S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m actually not bothered by a Figuarts Boba. The Mafex versions are so good and scale better with the back series bounty hunters and Jabbas Palace figures.

Unless they also did the rest of the bounty hunters...... which is very unlikely.

Yep Mafex really nailed both versions of Boba, although not perfect but has got enough good points about it to keep a Boba but like me satisfied for a long while. However the only thing that Figuarts can bring is a sturdier figure compared to the easily breakable frail Mafex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanna throw my hat in the ring. I too love Boba, and Mafex did fantastic with both versions, the proportions, attention to detail, paint apps, etc. The only thing that I think would make these definitive is soft goods capes and accurate colors (ESB cape should be beige with a tan stripe, not green) and slightly sturdier joints. Mafex has gotten better, and their Fetts are better than Figuarts Jango so I hope when Figuarts does finally make a Boba, its even better. For now, these Mafex figures are my go to aside from Hot Toys.

https://i.imgur.com/CJwH0WL.jpg

I think it will an impressive figure just based on their troopers. It should get more range of movement in the arms with the shoulder pads being attached on the ball hinge they use.
AD418861-B362-407E-A1C0-D7D60986375F.jpeg

B2553581-9892-4247-8F8B-070CA1191F9B.jpeg

I think it will an impressive figure just based on their troopers. It should get more range of movement in the arms with the shoulder pads being attached on the ball hinge they use.
View attachment 430478

View attachment 430479

Oh nice, hadn't seen these pics. Odd tho, that they'd jump from ANH and skip over ESB and go straight to RoTJ. We've gotten prequel figures from all 3 films, figures from TFA and TLJ, but nothing from ESB, my most anticipated figuarts are from ESB and RoTJ. Need that Han in Carbonite big time!! This figuarts Boba looks really good and solid but the Mafex ones look more accurate, I'll still be getting this.

That helmet already looks wonky though. Figuarts has a serious problem with helmet sculpts. I have no idea why. 90% of their Troopers and Armored characters (At least as far as Star Wars is concerned) look wonky at best, terrible at worst. They're about to come out with attempt number THREE for a regular Stormtrooper that doesn't look like ass.

That helmet already looks wonky though. Figuarts has a serious problem with helmet sculpts. I have no idea why. 90% of their Troopers and Armored characters (At least as far as Star Wars is concerned) look wonky at best, terrible at worst. They're about to come out with attempt number THREE for a regular Stormtrooper that doesn't look like ass.

I sadly kinda have to agree. As much as I love Figuarts, they struggle with troopers which is odd because they excel at Iron Man armors and Gundams. Their Rogue One troopers were a vast improvement, especially the stormtrooper (which was still a bit off). 2 attempts at Vader and they still can't get him right. And this Boba seems to have the same issue as Jango, i.e. torso is too long and thin. Still going to have to get it tho.

The Figuarts star wars line is going downhill fast. I just got ROTS Anakin, Im glad he is in the collection but damn his faces are so bad, they look nothing like the actor. Not impressed whatsoever... Are they even trying anymore, like WTF???. Quality is still there for the body and accessories but its complete regression for headsculpts. If this trend continues, they will lose all international sales cause black series is catching up fast... i personally dont collect the black series and dont plan too. I only bought figuarts because i was amazed by their sculpts for such a small scale. If the quality keeps up like this im done with their star wars line completely. The marvel line is hit or miss too but damn some of them are amazing (like Iron man mark L), for the subpar marvel offerings i just pick up the legends versions, paying premium for subpar **** is not part of my agenda

The Figuarts star wars line is going downhill fast. I just got ROTS Anakin, Im glad he is in the collection but damn his faces are so bad, they look nothing like the actor. Not impressed whatsoever... Are they even trying anymore, like WTF???. Quality is still there for the body and accessories but its complete regression for headsculpts. If this trend continues, they will lose all international sales cause black series is catching up fast... i personally dont collect the black series and dont plan too. I only bought figuarts because i was amazed by their sculpts for such a small scale. If the quality keeps up like this im done with their star wars line completely. The marvel line is hit or miss too but damn some of them are amazing (like Iron man mark L), for the subpar marvel offerings i just pick up the legends versions, paying premium for subpar **** is not part of my agenda

