Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Far and away the best part of the night. Shame they didn't try more sketches and focused so much on new musical acts.

Some parts felt kind of sad, like Murray pretending he gave a **** about being there. Eddie Murphy felt very awkward, like he felt ashamed about being back and had also just found out he had butthole cancer. I know why he was upset with Lorne and the show for years, but his appearance was very melancholy and uncomfortable.

I'd also like to know who the eff ever thought the Californians sketches were funny. That was such a waste of time.

It had some pretty low lows, and some great moments. But that's been SNL from the start. It entertained me enough on a Sunday night before Walking Dead, and that's all I hoped it would do.

All I could think of when Mike Myers kept telling Kanye to remain seated during Wayne's World. :lol

I didn't catch the first 30 minutes, but what I saw was about what I expected. The writers ain't what they used to be, and nor are the performers, so the stuff that succeeded mostly did so because of the innate talent of the guys involved, like Murray singing and making the probably improvised joke about Franco, the crew doing the Jeopardy sketch, and the obvious chemistry between Seinfeld/David and Myers/Carvey. I enjoyed the heck out of seeing Jane Curtin again, though. Californian sketch was terrible. The musical acts were lame, apart from Simon at the end (I was probably biased as it is one of my favorite Simon songs). The Eddie Murphy thing did seem like he didn't want to be there. It seems like they were trying to give him a chance to improvise and do something genuinely funny (which he hasn't don in about 20 years), but he refused to play ball and just started repeating what he had already said.

Aside from Celebrity Jeopardy the whole thing was kind of a train wreck. The Californians sketch seemed to go on for 2 hours of the show's 3 and a half hour run time. Christopher Walken, one of the greatest hosts in the show's history, was only brought out to introduce Kanye West. Are you kidding me? Having legends like Jack Nicholson, Keith Richards and Robert DeNiro there was nice, but they were given absolutely nothing to do. The biggest disappointment of all, though, was Eddie Murphy. He was probably SNL's funniest cast member ever(although arguments could be made for a lot of other people including Belushi, Ferrell, Farley, etc) and his appearance there was nothing more than coming out and saying Thanks. I guess he thinks he's above going back to characters like Buckwheat, Mr. Robinson, Velvet Jones or James Brown even if it's only for one night. I don't know of anyone who was so awesome for a decade, but then has basically done nothing for the next 25 years. At this point, I think it's safe to say that we'll probably never see Eddie Murphy be funny again and that's a damn shame. :(

I haven't watched all of it yet, maybe half so far. It's a mixed bag, some stuff was funny, some wasn't. I thought the Californians sketch was good until Swift messed it all up. Bill Murray was awesome, the Jeopardy sketch was pretty good. Need to watch the rest of it. The Eddie Murphy thing was awkward. It was like SNL sketches and then moved into some kind of honorary award to Eddie with this lame acceptance speech and then they didnt cut to commercial when he thought they would so he just repeated his speech. Its a shame he didnt want to participate in anything.

Watching this just reminded me of how SNL in the last decade just doesn't hold a candle up to its golden ages. Celebrity Jeopardy still cracked me up big time, wish they had done a lot more new material though, and was really disappointed Eddie Murphy didn't have a sketch. Overall nice feeling of nostalgia but that's about it. Oh yeah, and RIP Jon Lovitz :lol

Who doesn't love Lovitz? I still keep a fair amount of quotes in my repertoire. :lol

It was a letdown from some of the big guns. Rock built up Eddie as this amazing comedian who basically saved the night when he first went on, by improvising funny things. Then Eddie came out and was so locked into his sad script that when a mistake in timing happened and he was presented with a chance to showcase those vaunted skills, he had no idea what to do.

Jeopardy and Seinfeld were great. Wayne's World OK. The melissa mccarthy Farley skit made me throw up in my mouth a bit. But pretty lackluster. I'm glad I DVR'd it and was able to fast forward thru a lot of it.

It was a bit strange to me that they focused on these huge stars like Nicholson and Deniro, who haven't really had a major impact on SNL at all, while Walken, who is as well known a guest as they've had, was minimized.

He was probably SNL's funniest cast member ever(although arguments could be made for a lot of other people including Belushi, Ferrell, Farley, etc)
I would be curious to see how the public would rank cast members, in terms of either being the funniest, or best. I think Murphy probably was the funniest during his relatively brief tenure, but I think the best cast member was Phil Hartman, for being so consistently good for so long, and for having such range that he could do just about anything. I think Hartman epitomizes SNL more than any other single cast member. Second place spot might go to Dan Aykroyd or John Belushi.

Watching this just reminded me of how SNL in the last decade just doesn't hold a candle up to its golden ages. Celebrity Jeopardy still cracked me up big time, wish they had done a lot more new material though, and was really disappointed Eddie Murphy didn't have a sketch. Overall nice feeling of nostalgia but that's about it. Oh yeah, and RIP Jon Lovitz :lol

Eddie looked tired and worn out, he probably was extremely busy that week and probably didn't have time

Back