Samurai headsculpts!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not been around much due to personal issues, but your work, Jessica, is very nice, especially as you went with a more traditional look for the samurai hair, rather than the more ''Hollywood'' look. I would be happy with that headsculpt as it is, because it would fit almost all the bodies I would use, but an extention of the neck might come in handy for people with slightly different bodies. :)

I would like to see more of your sculpts and think you should go with that other sculpt you suggested.

And, and there is a new Mifune Toshiro action figure coming out soon (currently only a pre-order in Japan). He is an admiral not a samurai, so a customization might be nice. :lecture LOL

Last edited:
I have not been around much due to personal issues, but your work, Jessica, is very nice, especially as you went with a more traditional look for the samurai hair, rather than the more ''Hollywood'' look. I would be happy with that headsculpt as it is, because it would fit almost all the bodies I would use, but an extention of the neck might come in handy for people with slightly different bodies. :)

I would like to see more of your sculpts and think you should go with that other sculpt you suggested.

And, and there is a new Mifune Toshiro action figure coming out soon (currently only a pre-order in Japan). He is an admiral not a samurai, so a customization might be nice. :lecture LOL

Thank you. I actually ordered Mifune because the headsculpt is so remarkable. At $80 I oculdn't pass up the deal. Definitely going to make him into a samurai from Red Sun! :hi5:

I just bought the second head from the left, and can't wait for its arrival. He's going to be another samurai. I thought his features were perfect.

heads1.jpg

Awww, one of the DID Japanese WWII headsculpts. I have always wanted to see them with ''Samurai era'' hair. :)

If you convert him, I would NEED to buy a sculpt from you!!! :D

very nice work! I just want a high quality figure of Toshiro Mifune from Seven Samurai.

I am making him in 1:9 scale. Really hate those Mego bodies, but what to do--he doesn't exist in that world so I am making him. Someday I will sculpt him really well in 1:6 scale.

dsc057610.jpg

I am making him in 1:9 scale. Really hate those Mego bodies, but what to do--he doesn't exist in that world so I am making him. Someday I will sculpt him really well in 1:6 scale.

dsc057610.jpg

Have you looked into the Zica bodies? They are 1:9 scale but so much more solidly constructed....

Have you looked into the Zica bodies? They are 1:9 scale but so much more solidly constructed....

They are much nicer yes, but still lack the articulation I want. If only someone could manufacture bodies that are highly articulated in a smaller scale. I hate pictures where the dolls just stand with their feet apart. :gah: They are action figures but can't pose for the shots I want. :monkey4

what kind of material are you guys using to sculpt with. Is that an air dry material and where do you get it from. Local store or is that an online order. Ive been wanting to give sculpting a shot, but dont know what kind of material to use.

I am using sculpey firm (it comes in grey). The color helps me to see all the dings. I was using Super Sculpey but I couldn't see dents as well--it's semi-transluscent...and very soft. You can purchase at an art store or online. You can bake the sculpey and work in layers. I bake it at 260 degrees for not more than 20 minutes, starting with a cold oven.

It doesn't melt the vinyl heads, but I have melted a plastic body by accident once. I thought that covering the non-sculpted parts with foil would protect it--but it just totally melted.

Or you can use air dry sculpting medium, Apoxie. It's a 1:1 two part epoxy that dries rock hard. It takes awhile to get used to.

Someday I'll graduate to wax. For now sculpey firm is what's what.

Thanks Jessica, ok it seems to be that sculpey is the choice by which most work from. I'll have to try it one of these days.

Thank you. I actually ordered Mifune because the headsculpt is so remarkable. At $80 I oculdn't pass up the deal. Definitely going to make him into a samurai from Red Sun! :hi5:

Ah, a spaghetti western fan? :-D Coincidentally, I re-watched 'Red Sun' yesterday. I would like to kitbash the characters in 'Red Sun'. I would make Mifune's character from near the beginning so I would be able to use the Ignite kamishimo, with a black kimono, and probably print out accurate Mon for him. Bronson's head sculpt is out there, but getting rare, sadly. His clothing is a pretty easy kit-bash, and uses some parts similar to the Edge: The Longer figure I am trying to create at the moment.

If Japanese actors in the Wild Wets interest you, Nakadai appears in a western called 'TODAY IT'S ME...TOMORROW, YOU!', which is pretty good, but interestingly Nakadai Tatsuya's character might not actually be Japanese in it. :thud:

Back