S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly, to hell with the manga. If they were TRUE manga repaints, they'd be black and white (god no). I want new characters or battle damaged variants as exclusives, I'm tired of repaints. The more characters they release the better!

I actually think a black and white repaint of a couple of characters would be pretty awesome

Take a look at the ultimate figure series black and white variants and then proceed to slap yourself for thinking about wanting that for these figures [emoji14]

I think a Black and White repaint could actually be a great SDCC Exclusive because it'll be targeted at a niche market. Bardoon mentioned before where anime repaints shouldn't be released only as SDCC Exclusives when a majority of the market demand them.

I would love to see research statistics on how many SDCC Super Saiyan Goku repaints would sell compared to the Manga Super Saiyan Goku if they were given an equal release quantity. Similar to Piccolo and Super Saiyan (2) Gohan.

I think a Black and White repaint could actually be a great SDCC Exclusive because it'll be targeted at a niche market. Bardoon mentioned before where anime repaints shouldn't be released only as SDCC Exclusives when a majority of the market demand them.

I would love to see research statistics on how many SDCC Super Saiyan Goku repaints would sell compared to the Manga Super Saiyan Goku if they were given an equal release quantity. Similar to Piccolo and Super Saiyan (2) Gohan.

That's why they should just stick with anime ones from now on. It's no secret that in America at least, the anime is what most people are familiar with. I would say for the rest of the world except Japan that is probably the same case. If they released an anime and manga version of a character at the same time, I guarantee the anime one would sell out faster.

Unfortunately for some of the characters, the anime versions are only available as exclusives. People then have to settle for the re-issues of the manga ones since they are drastically cheaper. The SDCC should be something that is targeted at the US market but is still considered "new". I personally think battle damaged variants are perfect since they allow people a chance to buy a character they may have missed out on before and it also allows for people that already have them all to get something new. It's a compromise for both parties.

nappa is cool . and i will buy it and pose Goku whooping his butt . but where is KID BUU!!!!

That's why they should just stick with anime ones from now on. It's no secret that in America at least, the anime is what most people are familiar with. I would say for the rest of the world except Japan that is probably the same case. If they released an anime and manga version of a character at the same time, I guarantee the anime one would sell out faster.

Unfortunately for some of the characters, the anime versions are only available as exclusives. People then have to settle for the re-issues of the manga ones since they are drastically cheaper. The SDCC should be something that is targeted at the US market but is still considered "new". I personally think battle damaged variants are perfect since they allow people a chance to buy a character they may have missed out on before and it also allows for people that already have them all to get something new. It's a compromise for both parties.

Well, I believe Silrian pointed this out, Tamashii needs to decide what they're going to stick with because they keep on going back from anime to manga for their releases. Like you mentioned, anime versions are guaranteed to sell better because that's where the largest part of the market is. Broly and Super Saiyan 4 Goku are huge steps in the right direction, to me at least, but they're still holding back on the regular releases. Especially Ultimate Gohan. Anime that **** up. I don't want to have to wait for a SDCC Exclusive where they'll have the proper, darker, anime colors.

It'd be hilarious to see if Bluefin announces Super Saiyan Goku as their SDCC Exclusive this year. Just to **** with the after market and give Western fans another chance.

Battle Damaged variants are still part of the larger market for fans. I know almost all of us on this forum WANT a battle damaged Goku at some point in this line. The problem with SDCC Exclusives is that they're limited editions of a limited edition to begin with. So it would suck to make something that's highly demanded as an exclusive of an actual exclusive.

Like it or not, Tamashik will always cater to its home market before us, even if we are the majority, and Japan prefers manga.

13b2b6da9e2563efe9ef1e0a68587063.jpg

I hope this means we're getting another Frieza soon

Peoples, Tamashii is Japanese, so ANY release that's interesting for the japanese market will NOT be a 1-time exclusive for an event on american soil. You can take that as a simple barometer. They will never make a release decision that means a disbalance in favor of the west, if it's of interest to the japanese. Let alone for a single american event.

