S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome work Orbital!

Were you guys expecting a behemoth, monstrous form akin to Coolers? IMO, it's perfect. It's Freeza's equivalent of the Super Saiyan. Thus it's perfect.He looks like a super frieza in which he is!

But it's been established with Goku that God like power is visually minimalist...

That's what I was saying, even if it was similar to Cooler's form then everyone would've still bashed it for not being original or whatever reason. It's gonna be funny when Toriyama reveals his designs for the other 11 Gods of Destruction, people are gonna lose their minds :D

I wouldn't say the design is perfect but it's not OMG TERRIBLE either. It's Freeza über-powered up, nothing more nothing less

I agree with all these posts....well some of them contradict each other. While there could be cooler designs, I don't think they made sense to go crazy. Silrian, that fan picture you posted looked awesome, but I don't think he should go to a bigger size. I think you're idea for making him all gold is best, but hey, this is Toriyama's baby.

It's cool to have him embrace the color's of the Super Saiyan if that's what they're going for. He's embracing his fear and using it against his enemies, like Batman. Bruce Wayne clothes himself in a demonic creature to help others—further mocking evil. It's kind of similar to Vegeta wearing his Saiyan outfit. There's so much evil associated with the race, and he's going to make reparations for that. It doesn't hurt that his loving wife is making it for him!

I don't get the complaints for hims wearing him Boo arc outfit, since he just didn't wear his armor because it was against the tournament rules. That's why Gohan had to wear the bandana, because the helmet was considered armor. Vegeta was wearing that jumpsuit since he was a kid:
View attachment 170633

I don't understand how folks here are upset about the stuff in Battle of Gods, but liked the Boo arc. I thought the kids turning SSJ, Goku and Vegeta turning SSJ2 and beyond, Ultimate Gohan, and Gotenks were stupid. Gohan turned into a moron when he turned Ultimate. When he was a kid, he was a sloppy fighter, who let his rage guide him. As the series progressed, he became an amazingly skilled fighter in the Cell Games. After everyone, including his loved ones died, Gohan comes back as Ultimate Gohan as a cocky reactive fighter when fighting Boo. He deserved to die. Everyone was an idiot in that arc.

Battle of Gods wasn't the greatest, but it was far better written. The highschool stuff, training, the tournament, and Final Atonement were good in the Boo arc, but that's about it. I think the new movie will be great, and only sad that we have to wait till 2016 or 2017 to watch it.

I think the main problem is simply what it always is: Toriyama isn't that serious as a writer. And many of us western audiences do appreciate aspects of DBZ in a way more serious tone than Toriyama does, because of the old dubs.

To most western eyes the comedy is second at best and something to ignore at worst. For Toriyama the comedy was originally equal to the action and he's trying to bend back toward that. He already did that with the Buu Arc. He's explicitely said Goku's god form was't buffer but slimmer because he felt Goku was becoming to macho. That's bonkers to western fans. That's why I like the Cell arc the most, it's the only period where DBZ was pretty much entirely serious. And I bet Toriyama dislikes that arc the most. It's just the cursed gap of perception we landed in when Funimation saw an anime and gave it a more serious tone for western audiences (the Ocean dub was a voicecast hired by Funi, but still a funimation production).

Nothing to do about it.:dunno

This was an interesting quote by Sean Schemmel in regards to the old dub:

I'll talk as loudly as I want now, and I'll be heard. The reason is you're misunderstanding some things about companies and dubbing and how they control our mouths. Just because I was in the original DBZ, doesn't mean I liked it or supported it artistically. We were all frustrated with the old powers that be at Funimation, and for those of you who have never worked in show business professionally, which I would say is, all of you, you may not realize that many companies stance on gag orders is this. "Shut up or be fired." Also, I have a LOT more experience, writing, dubbing, directing and acting in anime than I did when I recorded DBZ the first time. That was my first acting audition. I understand Japanese culture, voice acting, adaptation, the differences between japanese and english significantly more, and, as far as music is concerned I have vast experience in that area, so when I tell you the music will suck, aside from your own subjective experience, I'm pretty qualified to talk about the suckiness of music or not. Of course to each his own at the end of the day. I will be silent about my opinions no longer. We did the best we could with DBZ with some really really crappy decisions that were made by people, who in my opinion, not only had zero artistic talent and experience, were also trying to appease american audiences to make money because perhaps they thought the Pokemon formula would work for DBZ. If America wasn't so uptight about things and parents didn't allow the tv to babysit their children, perhaps more shows would come the U.S. and be uncut. At the end of the day, I am, and have always been a freelance actor, and just because I work for a company doesn't mean I support their decisions. This is the first time I have supported Funi's decisions publicly, and the staff at Funi is now amazing. It's a completely different company.

