Resulpting Hair

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCM81

Super Freak
Reaction score
Im planning on sculpting different hair on an already existing headsculpt as I've seen it done by plenty here on the boards.
I've sculpted heads from scratch but adding to an existing one is new for me so I've got a couple questions/concerns:

1. Is it enough to just dremel/sand away the existing hair sculpt till the surface is rough and then just sculpt onto that or should I make some kind of pins or something to keep the hair sculpt attached to the head?

2. Can I use super sculpey and just put the altered headsculpt in the oven like I would with a regular headsculpt from scratch? Would this not just melt the existing headsculpt...they are plastic after all?

Thanks in advance for any input guys!

Im planning on sculpting different hair on an already existing headsculpt as I've seen it done by plenty here on the boards.
I've sculpted heads from scratch but adding to an existing one is new for me so I've got a couple questions/concerns:

1. Is it enough to just dremel/sand away the existing hair sculpt till the surface is rough and then just sculpt onto that or should I make some kind of pins or something to keep the hair sculpt attached to the head?

2. Can I use super sculpey and just put the altered headsculpt in the oven like I would with a regular headsculpt from scratch? Would this not just melt the existing headsculpt...they are plastic after all?

Thanks in advance for any input guys!

The safest way to solidify these modifications using Sculpey is to use a hair dryer. I use Sculpey III and it works very well. Super Sculpey works the same way. I actually use a heat gun that I have in my man cave. You have to be careful with a heat gun as it will melt a headsculpt if you get it too close and use it for too long.

Hope this helps.

I recommend using 2-part epoxies like magic sculpt or aves apoxie putty. They normally cure in 3 - 4 hours. Plumber's putty will also work but it has shorter cure time.

Back