- A manga repaint won't be an american exclusive, because any manga repaint has too much appeal for japan.
- The line clearly is reverting back to manga as the standard. Y'all know I think that's unfair, but that's beside the point and beating a dead horse.
- New characters won't become exclusives if they have any ineterest for Japan. That means nearly every character. If there was an exception, I'd probably say Nappa, because easily 70% of his popularity here has nothing to do with the japanese anime, nor manga. I thought nappa could possibly have so little market appeal in Japan, they might go for this. However, they teased over 8000 thousand, not 9000, that alone I think throws this out the window.
- They've debunked selling loose character accessories.
- Thing like battle damaged characters are equally interesting to Japanese people so that's not gonna be an american exclusive.

An SDCC exclusive won't just be something that caters to the west, it'll be something that does NOT cater to Japan. Tamashii reverts a line back to catering aesthetically to Japan, when Japan itself originally let it die. You can bet highly they'll never sacrifice japanese market interest for the west.

Either it's an anime repaint, or some thing or one that ONLY appeals to the west, that will be your sdcc exclusive, nothing else.

but the majority of the figure released have been Anime... I dont see how thats catering to the manga crowd

Not entirely true. The three OG normal releases were manga. Then Vegeta as the infamous web exclusive start had shaded hair, the line was dying so they probably tries to appeal to the west, but his colouring still was pretty bright. Well, that worked, because Trunks got chosen as the next release. They continued the shaded hair. Then ssj3 Goku came, shading overboard.

THEN the line started taking off in 2012, but Vegeta, Frieza, norm Goku, the Twins and 16 are all either manga or NEUTRAL. Frieza looks the same, the twins look the same in anime and manga.

When it comes down to it there's vegeta who's kinda semi-anime, Trunks who's anime, and ssj3 goku. [EDIT: forgot krillin, ownedcount +1] Every other clear anime release was a repaint exclusive.
And every other release was either neutral because it ,looked the same, or manga. And then there's Broly, who was made pretty much because of us, like Trunks.

That puts 3,5-4 non-repaint anime releases, to, counting vegetto, now five manga releases.

Clearly this line has switched back at the turning point of it taking off. Vegetto put the nail in the coffin, this line's "normal" releases are manga releases unless it's something like Broly which exists solely because of the west.

EDIT: oh yeah and then there's krillin with his white eyes and dark gi. I don't think anyone gets what the **** happened there.

But regardless, by now, I think Vegetto signals they've gone back for anything that's of interest to japan. Which is nearly everything.

Yup, Silrian hit the head there, thats exactly what happened.

In other news I got xenoverse, quite enjoying it and it actuall feels like it has depth, something dragonball games always seem to lack. The story is also really good, it should be made into a movie imo.

Every intro where time had changed had me going "Oh God, thats not good"

Not entirely true. The three OG normal releases were manga. Then Vegeta as the infamous web exclusive start had shaded hair, the line was dying so they probably tries to appeal to the west, but his colouring still was pretty bright. Well, that worked, because Trunks got chosen as the next release. They continued the shaded hair. Then ssj3 Goku came, shading overboard.

THEN the line started taking off in 2012, but Vegeta, Frieza, norm Goku, the Twins and 16 are all either manga or NEUTRAL. Frieza looks the same, the twins look the same in anime and manga.

When it comes down to it there's vegeta who's kinda semi-anime, Trunks who's anime, and ssj3 goku. [EDIT: forgot krillin, ownedcount +1] Every other clear anime release was a repaint exclusive.
And every other release was either neutral because it ,looked the same, or manga. And then there's Broly, who was made pretty much because of us, like Trunks.

That puts 3,5-4 non-repaint anime releases, to, counting vegetto, now five manga releases.

Clearly this line has switched back at the turning point of it taking off. Vegetto put the nail in the coffin, this line's "normal" releases are manga releases unless it's something like Broly which exists solely because of the west.

EDIT: oh yeah and then there's krillin with his white eyes and dark gi. I don't think anyone gets what the **** happened there.

But regardless, by now, I think Vegetto signals they've gone back for anything that's of interest to japan. Which is nearly everything.

Gohan, goku and picolo are neutral in the count because they got both treatments

Anime: reg goku, SS vegeta, Vegeta, Freeza, androids (x3), Trunks, Broly

Manga: Krillin, and Vegito I guess...?

and I dont knows: cell (some say its manga, looks anime to me) and SS3 goku is closer to the Raging blast 2 look

and I dont read the manga so I dont know everyone's looks, from the books I have seen everything's been in black and white... :dunno

Last edited:
Back