Have a nice day.

-Sean Schemmel

I put together another sketch. It's not quite finished, I was going to add the ki auras and electricity too. I might color it too.

ehjg5x.jpg

For anyone who wants battle damaged versions of the Figuarts, I think this is it. The Figuarts Zero are in scale with the Figuarts and are basically exclusively battle damaged. It's their way of giving us battle damaged Figuarts. I don't mind since they all scale together nicely and look damn good but I'm still hoping one day they do SH Figuarts battle damaged

This gives me hope for a battle damaged Majin Vegeta

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

This was an interesting quote by Sean Schemmel in regards to the old dub:

I'll talk as loudly as I want now, and I'll be heard. The reason is you're misunderstanding some things about companies and dubbing and how they control our mouths. Just because I was in the original DBZ, doesn't mean I liked it or supported it artistically. We were all frustrated with the old powers that be at Funimation, and for those of you who have never worked in show business professionally, which I would say is, all of you, you may not realize that many companies stance on gag orders is this. "Shut up or be fired." Also, I have a LOT more experience, writing, dubbing, directing and acting in anime than I did when I recorded DBZ the first time. That was my first acting audition. I understand Japanese culture, voice acting, adaptation, the differences between japanese and english significantly more, and, as far as music is concerned I have vast experience in that area, so when I tell you the music will suck, aside from your own subjective experience, I'm pretty qualified to talk about the suckiness of music or not. Of course to each his own at the end of the day. I will be silent about my opinions no longer. We did the best we could with DBZ with some really really crappy decisions that were made by people, who in my opinion, not only had zero artistic talent and experience, were also trying to appease american audiences to make money because perhaps they thought the Pokemon formula would work for DBZ. If America wasn't so uptight about things and parents didn't allow the tv to babysit their children, perhaps more shows would come the U.S. and be uncut. At the end of the day, I am, and have always been a freelance actor, and just because I work for a company doesn't mean I support their decisions. This is the first time I have supported Funi's decisions publicly, and the staff at Funi is now amazing. It's a completely different company.

Have a nice day.

-Sean Schemmel

Goku sounds pretty defensive and condescending. Maybe he should eat a senzu bean and go take a nap.

I really do like both your line art and your interpretation of Toriyama's style, but your anatomy needs a whole lot of work. Both figures' compositions are all over the place, making them both very awkward and even uncomfortable to look at. Also, Goku's face is super jacked up. Try establishing a median line the bisects his face and work around that as the basis for where you place the facial features. There's some good solid work there, it just needs a bit of tweaking and you'd be surprised how much of an improvement it will have on the whole piece. I hope you don't terribly mind me adding my two cents, but I feel you're a stage with your art where a few little critics could have a major effect in your advancement.

I think the new movie will be great, and only sad that we have to wait till 2016 or 2017 to watch it.

Why would we have to wait? Comes out April 18 I believe. When BoGs came out in Japan it was also released limited here in America. It was showing at a theatre not far from my house.

EDIT: Apparently the release date for Murica is December 31st. But, we'll no doubt be able to stream the Japanese version way before then.

It's cool to have him embrace the color's of the Super Saiyan if that's what they're going for. He's embracing his fear and using it against his enemies, like Batman. Bruce Wayne clothes himself in a demonic creature to help others—further mocking evil. It's kind of similar to Vegeta wearing his Saiyan outfit. There's so much evil associated with the race, and he's going to make reparations for that. It doesn't hurt that his loving wife is making it for him!

