S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the thing is, his body grows, yet his head stays more or less the same, ergo the relative proportions do change. His cell saga appearance has less of a big head in the anime than this I'd say. It's like he has the saiyan saga internal proportions, but the android saga size, so it looks to me.

And thanks, sorry 'bout the picture size I don't know how to manually downscale on this site.

Neither do I, not great when you have a phone that takes decent pics lol.

You gave me an idea when you said he was too broad; I wonder (apart from wrong colours) if Krillins torso could be swapped with Gokus for a logo look, I know the belt fits but his torso I dont know. If you find the right colour to go with Krillins colour it could be an easy custom!

Thanks! Born out of necessity, my Trunks feet can't stay flat completely, so it's impossible to pose him in a very life like standing state without him falling over or needing a stand. Oddly enough this does stay put pretty well.:lol

Accidentally I noticed a cool shadow effect so what do you guys think of this picture (if only I had dusted first:p)?
tumblr_mzyvpvsoOM1s4ie08o1_1280.jpg

Trunks is " standing in his fathers shadow" lool looks really cool

Thanks Rashidp!

Damn Big D, that might actually work. Problem would be the belt. The flaps are too short for goku and he doesn't wear the logo with the piccolo style belt, ever. So I'm afraid that still kills the idea.:(

Saiyan saga goku sdcc exclusive..?

And that's what's got me debating if I should pre-order multiple Goku's or just buy one and wait for a SDCC exclusive. That's THE look for Goku.

Good news and bad; good is that I remember showing off a pic of Goku with Krillins belt on, so that fits, however, all of krillins balljoint holes are bigger than Gokus, so unless you modified them it wont fit together; it DOES scale well though.

This is the pic I was on about (which incidentally has gotten around ALOT of the boards lol)

gokubelt.png

Wait, what!? What a lot of you are failing to understand is that in Toriyama's DB Universe there is no such place as Japan. So, it is impossible for Goku to be Japanese, as Goku is a Saiyan and not human at all. It would seem that Toriyama envisioned a world modelled loosely off our own world but with enough room to accommodate for the over the top action and quirkiness that is apparent throughout all of his work. If we use the DB series as a guide we can see several different sub-species of humanoids again modelled loosely of real-world races, ex. Japanese, Chinese, Indians, American-Indians and multiple varieties of Anglo-Europeans - all of which have been infused with Toriyama's signature style. Are we forgetting this is a magical world were talking humanoid-beasts and living dinosaurs are common place?

I for one certainly don't see the DBZ cast as being solely Japanese or Western characters, that's ignorant to the source material. Let us not forget that DragonBall is a global scaled adventure to search out the dragonballs from the far reaches of the world, as Goku encounters many new friends and foes along the way. So it would be safe to assume that the cast are from various racial backgrounds as Goku roams the wilds of the world. This is what I envision to be accurate: Goku and Vegeta-Western European, Bulma-Japanese, Chi-Chi-Chinese, Krillin-Tibetan, Yamcha-Japanese, Tien-Tibetan?, Chiaotzu-Peruvian, Piccollo-nondescript and Gohan and Trunks-Eurasian. Of course each actor should portray strong physical likeness to the characters as well. It is my honest opinion that due to the dynamic fighting style and impossible shots and unrealistic camera angles makes it impossible to recreate in a live-action movie.

That's not to say it couldn't be fully realised as a 3-D styled movie in the vein of films like Tin-Tin, Beo-wolf and Shrek. In cinema there is such a thing called suspension of disbelief, which basically refers to whether or not the audience will engage in a movie based on its level of believability. Usually films with real actors and CG characters are interpreted as odd, seeing as the comparison between real world objects and make believe is so blatantly apparent. The same goes for terribly or poor cgi, for example when it is obvious that something is intangible it makes it impossible to fully invest yourself in the lie before your eyes. With the advances in CGI and facial capture techniques I truly believe a genuine DBZ movie may soon be on the cards. A 3D world enables for room of creative character design, not physically possible in reality and also opens the door to a more faithful recreation of the Dragonball universe. Also, the possibility of the english speaking voice cast overdubbing the actors performance is maximum!

Last edited:
Its not ignorant, all anime has roots in japanese culture; yes, Goku is a saiyan, but the way he and everything around him is portrayed makes it seem Japanese. The meals, the way they all dress, the original writing on billboards and the obvious language.