I'd say I have about 85-90% of Figuarts Star Wars and Marvel figures and there are some great ones and some mediocre ones. We've gotten some really strong Star Wars figuarts this year, most of the Last Jedi figures were really good, Old Ben from A New Hope was good but not great. I think that Bandai has some really talented people work on certain figures (Jedi Luke, Maul, Padme, Mace, Hand and Luke from New Hope) and then there are Star Wars/Marvel figuarts that don't look high end, they look more like the much simpler and affordable DragonBall figuarts (which I also love but tend to have less detail than Star Wars/MCU). Dooku and Obi-Wan from RoTS both look really good as does A New Hope Leia. Now I really just try and get the web exclusives because they sell out quick, all of the other figures end up on Amazon and elsewhere months later for way cheaper so I've adopted that tactic for a lot of figuarts.

I think the Anakin faces look a lot better in person, but I would agree the likeness to the actor isn't as good. I think the regular non-sith eye head is the best likeness. I have no problems with their latest Stormtrooper though. Still a fan as there's no other high end figures. Hasbro can make good heads now but their bodies are ****. I wonder why Mafex just gave up on the line totally; my only guess was that they can't sell them abroad like their DC lines.

But then who knows, they're still making the comic Marvel versions and all the movies figures like Kingsmen and Robocop that aren't being sold in the US either.

Mafex probably realized that they couldn't keep up with SHF. It's taken them months to put out anything from TLJ, while SHF released Phasma and the Stormtrooper months ago, along with several other characters. They seem to have given up on MCU figures as well. Iron Spider-Man, was likely only made to capitalize on something SHF didn't do very well with their figure, the spider legs.

The only stuff Mafex is doing anymore is the stuff that isn't on SHF's radar. Stuff like Kingsmen and Robocop isn't currently being tied to any movie so they can just release those whenever, and it won't be seen as being late to the party.

Mafex probably realized that they couldn't keep up with SHF. It's taken them months to put out anything from TLJ, while SHF released Phasma and the Stormtrooper months ago, along with several other characters. They seem to have given up on MCU figures as well. Iron Spider-Man, was likely only made to capitalize on something SHF didn't do very well with their figure, the spider legs.

The only stuff Mafex is doing anymore is the stuff that isn't on SHF's radar. Stuff like Kingsmen and Robocop isn't currently being tied to any movie so they can just release those whenever, and it won't be seen as being late to the party.

And their Phasma is amazing. I wish they'd take that idea of doing stuff no on the radar and apply it to Star Wars. They've improved their face printing a LOT. Give us aliens, give us more trooper types (plenty of sub clones and troopers to choose from), rebels, minor chatacters, etc

I'd welcome them to do more Star Wars but their price point jumped up too much for me too. $70 before shipping adds up really fast. I guess QC costs a lot!

I'd welcome them to do more Star Wars but their price point jumped up too much for me too. $70 before shipping adds up really fast. I guess QC costs a lot!

But they also PACK them with accessories. Did you see the upcoming first order TLJ stormtrooper? He comes with multiple pauldrons, rifle, heavy cannon (with a collapsed and extended mono pod option), electro binocs, back pack, chest rig, shield, riot baton, pistol and shoulder ammo pouch.

