statue anyway, and even though I received a 14-days notice almost over a month ago, I am really looking forward to receiving it!

PS: if anybody ever finds out just why they made Sauron so skinny, please share this information with me.

Lookin4Precious said:
Like some said, he is an Elf... so he wouldn't be Trollish.

Just for clarification, Sauron isn't an elf, but is an fact a maia and a servant of Morgoth who is one of the valar.

Sauron can change shapes and at various times has been a vampire and a wolf among other things.

Anyway, I agree that Sauron looks much too skinny when looked at from his left side (the "open" side where you can see his armor). I have him displayed where most people see him from his right side, and in that case, his cape covers his skinny quads. He looks fantastic from that side. I think Sauron needs to hit the gym and do some squats. ;)

Back