S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my Jedi Luke the other day and wow, an amazing figure! Great sculpt and mostly fantastic paint (the hair is really gold). I was surprised to see that you can switch out the hair between the two different face expressions, great feature.
Only issue is that the articulation in the hips is somewhat limited, but he can do great standing lightsaber fight poses, which is really what I want out of this figure.

This is about all I've seen in comparisons so far. I really like the way the shorter hair looks on the Solo version. Would be good to see what a head swap looks like.
View attachment 419625
View attachment 419626
From: https://thefutureoftheforce.com/2018/07/16/s-h-figuarts-review-chewbacca-solo-a-star-wars-story/
And:
View attachment 419622
View attachment 419623
View attachment 419624

Oh god, so if anything its a TINY bit shorter than the already too short first release? Jesus get it together figuarts lol.

Oh god, so if anything its a TINY bit shorter than the already too short first release? Jesus get it together figuarts lol.

... or is it? [emoji848]
5c60560b579ffa290e6de80700f1a22a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t understand why people aren’t happy with the new Chewie. Can you objectively explain to me why it’s a bad figure?

I don’t understand why people aren’t happy with the new Chewie. Can you objectively explain to me why it’s a bad figure?

The short of it (ha funny) is that its NOTICEABLY, DISTRACTINGLY shorter than it should be. There are two things Chewie should be, hairy and tall. We can't exactly get hairy in this scale (A few people HAVE done custom ones that look great, but thats besides the point lol) and its understandably done with plastic. We CAN get tall. And when you look at pictures of the Figuarts Chewie something IMMEDIATELY looks off or wrong.

VmdxuL8.png

FychR0Z.png

Harrison Ford is supposed to BARELY come up to Peter Mayhews shoulder

8IhNAi8.png

On the figure he comes up to about his mouth.

sna7XGy.png

The figure looks like an average size guy cosplaying Chewbacca. It just looks all kinds of wrong. The sculpt is fine for the most part (they kind of gave him a weird beer belly). But the height is a VERY important thing to get right on Chewie and they fudged it.

But figuarts almost always fudges their tall characters. Both Vader, Phasma, Chewie and really just about any armored character or trooper they put out are terrible.

Funny enough, the Black Series Chewie is definitely a smidge to tall, especially next to a Black Series Han. They made his head too tall on the original version. The TFA and I think Solo version don't have this problem.

oEbggDT.png

BUT the figuarts han is actually taller than the black series han (Which is rare, figuarts usually runs short I'm sure you know)

4Q9NsSW.png

and because of that little extra height boost, the figuarts Han actually looks perfect with the black series chewie

vxFR5Na.jpg

Cause some people aren’t happy with anything and have to find something to complain about, guess people forget this one is based on Solo which is 10 years younger

The BS may have the height but everything else is god awful. Tamashii for some reason never really gets scale right but I’ll sacrifice a little height for the likeness and detail. The Figuarts Chewie is still the best 1/12 scale one out there

The BS may have the height but everything else is god awful. Tamashii for some reason never really gets scale right but I’ll sacrifice a little height for the likeness and detail. The Figuarts Chewie is still the best 1/12 scale one out there

:goodpost:

/\ Spot on

also, inb4 someone mentions painting the BS one, which honestly shouldnt even be an option. A figure should be good enough sold as is, or it isnt worth buying, thats the be all of it imo. Sure, painting it yourself does make it look great, but that should be up to hasbro to do, not the consumer, plus not everyone has the skill to do so anyway.

/\ Spot on

also, inb4 someone mentions painting the BS one, which honestly shouldnt even be an option. A figure should be good enough sold as is, or it isnt worth buying, thats the be all of it imo. Sure, painting it yourself does make it look great, but that should be up to hasbro to do, not the consumer, plus not everyone has the skill to do so anyway.

Well that's exactly my point lol. You can't even fix the figurarts height issue without heavily mod ding it. Half of the figure is wrong. I'm not paying a premium price for a figure that got it half right. At least you can give the BS a very simple black wash, that anyone can do, and make it look world's better.

Figuarts needs to stick to what they're good at, regular human characters. Everything else they've done so far, troopers, armored and tall characters, have been kind of terrible at worst. OK at best.

Well that's exactly my point lol. You can't even fix the figurarts height issue without heavily mod ding it. Half of the figure is wrong. I'm not paying a premium price for a figure that got it half right. At least you can give the BS a very simple black wash, that anyone can do, and make it look world's better.