But they also PACK them with accessories. Did you see the upcoming first order TLJ stormtrooper? He comes with multiple pauldrons, rifle, heavy cannon (with a collapsed and extended mono pod option), electro binocs, back pack, chest rig, shield, riot baton, pistol and shoulder ammo pouch.

it's almost like they want you to buy more than 1 or something

The Mafex Shoretrooper is the best version on the market. Comes with a bunch of accessories so you can make it a Captain or just a grunt and is easily the most accurate/best sculpt. Now that Mafex's QC has gotten better I welcome all sorts of license. I've got Robocop and John Wick on pre-order as well as their comic Spider-Man. But like DukeFett said their price point just keeps going up, then again it seems like everyone's is, at least the stuff I collect keeps going up (mafex, hot toys, figuarts, mafex, sideshow, etc).

So Mafex gets my business when they get random license or when they make MCU/Star Wars characters Bandai isn't. Unfortunately the Mafex Sandtrooper was not great so I hope they do a 2.0 of that. I wish there was a figuarts Sandtrooper ...

Anakin's head shape is wrong. The forehead is bulbous and wide, and the jawline is too soft. Eye placement is off, and so on. It's strange that they can nail ROTS Obi-Wan, and be so far off the mark with this. It's as if they got their B-team to work on Anakin. I'm not rewarding them for this effort. At $25-30, yeah.

And the comment regarding the Dragon Ball Figuarts, yes they have simpler details, but it requires uncommon skill to translate the animation art to 3D, and they do a great job with them - clearly a priority line for them. They are often the definitive versions compared to the countless PVC statues out there, and most of the regular releases hold their value well in the aftermarket.

Anakin's head shape is wrong. The forehead is bulbous and wide, and the jawline is too soft. Eye placement is off, and so on. It's strange that they can nail ROTS Obi-Wan, and be so far off the mark with this. It's as if they got their B-team to work on Anakin. I'm not rewarding them for this effort. At $25-30, yeah.

And the comment regarding the Dragon Ball Figuarts, yes they have simpler details, but it requires uncommon skill to translate the animation art to 3D, and they do a great job with them - clearly a priority line for them. They are often the definitive versions compared to the countless PVC statues out there, and most of the regular releases hold their value well in the aftermarket.

Well I'm sure they have COMPLETELY different teams working on each IP. The DBZ and the Star Wars line teams have access to the same materials, technology and resources, but are more than likely completely different sets of people. So while I have seen a minimal amount of problems and complaints with their other lines (Except their Marvel stuff has had some hiccups), their Star Wars line and team is constantly slipping further and further down the tube. MEH is becoming the norm with their releases.

Less accessories, sloppy qc, iffy likenesses. Its not good. And then fanboys will defend the ever loving **** out of them, especially when someone mentions oh hey the Black Series are starting to catch up at a fraction of the price (in some ways they are, in others not even close). Thats not how you see improvements to something you're paying them for. Unless you just wanna lap up everything they throw at us regardless of quality, solely because of the brand. Someone once said to me, we should be grateful they're making Star Wars figures for us to purchase in response to complaining about them not meeting their own bar they set for themselves on figures.. No, they should be grateful we consider their products to be high enough caliber to spend $60 on a 6 inch plastic toy.

Regardless of their faces and accessories, as long as Black Series figures use ****** soft plastic for their bodies, they will always be a lesser figure than SHF Figures. You keep complaining about this line but tell me where the Black Series is doing for accessories and Mafex gave up on the SW line so they're a mute point now.

Basically it's Black Series and SHF right now and that's it in the 6" game at this point. I'm buying BS figures that SHF will never make, but you can't honestly tell me the BS Anakin figure, even if it gets a face printing release, is a better figure than the SHF.

:goodpost:

Imo I see Hayden Christensen in the figuarts headsculpts, and thats the point here; its never going to be perfect, but its a damn sight better than BS sculpts, even with their own faceprint tech. Folk can defend BS all they want, but they can never duplicate how figuarts can create lifelike faces that can sometimes even beat out the likes of sideshow ones.

I think they've actually already shown off the BS Anakin with face print. It still doesn't stack up to the SHF release. BS will never be as good as the SHF stuff, due to the gummy, shiny plastic, the lack of accessories, and the poor implementation of the articulation.

Back