S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn’t cancel my PO on the Mafex Kyle, so I put him up on eBay without removing him from the shipping box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I think you missed out. I find it to be the best TFA Kylo on the market.

You get a LOT of bang for your buck. The chrome paint on the helmet is perfection. It comes with every accessory in one box, that it takes multiple versions of from other companies to get.

UR3kBay.jpg

And so considering that every other brand's TFA Kylo also requires mods/tweaks/multi purchases to "perfect", this is the best base to start with.

I’m looking forward to receiving the Mafex Kylo, myself. HLJ had him for about $20 during their winter sale and I had $12 in store credit. So I snagged him and Rey (she was still about $50, which was the lowest price I could find her anywhere at the time). I cheaped out on shipping with registered SAL since I don’t mind waiting. Says they just arrived in my state today, so they should be at my house sometime this week I’d imagine.

I’m looking forward to receiving the Mafex Kylo, myself. HLJ had him for about $20 during their winter sale and I had $12 in store credit. So I snagged him and Rey (she was still about $50, which was the lowest price I could find her anywhere at the time). I cheaped out on shipping with registered SAL since I don’t mind waiting. Says they just arrived in my state today, so they should be at my house sometime this week I’d imagine.

Rey isn't bad. It was their second face printing attempt, the first being Harley Quinn, and as such its barely better than the old style of paint. Definitely a more realistic looking face, but no where near as good as Hasbro's first attempt with Star Wars (Which also happened to be Rey). I wish they'd continue their Star Wars line, because their DC face printing is excellent. They've really improved over time.

But again, her strength like most Mafex releases, is ALL THE ACCESSORIES EVER LOL

yCP2ySt.jpg

7gb1xbs.jpg

1xGc82e.jpg

axToc0o.jpg

Her staff even has this AWESOME pleather strap. Though the color of her costume sucks. They had it PERFECT in the promo, changed it to Grey for the final release (Based on how it appeared to look in promo images due to lighting), but left her alt, wrapped head, with the correct color for whatever reason. Like Kylo, she's a really good base for customizing into the ultimate version of this character. Though her arms are kind of lanky, I've seen repaints of her and Kylo and I'd say they have the best sculpted likenesses of every available version of this character from this movie.

Rey isn't bad. It was their second face printing attempt, the first being Harley Quinn, and as such its barely better than the old style of paint. Definitely a more realistic looking face, but no where near as good as Hasbro's first attempt with Star Wars (Which also happened to be Rey). I wish they'd continue their Star Wars line, because their DC face printing is excellent. They've really improved over time.

But again, her strength like most Mafex releases, is ALL THE ACCESSORIES EVER LOL

yCP2ySt.jpg

7gb1xbs.jpg

1xGc82e.jpg

axToc0o.jpg

Her staff even has this AWESOME pleather strap. Though the color of her costume sucks. They had it PERFECT in the promo, changed it to Grey for the final release (Based on how it appeared to look in promo images due to lighting), but left her alt, wrapped head, with the correct color for whatever reason. Like Kylo, she's a really good base for customizing into the ultimate version of this character. Though her arms are kind of lanky, I've seen repaints of her and Kylo and I'd say they have the best sculpted likenesses of every available version of this character from this movie.

Yeah, I did a fair amount of research before buying either and came to the same conclusions. They’re not perfect out of the box but both Kylo and Rey look to be the best overall total package of either character. I also really appreciate the ability to get more realistic human-like poses out of them than anything hasbro makes. And that goes for neutral/relaxed poses as well as realistic fighting poses (I’m a stickler for accurate/realistic swordsmanship in my action figures because I’m a huge nerd like that).

Regarding Rey specifically, she looks very similar in construction to the Wonder Woman I have (the second release from her titular film). Given how much I love that figure, I have little doubt Rey will be another winner.

Mafex Kylo and Rey showed up in the mail the other day. I’ve only begun playing around with them but so far I’m very impressed. These take my Mafex figure collection up to 12 (4 Star Wars - the other two being the Boba Fetts - and 8 DC figures) and every one is fantastic. Really love this line and glad it’s overcome the initial problems that plagued early figures. As I’ve mentioned in other threads I’m a pretty huge nerd about trying to achieve accurate/realistic sword combat poses from my action figures and Rey does not disappoint! She’s by far the closest I’ve ever gotten to get a totally accurate two-handed sword grip in an action figure: a chudan kamae (middle fighting stance) from kendo. In fact, looking at the photos I can see a couple of very minor tweaks (that the figure is certainly capable of) that would make it perfectly accurate. It may not look very exciting or dynamic, but it makes me very pleased :yess:.

