Rugby's Random Stuff

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugby1970

Super Freak
Reaction score
Okay, so I've been inspired by so many of the artists here on SF. It's been so cool seeing all the work Les, DA, Hurricane, and Darren do. You guys got me into bashing and now I've finally picked up a paintbrush.

My main goal has been to do a Russell Crowe Gladiator figure. I imagine there will be many of these as the Hot Toys head becomes more and more available but I decided I was going to paint my own stuff.

Two weeks ago I dug in and started painting. The results are below:

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

Bespin Luke, on the left, is the first head I tried. Boromir was second and Russel last. The first two are basically unfinished because I got so excited about the Gladiator head.

I'm actually going to strip the Luke and Boromir and start over again. I'm getting the hang of it a bit better and think I can do a better job, especially if I take my time.

Now, last weekend I got pretty cocky. I started a new head but rushed it. It was pretty much a mess and kinda ruined my weekend.

This weekend, however, I decided to try again... I'll post pictures in the next post...

Great work... the Boromir looks fantastic! I'm surprised you want to start over, he came out great.

And the Gladiator looks very cool as well :rock

Okay, so I've always thought there was a pretty great sculpt hiding beneath the Bespin Han factory paint job. I think Mat Falls does great work and I wanted to see if I could do a little better than what came directly from Sideshow.

As I said in the last post, I started this last week but rushed it. I stripped it, put it away and dug him out again this morning. I'm pretty pleased so far and would love to hear feedback.

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

Great work... the Boromir looks fantastic! I'm surprised you want to start over, he came out great.

And the Gladiator looks very cool as well :rock

Thanks Galactiboy. You can't really see it in this picture but Boromir's cheeks came out a little splotchy. There is a weird texture that I think can be done a little better... we'll see. Now you're giving me second thoughts.:cool:

dude, those are great even if you hadn't just started painting. if you keep at it at this rate in a few years you will a master. excellent work....take a bow. :D

Thanks so much, guys. I have to say I've had a blast doing it. It's added a whole new element to the hobby.

I also have to say these were nice sculpt to start on... nice big eyes and features, etc. I'm going to tackle Hard Heroes Tuco and Angel eyes at some point and they seem a lot more intricate... hopefully soon.

The Gladiator bash is progressing nicely and I've begun a Roland Deschain Of Giliad figure as well. Hope to have pics of that stuff soon.

I agree. Looks like a totally different sculpt. Great work!

Slightly off topic, but what are the Hard Heroes Tuco and Angel Eyes you mentioned?

Hard Hero makes a ton of 1/6 head sculpts. I think they've also gone under the name Frontline... not sure the ins and outs of the name changes. They used to make a Blondie, Angel Eyes, and Tuco but I don't see them on their site anymore. You might try asking them if they have more... they pop up on e-bay every once in a while.

Some folks over at one sixth warriors have done some great bashes and a few folks have done them here as well.

h2creative

Custom Lee Van Cleef

Custom blondie

I'll post pics of them as work progresses on mine.

excellent stuff so far man, can't wait to see more!! Love how the Han turned out, and I DO like that Russel Crowe :rock

Back