To add to my point, look at the buildings; when they arent skyscrapers or domes what are they? Japanese roofed square buildings.

Heck, the first building we EVER see is grampa Gohans hut, which is Japanese.

Also, this truly isn't meant as offensive whatsoever, I love a lot about Japan, but anime is in its entirety per definition japanese, which means that unless it's very clearly stated, at least japanese people themselves will just look at it as japanese. Maybe a non existent magical, fantastical version of it, but still. Or so many hardcore anime fans often tell me. To rephrase it somewhat, I'm pretty sure if a live action dbz film would get made in japan, they'd cast EVERYONE with japanese people and would probably be fine with it as 'anime is japanese'. The baseline unless stated otherwise is that everything is, implicitly, set in 'the world japanese people live in', which to an outsider is 'japan', but to japanese people it's simply they're world, they;re normal cultural pov.

Maybe I've gotten a wrong perspective on how anime is viewed within japan, but I think it's truly a massive difference in cultural frame of reference. I'm pretty sure a lot of japanese people wouldn't even realise there are people out there who do NOT see Goku as clearly japanese. They'd probably be stupefied by that. He;s a japanese hero, written by a japanese guy in a drawing style per definition called japanese.:lol

I don't think either perspective is wrong, this is all just fictional. That's exactly why your argument, though it would seem to at first glance to do so, doesn't hold up Supernaturaladdict, exactly because it is all fictional, ANYTHING is possible, including all saiyans being exactly like japanese people. The whole world could be just Japan/asia. You really think a japanese man makes up an animated series strictly in japan's own style Anime (Manga), has it based on asian cultures, and mostly filled with asian aesthetics and appearances and would look at Goku and say 'yeah, he's closest to west european..." I think not mate.:) I think that's our POV as non-asian people.

The style is ambiguous and that makes it prone to the cultural interpretation of the viewer, it's that simple. The person who made it made something japanese for japanese people, there's no reason for him to view it with any different pov then that unless he explicitly meant to do so. I think he did mean to with e.g. Bulma and the twin androids, but not the main character based on an asian legend... There's no way to make a dbz film that can cater to both regions if it has to cast real life people... No way at all.

There's two DBZ's: the japanese one, and the western one. As weird as that may seem to anyone, I see no way around those parallel POV's.

I don't know if this is right, but you hear a lot in the media about how people of different ethnicity's can't relate well with other characters and how "offensive" it is. Go on youtube and you'll see how diverse the fan base for Dragon Ball is. If someone didn't point out, I wouldn't have even thought them as Japanese. I still don't think of them any different. I can relate to Vegeta in someways more than any character or heck, person I have ever met. A reason I love these characters so much is for how real they feel, and seem exactly like a lot of people I know, and none of them are Japanese. I don't think of ethnicity or races, I just think of the character. They have no influence on me.

I'm with Nappa! I hate the media!

You're right Solarium! Everybody in Dragonball is totally Japanese, especially King Choppa, Nam, Hercule, Olibu, Bora and Upa, Uub, Korin, Kami and Popo... Commander Red, General Blue and my all time favourite General Black, who at first glance would seem to have an incredibly racist code name, but no, it's okay seeing as he like everybody else in DB is in fact Japanese! Sorry but no, not all DBZ characters are Japanese. Just the facts son.

Nobody is right in saying Goku is either Japanese or Caucasian, because he is neither. He's just Saiyan!

Last edited:
I was glad to see Commander Red and General Black back in the Boo Arc, returning from the dead to make a movie together. Bora and Upa looked so ripped with the new art style, when they raised their hands for the Spirit Ball!

hey guys i was trying to get some of the vegeta bootlegs and the link doesnt work and cant seem to find them on ebay? any help finding them?

I don't know! Apparently some a-hole reported the listings to ebay as being fraudulent auctions and had them taken down. Silrian? I wouldn't expect to see them listed again, seeing as the sellers looked to legitimate merchants and I'd assume neither would want to run the risk of having their ebay privileges revoked. Bummer, I could use just one more. Lol, I sound like a smelly crack-head jonesing for another fix!

I have a question for you all:

Does anyone know accurate size comparisons between these S.H. Figuarts DBZ figures and the SCulture DBZ statues? I know at least a couple of them might be in scale with one another, but I'd like to know which characters precisely (such as SCulture Nappa with Figuarts Vegeta), I'm sure several of you have some knowledge of these. Thanks!

Back