As for Kylo, he’s great too. I get the comments about his face looking “anime” but I feel that’s exaggerated in photos. In hand it’s not as realistic as some of the more recent figures they’ve produced but it still looks great.

Lousy phone pics in bad lighting don’t come close to doing these figures justice (and don’t compare to Galaxyshot’s awesome work) but here they are anyway.

GUDGMig.jpg

NHb4zQF.jpg

xJx3WuT.jpg

koEpDuN.jpg

Nrv5xnf.jpg

Kwh1r3I.jpg

QfVUo3M.jpg

I really need to find time to reorganize my display... I’ve run out of room and things are just getting crammed in wherever :-/

Never frequent this thread much, always on the 1/6 stuff, but man I want that Jabba. Wicket will be awesome too, but Jabba just blows the Hasbro one appart. I don't even mind all the centipede tail segments..it's just a breathtaking rendition. Don't even know when it's "supposed" to come out, but I'm guessing it'll be maybe the end of the year.

Mafex Kylo and Rey showed up in the mail the other day. I’ve only begun playing around with them but so far I’m very impressed. These take my Mafex figure collection up to 12 (4 Star Wars - the other two being the Boba Fetts - and 8 DC figures) and every one is fantastic. Really love this line and glad it’s overcome the initial problems that plagued early figures. As I’ve mentioned in other threads I’m a pretty huge nerd about trying to achieve accurate/realistic sword combat poses from my action figures and Rey does not disappoint! She’s by far the closest I’ve ever gotten to get a totally accurate two-handed sword grip in an action figure: a chudan kamae (middle fighting stance) from kendo. In fact, looking at the photos I can see a couple of very minor tweaks (that the figure is certainly capable of) that would make it perfectly accurate. It may not look very exciting or dynamic, but it makes me very pleased :yess:.

As for Kylo, he’s great too. I get the comments about his face looking “anime” but I feel that’s exaggerated in photos. In hand it’s not as realistic as some of the more recent figures they’ve produced but it still looks great.

Lousy phone pics in bad lighting don’t come close to doing these figures justice (and don’t compare to Galaxyshot’s awesome work) but here they are anyway.

View attachment 442758

View attachment 442759

View attachment 442760

View attachment 442761

View attachment 442762

View attachment 442763

View attachment 442764

I really need to find time to reorganize my display... I’ve run out of room and things are just getting crammed in wherever :-/

I took Kendo and German Longsword for a while too! I do the same with my toy photography. Very particular with my sword poses lol. I try and incorporate realism where I can

SGOxVO3.jpg

ciLjJup.jpg

7qyJd8j.jpg

YgFauJg.jpg

b0b0d49.jpg

I took Kendo and German Longsword for a while too! I do the same with my toy photography. Very particular with my sword poses lol. I try and incorporate realism where I can

Awesome! I can definitely see it in the photos you posted. I especially like the bottom one*!

I was in the (Olympic style) fencing club in college, then I discovered kendo not long after graduating. I practiced kendo seriously for over 10 years and also got to practice some Iaido and Toyama Ryu Batto Jutsu (which I especially loved). But of course, life happens, and by the time we had our second kid my personal time for things like that disappeared. It’s been probably two years since I last practiced and a bit longer since I was attending training regularly. I am excited that as the kids get a little older some of that free time is coming back and I think I’ll get to start training at least somewhat regularly again soon. I’ve also been thinking about trying out ARMA but that will likely have to wait a while yet.

*I don’t remember the proper Japanese name/phraseology for it, but I remember that cross-handed, upwards, diagonal cut being so awkward and difficult to get right in Batto Jutsu! Brings back lots of memories.

I thought they did last year but I guess that was the show they put on after we have Toy Fare. Then there is the show in May right?

Bandai just seems to have a problem nailing the likeness on a majority of their bearded figures. They always look somewhat off. TLJ Luke is one of the few exceptions.

Back