S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean: The best articulated figures from DBZ.. but not the best DBZ figures in terms of detail and good painting :lecture

Maybe my Goku SS is an exception, (yellowish left shin) but the painting of the released SHF figuarts is pretty different and weaker comparing with the protos, The painting Is flat and simple for ALL figures released untill now without exception (I meant if you compare them with other figures like SE Playarts or onepiece Figuarts zero for example)

Example SS Gohan:

Released figure pics: Not shadows, not matt finish, low paint detail..(classic and bad paint factory) simple, flat and toyish as it looks:

songohan2.jpg

25687615.jpg

SHFiguarts-Son-Gohan-Images-05.jpg

SS Gohan Proto pics:

shf-gohan2.jpg

shf-gohan5.jpg

shf-gohan.jpg

shf-gohan3.jpg

Yo can see the difference, and what I mean right??
:monkey1

I agree. That's why I like the sdcc ssj goku the best because the painting is multi color layered for shading. It doesn't have the monochrome paint job you showed in your pic. For those that want a great paint job, I highly recommend the sdcc version.

I'm still confused though, Bandai started as a toy company, these are small figures and they've been in the game a long time. You'd think with the competition they up their game especially considering the price they ask.

I'm not saying the prices they currently charge for these are reasonable, but their toy engineering and articulation design in these S.H. Figuarts figures is exceptional.

SE Play-arts have a fair price, (49$) considering the size (8"-10"), detail and really good painting

The DBZ figuarts are totally overpriced.. 70$ or 80$ or more for an 5" figure and not very good painting (protos always look good but the released figures have weak painting) ....Bandai is completely insane :lecture

It's the other way round for me, the current Play-Arts Kai go for $60+ nearing $70, and the articulation is just dated and it is done with poor quality plastic.

The non-exclusive DBZ Figuarts don't cost anywhere near as much as you say, I got all mine through pre-order when they were new releases and they all shipped for under $40, some of them only mid-$30s.

I don't think you're ordering from the right places.

Sorry to hear about your Piccolo though, it's supposed to have a light blue shadowing effect, but green just doesn't sound right.

So these are really the best figs out there, nothing closer to 7 inch fig?

seeing as japan is soo good at making figs, they seem to have alot of big franchises not properly done.

Looking at Evangelion the only decent figs(imo) were the Robot Damashii, which are fantastic in every way, but like idiots they release Eva-00 as an online limited exclusive bumping the price to $100!

will that be the case with Trunks you think?

it's a popularity thing as well. Dragon ball toys are (appearently) a bigger seller in the states than in japan. Hence why the DBZ figuarts are a us and tamashi nations exclusive.

They were a huge thing in asia during the 90s.

I think they started exporting DBZ to the US in the early 2000s?

I think they still have a huge following here in asia, especially HK. I was looking around at toy shops there last year, and they are still selling a lot of DBZ as much as they did during the 90s when I went there :lol

Looking at that Trunks figure, am I the only one who would like Androids #17 and #18 as well?

Yeah. Along with mecha freeza, king cold, etc. I'm fairly certain that I'd buy all of the figures that they'll release in terms of SHF DBZ. My interest in DBZ and SHF is at its peak currently. I'm more excited to get Vegeta and Trunks than HT Iron Monger or Cap :monkey1:lol

If they'd even handle this like they did with the SHF Kamen Rider line, we'd get all those. I think sales are looking good so far, as we have not seen any SHF Zero figures from the DBZ line, unlike their One Piece figures. Looks like they are gonna start dropping the SHF jointed line as sales were pretty bad and start to concentrate on the SHF Zero line for OP.

They really need to get some bad guys in here! Aside from the obvious choices like Freiza, Cell, and Boo...and I may be alone here, but I would totally love Android 19 and 20. It'd be cool to have removable helmets to reveal the brains underneath. Hey, I can dream...

just seems like these figures take too long to come out, although we're getting 2 this month I believe

They were a huge thing in asia during the 90s.

I think they started exporting DBZ to the US in the early 2000s?

I think they still have a huge following here in asia, especially HK. I was looking around at toy shops there last year, and they are still selling a lot of DBZ as much as they did during the 90s when I went there :lol

Asia and Europe..

I started watching DB in 1987, and DBZ in early 90s or end of 80s.. (not sure now).

You guys from US came too late to the party .. but better later than never :monkey3

aefd71f5-5771-d4f8.jpg

Here's a live pic of the shading and coloring for sdcc goku.

That SDCC SS Goku exclusive looks great in hand, the best painting I've seen of all SHF DBZ figures released to date, but the proto looks a bit better and different aswell. (I regret not buying it :/)

sdcc-goku-01b.jpg

It's the other way round for me, the current Play-Arts Kai go for $60+ nearing $70, and the articulation is just dated and it is done with poor quality plastic.

The non-exclusive DBZ Figuarts don't cost anywhere near as much as you say, I got all mine through pre-order when they were new releases and they all shipped for under $40, some of them only mid-$30s.

I don't think you're ordering from the right places.

Sorry to hear about your Piccolo ough, it's supposed to have a light blue shadowing effect, but green just doesn't sound right.

I paid just between 49$ and 59$ for al the playarts I own (MGS and the 3 Deus Ex figures) but did'nt PO,ed them.. I think the next MGS figures will be more expensive, and probably reach 70$, but IMO they deserve the money.