I don't get the complaints for hims wearing him Boo arc outfit, since he just didn't wear his armor because it was against the tournament rules. That's why Gohan had to wear the bandana, because the helmet was considered armor.

Great point about Vegeta repurposing the saiyan armor for "good". Through his actions he challenges our perception of what the armor stands for. However, I still don't dig on the gray...

Also, good catch in regards to Vegeta's buu saga outfit. I think I just assumed Vegeta stopped wearing his armor because he's a badass. It's easy to forget that these sagas take place over a relatively short period of time. I guess Vegeta didn't have time to run home and change.

I really do like both your line art and your interpretation of Toriyama's style, but your anatomy needs a whole lot of work. Both figures' compositions are all over the place, making them both very awkward and even uncomfortable to look at. Also, Goku's face is super jacked up. Try establishing a median line the bisects his face and work around that as the basis for where you place the facial features. There's some good solid work there, it just needs a bit of tweaking and you'd be surprised how much of an improvement it will have on the whole piece. I hope you don't terribly mind me adding my two cents, but I feel you're a stage with your art where a few little critics could have a major effect in your advancement.

What do you mean they are all over the place?

I would love for you to critique my work!

line work is good man. some of the proportions are a bit off like Gokus right lower leg. What are you using to draw this on?

line work is good man. some of the proportions are a bit off like Gokus right lower leg. What are you using to draw this on?

I admit the legs kinda got messed up with Goku since I was impatient and didn't plan it out accordingly. I'm using a Wacom Bamboo tablet.

@Bane wow Vegeta wore that during that flashback? Damn I've never realised that. Regarding the rest you said, I dunno, thanks for preferring the all gold idea, but still, I'm not sure if I feel there's any real deeper reason for these colours. It looks like Toriyama was just like 'I'm gonna surprise them because it's funny'.

Schemmel didn't really say much that was new to me, except that apparently it's now a lot better of a workplace at foundation it seems. I'm also not that interested in opinions from the voice actors here, because DBZ is in a unique position and I think people just gotta respect the OG western generation saw something different which they did like. DBZ got its western fanbase based on the version they got then so clearly demeaning that version is dumb, because if it truly was bad it wouldn't have been successful – especially taking into account that the initial DBZ success was the Ocean Dub's, not Funimation's voicecast. If I had gotten Kai back then I don't think I'd be on this forum now. Not joking. Ocean group did a cool thing with the first 64 episodes and right when the series became at its fracnhise's peak seriousness (later namek and the whole android period) Funimation took over and added an even deeper score.

First 64 Ocean episodes, then Funimation = DBZ to me. That's what I'm a fan of, in its entirety (even the voice change), and that's why I'm posting here. I don't really care what others think of that, including the voice actors or even Toriyama himself.

And in that sense I can go along with Crisis that I'm not actually annoyed at whatever they do now with DBZ, because my fandom lies in already something that's sort of a 'bastard' version. But like Snake, I don't have to like it either if it doesn't fit into what makes me a fan of DBZ.

Also awesome work Snake! Wanted to ask what you use but you already said.:lol

I really do like both your line art and your interpretation of Toriyama's style, but your anatomy needs a whole lot of work. Both figures' compositions are all over the place, making them both very awkward and even uncomfortable to look at. Also, Goku's face is super jacked up.

This was not the way to do this. Your compliment sandwich is filled with razor blades. It's obvious he's an artist and I'm sure he has other people in his life who provide him with critique, like teachers and mentors. Random Internet dudes do not fall into that category.

This was not the way to do this. Your compliment sandwich is filled with razor blades. It's obvious he's an artist and I'm sure he has other people in his life who provide him with critique, like teachers and mentors. Random Internet dudes do not fall into that category.

Agree totally with this, we post dbz stuff on here thinking people might enjoy it cause we all love dbz, I personally draw for fun others might want to pursue it as a profession, but unless u sir can draw urself keep ur harsh critism to urself, I'm sure constructive is welcome( depending who it's coming or if the artist asked for it) but there was a lot nicer way of saying "the legs look a little off"

Back