Figuarts needs to stick to what they're good at, regular human characters. Everything else they've done so far, troopers, armored and tall characters, have been kind of terrible at worst. OK at best.
Well S.H. Chewie does come up a bit short he should be at 7 inches but is only 6.7 inches. So it only falls short of .3 of an inch. But im personally ok with this difference myself. The figure in hand is just a really awesome figure. As much as I would love to have a go at painting up a Hasbro or making the custom hair mod it still sits at 8 inches which is rather tall. But i can definitely understand why you prefer it. Any star wars figure is a good star wars figure in my book. Lol but im a bit of a star wars addict.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm really not sure what you're complaining about with the troopers they have made, they've all been top notch

Well S.H. Chewie does come up a bit short he should be at 7 inches but is only 6.7 inches. So it only falls short of .3 of an inch. But im personally ok with this difference myself. The figure in hand is just a really awesome figure. As much as I would love to have a go at painting up a Hasbro or making the custom hair mod it still sits at 8 inches which is rather tall. But i can definitely understand why you prefer it. Any star wars figure is a good star wars figure in my book. Lol but im a bit of a star wars addict.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Lol yup. We've got options, which is great.

I'm really not sure what you're complaining about with the troopers they have made, they've all been top notch

All of their Troopers, well MOST of their troopers are either:

Under scaled - The Shore Trooper for example, is a great sculpt. But its body and head is so tiny (the helmet is roughly the same size as an unmasked characters head) that it looks like it takes Voodoo magic to get the person into the armor when comparing it to figures within their own line. Let alone compared to other lines. Most of their figures fit in fine with other lines, their troopers barely fit with their own.

(And on a related note, they just don't know how to do tall characters. Phasma, Kylo, Vader, Chewie, all under sized. Then they got Vaders height right the second time and make his sculpt almost worse than the first one. The Death Trooper is supposed to be tall and lanky. They made it short and stocky.)

Terribly Sculpted - The original stormtrooper is so hilariously wonky it looks like a cartoon version. Like they based the sculpt off of Rebels. The RO version is better for sure, but that helmet is still pretty bad and off. The Phase 1 Clone is PERFECT. And then they stretched out the Phase 2 helmet to the point that it looks like amateur fan art. Some of the guns don't even have a hole for the trigger. Its just sculpted plastic filled in with more black plastic where there should be a hole for the trigger finger to go in.

Lacking Paint - Figuarts either does an amazing job with the paint (Mimban Stormtrooper) or forgets how to paint all together (C3p0). OR straight up lies about their paint job (Phasma and 3p0 were shown to be chrome in promo images, are barely glossy in person). Their scout trooper is pristine and white when those guys are literally in the muck. Even the SAND TROOPER they just showed off is pristine and white. I'm surprised the Mimban Trooper wasn't pristine and white. They gave us a semi gloss coated 3p0 who's supposed to be roaming through the desert, without a drop of weathering on his body. Same for R2.

Lacking Accessories - Compare their Clone Trooper to the Mafex or Model kit. They both give you parts to swap between phase 1 and 2 with all of the weapons to go with them. Shore trooper? Figuarts made one type, with two terribly sculpted blasters (with no paint on them at all). Mafex? Makes 2/3 types from the same box. Beautifully sculpted and painted weapons with slings attached. Model kit gives you parts to make your figure into one of all 3 types. Death Trooper? Same deal. Terribly sculpted weapons that are only a step up from the black series versions in quality of the plastic while the model kit and mafex give you everything for both types.

Though Figuarts has been dropping the ball on accessories in general if you look at what other companies are offering for their version of a character.

They're just not worth the price when you get more from other companies. Sometimes for less money.

:fireworks :yess: :blissy:hi5::yess::yess::hi5::blissy:fireworks

She looks awesome. Glad they’re including a hooded option. I guess I should finally track down Chewbacca and R2-D2.

Where’s the best place to get Figuarts quickly in the US after they release overseas?

She looks great but you're not gonna be able to use half her articulation thanks to that robe lol. Also I hope her hood doesn't levitate off her head like all the figuarts hoods do.

Have faith in tamashii and the most commercially succesful merchandise IP folks.:lol Does it say december? Because I kinda expected rots obi first after anakin, but that might still be the case then.

Really hope she's a general release but all anh releases have been so far I think.

Back