safety from the earthquakes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a bunch of these and use them as your display base. They will counteract the earthquake perfectly :p

youtube.com/watch?v=DHiqVygN-w0

youtube.com/watch?v=rJ1JG2cAXAE

Gee, so many great answers to a serious question... :rolleyes:

-Make sure your cabinets/shelves are anchored to the wall.
-Use Earthquake putty.
-Have collectibles insurance as well as renter's or homeowner's insurance.

lol @ earth quakes :lol

all I have to worry about is tsunamis.

Dave covered it, but I'll elaborate. You need your cases to be anchored at or near the top, and at least one of your anchors should attach to a wall stud (the lumber framework, not just wallboard). Quake Hold sells strap fastener kits for this purpose. The pieces themselves should be attached to the shelf with something like Quake Hold, Museum Putty or Museum Wax (all are owned by Quake Hold). This stuff bonds in a way that means you can't pick the item straight up; you'll need to use a twisting motion to break the seal. Basically, check Quakehold.com and look under both "Safety Fasteners" and "Protection for Collectibles." And while you're at it, get some baby safety locks for all your kitchen cabinets. We didn't have them in '94 and I cleaned out our broken dishes with a shovel. We have them now. Visitors from out of state are always startled when they try to get themselves a glass or coffee mug...:horror

-Use Earthquake putty.

Ecekat,

Dave supplied the BEST answers.

You best bet is to purcahse an insurance policy. Your renters or homeowners policy will cover your personal property including collectibles, statues, figures. It is VERY IMPORTANT you make sure your home/renters insurance policy has an EARTHQUAKE ENDORSEMENT, and damage caused by an earthquake is coveraged. If you want to go above and beyond you can purchase a COLLECTORS INSURANCE policy. I beleive these go for about couple hundred dolllars a year.

I reccomend keeping record of your statues (microsoft Excell), with value, edition size ...ect. Also be sure to photograph ALL of your pieces to prove you did infact own that high dollar piece you're making a claim for. This way if an earthquake does hit you can present the insurance company proof of what you paid and actual photos of the collectibles before they were damaged.

I know this is a no-brainer, but if you are aware an earthquake is going to hit, i would box the statues and colelctibles up BEFORE the ground starts trembling.

I hope this helps.

-Use Earthquake putty.
thanks a lot .
Ecekat,

Dave supplied the BEST answers.

You best bet is to purcahse an insurance policy. Your renters or homeowners policy will cover your personal property including collectibles, statues, figures. It is VERY IMPORTANT you make sure your home/renters insurance policy has an EARTHQUAKE ENDORSEMENT, and damage caused by an earthquake is coveraged. If you want to go above and beyond you can purchase a COLLECTORS INSURANCE policy. I beleive these go for about couple hundred dolllars a year.

I reccomend keeping record of your statues (microsoft Excell), with value, edition size ...ect. Also be sure to photograph ALL of your pieces to prove you did infact own that high dollar piece you're making a claim for. This way if an earthquake does hit you can present the insurance company proof of what you paid and actual photos of the collectibles before they were damaged.

I know this is a no-brainer, but if you are aware an earthquake is going to hit, i would box the statues and colelctibles up BEFORE the ground starts trembling.

I hope this helps.

thank you very much.i dont think my parents have earthquake insurance.i am not able also to find this putty since they only ship to usa,canada and mexico.even if i find,i dont want to harm the statue's base.i think i will go to ask collectible insurance.the only problem is that i dont think this kind of insurance is available in greece,i will check though.if i bought a statue for more than sideshow's price,can it be insured?are there special insurance companies for collectibles or should i check the company i have insured my car?

Anchor your besta shelves on the wall. Much easier that way. Or just get an insurance if you're filthy rich.:lecture

i am not rich but i dont care pauing 200 dollars per year for my collectibles.

Back