Yes. Mi Piccolo's cape had an ugly green washing effect.. instead blue ¿¿??(I did'nt know should be blue,:rotfl) but anyways I repainted the full cape in matt/ dull white color)

Last edited:
They really need to get some bad guys in here! Aside from the obvious choices like Freiza, Cell, and Boo...and I may be alone here, but I would totally love Android 19 and 20. It'd be cool to have removable helmets to reveal the brains underneath. Hey, I can dream...

just seems like these figures take too long to come out, although we're getting 2 this month I believe

I'd get from Android 13 to 20. Have no love for 1- 12 as that would prolly fall in the DB saga instead of Z. But realistically speaking, I think we were to get any androids, it would be android 16-18 as they were the popular ones out of the bunch.

Yeah, the brain thing would be sweet! :lol

I think you should pick up Piccolo now, and just pick up Goku when hes released. Same thing with Vegeta.

Unless you wanna wait for the next re-release of Piccolo, since I think hes gonna reach Gohan status any time now.

Which Vegeta are you waiting for anyways? the first appearance, evil Vegeta?
Yeah, you're probably right about Piccolo. But I think I'll be a'aight with just the 2 Saiyajins if he gets too pricey. I just want a black haired Vageta. Doesn't matter to me much if he has the armor or just the blue shirt, though I suspect they'll go with the former since he's being released in the other outfit with yellow hair.

Asia and Europe..

I started watching DB in 1987, and DBZ in early 90s or end of 80s.. (not sure now).

You guys from US came too late to the party .. but better later than never :monkey3

That SDCC SS Goku exclusive looks great in hand, the best painting I've seen of all SHF DBZ figures released to date, but the proto looks a bit better and different aswell. (I regret not buying it :/)

sdcc-goku-01b.jpg

Actually I think that pic you posted is the actual production, not proto pic. As the arms and waist band's color (purplish) differs from those of of his inner shirt color (navy blue).

I have the SDCC one, and I'm seriously considering of getting the regular Goku as well now. Because as nice as the paint on the SDCC one, it will look off when you display it with Gohan, and later Vegeta and Trunks. As the hair and skin color looks different, compared to the other saiyans. :panic:

Hydeous;4002334[B said:
]Actually I think that pic you posted is the actual production, not proto pic. As the arms and waist band's color (purplish) differs from those of of his inner shirt color (navy blue).[/B]

I have the SDCC one, and I'm seriously considering of getting the regular Goku as well now. Because as nice as the paint on the SDCC one, it will look off when you display it with Gohan, and later Vegeta and Trunks. As the hair and skin color looks different, compared to the other saiyans. :panic:

Nope..:/

This is the production figure:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_teng/6050753410/

The orange outfit in the prototype pics is fully painted, with an orange base color and 2 layers ., and different color

The production figure has a layer (washing and shadows) over PVC (PVC has the orange natural color but is'nt fully painted)

Anyways that production Goku SDCC has a better and detailed paint than the original SS goku (hair, boots shirt) and the arms and head are made from PVC (matt overall finish) with shadows not shiny ABS like the original SS Goku

Last edited:
This is the production figure:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_teng/6050753410/

The orange outfit in the prototype pics is fully painted with 2 layers., and different color

The production figure has a layer (washing and shadows) over PVC (PVC has the orange natural color and is'nt fully painted)

Anyways that production Goku SDCC has a better and detailed paint than the original SS goku (hair, boots shirt) and the arms and head are made from PVC (matt overall finish) with shadows not shiny ABS like the original SS Goku

I think the SDCC will be better displayed by himself since the color doesnt match with the rest of the regular edition figures. Also, the paint on parts of the neck on mine looks a tad too orangey than I'd like them to be. Almost looks like the over-sprayed when they were painting the orange shirt part. :gah: I saw 2-3 more SDCC Gokus, and they are all like this, so I assumed this is normal?

This is my original SS Goku repainted by myself (just the orange outfit, with an orange base coat and two different layers for shadows) I have to repaint the shirt in dark navy blue, boots, belt and the hair.. so is still work in progress

vacaciones062.jpg

And my Piccolo's Anime version: (Notice the differences right? :rotfl)

nuevasfotos004.jpg

nuevasfotos002.jpg

Sorry for the terrible pics.. but they look a lot better in hand :monkey3

Last edited:
I see that you prefer anime version compared to the manga version? I like the manga more than the anime actually. But for Saint Seiya, their anime version.

I see that you prefer anime version compared to the manga version? I like the manga more than the anime actually. But for Saint Seiya, their anime version.

I love the DBZ manga and the anime but I can't understand why Bandai always represent piccolo with yellow pachtes in the arms, instead pink ¿¿??:slap

PD:Only Kami sama and the older namekians has that yellowish color in the arms, instead pink..(manga and anime)

And about Saint seiya yes I preffer the anime or TV show than manga, but in this case manga and Anime are totally different (design, plot armors..) day and night for me

Last edited:
I love the DBZ manga and the anime but I can't understand why Bandai always represent piccolo with yellow pachtes in the arms, instead pink ¿¿??:slap

PD:Only Kami sama and the older namekians has that yellowish color in the arms..

And about Saint seiya yes I preffer the anime or TV version than the manga, but in this case manga and Anime are totally different (design, plot armors..)

Maybe same reason why takara/hasbro always color soundwave's eyes red instead of yellow, as they think it'll look better :huh :lol

I can't bear to watch anime DBZ. I bought the pirated set a while ago, and I think I got the normal instead of the kai version. 30 min of watching and the story is still stuck in the same scenario, Goku shouting and the grounds rising up :slap

Btw, since I think you are more up to date with DBZ, I was wondering if you can recommend which manga version to get? They have the normal sized manga, and the slightly oversized with orange covers right.

Back