Sam Jackson + Snakes on a Plane

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fritz said:
Watched the news this morning and they said the weekend numbers were much lower than expected.

Yeah, it only made a little over 15 million...so quite a low opening (Snakes on a Plane that is). But there's really nothing out right now really and Snakes isn't a film that was going to make big box office bucks anyhow...even with the outrageous amounts of hype.

CAhobbit said:
Yeah, it only made a little over 15 million...so quite a low opening (Snakes on a Plane that is). But there's really nothing out right now really and Snakes isn't a film that was going to make big box office bucks anyhow...even with the outrageous amounts of hype.

Similar to Serenity, in that everyone who surfs the internet knows all about it, but those who have 'real' lives don't have a clue. We have a ways to go before internet hype translates into box office gold... but it's still kind a cool to be 'in' on the joke (which is basically what this movie was - a joke!) :p

I saw it Saturday at a packed house at the Grove theater and the audience was not very into it, although everyone clapped at the now-infamous line. My prediction: The unique experience surrounding SoaP will become classic and will be talked about in film/business classes, but the movie itself will not. It's just not clever enough (in ways that other 'B' comedy/thrillers like Army of Darkness, Slither, etc. are clever), there just weren't enough "quotable" lines in it, and you could tell it was originally meant to be a more serious thriller, but then they went back in and added some silly things, so that it didn't quite mesh.

All-in-all, I enjoyed it (I'm easy to please), and it's worth the price of admission, just to see what all the fuss was about - but definitely not worth renting or buying (unless it's in the bargain bin!). I laughed and jumped a couple of times, but mostly I was bored and would rather watch 'The Evil Dead' 10 times in a row (if I was forced to choose between that and watching SoaP again). Oh, and of all the silly/gory 'B' comedy/thrillers released in the past few years, 'Slither' is by far the best - if you haven't seen it, you should - very clever.

I'll second that about Slither - great funny flick!

And Dusty hit it right on the head - this film set out to be a serious thriller. The title was originally just a working title for the script, it was only after the internet hype switched on that they embraced the cheese factor.

Back