Media Resident Evil 2 (1/25/2019)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s how the game was designed 20 years ago .... they aren’t meant to deviate from that..
There was far more variety to the scenarios in the original game. And, the B scenario did a much better job of complimenting the A scenario in the original game. Play it again sometime.

Anyway, who says that they couldn't have deviated from the original game? They had total freedom to do whatever they wanted with the new game. In fact, they did deviate from the original game in many respects.

Little bit old of a picture and tweet to judge from. Take the rumor videos of last weeks. In there it is said that it´s probably coming 2021 and will be outsourced. Major meh...

There was far more variety to the scenarios in the original game. And, the B scenario did a much better job of complimenting the A scenario in the original game. Play it again sometime.

Anyway, who says that they couldn't have deviated from the original game? They had total freedom to do whatever they wanted with the new game. In fact, they did deviate from the original game in many respects.

This...

So, after all these months of it being released, is it dead? I honestly keep wanting to muster the desire to play it again but i end up opting out. The constant Mr X chasing, the RNG on the enemies damage, the bullet sponge/gimmick boss fights ( which are repeated on both scenarios ), the Sherry stealth section, walking in the darkness for no good reason and other stuff just isnt fun. Playing the game for the first time and doing it all in the moment was fine and you didnt think about it that much. But now, the more time goes by im finding myself starting to really dislike the game. I went back to the game a few months ago on easy to have fun, and i still didnt have fun. I didnt like the Hunk mode, and the DLC was infuriating.

Nobody talks about the game any more, or the franchise for that matter. Does anybody else consider this a failure? I know financially it did well, but amongst us more hardcore fans of the franchise, did it let you down? How do you feel about it now? I really want to know. Its like the game was super hyped, we were all hyped, it came out was received well and then vanished from the face of the earth.

I am kind of worried about 3 now too with Nemesis. Once the initial " stress " of completing the game for the first time or two i fear it will be a chore again but to an even greater extent than Mr X to the point it just isnt a fun game,

So, after all these months of it being released, is it dead? I honestly keep wanting to muster the desire to play it again but i end up opting out. The constant Mr X chasing, the RNG on the enemies damage, the bullet sponge/gimmick boss fights ( which are repeated on both scenarios ), the Sherry stealth section, walking in the darkness for no good reason and other stuff just isnt fun. Playing the game for the first time and doing it all in the moment was fine and you didnt think about it that much. But now, the more time goes by im finding myself starting to really dislike the game. I went back to the game a few months ago on easy to have fun, and i still didnt have fun. I didnt like the Hunk mode, and the DLC was infuriating.

Nobody talks about the game any more, or the franchise for that matter. Does anybody else consider this a failure? I know financially it did well, but amongst us more hardcore fans of the franchise, did it let you down? How do you feel about it now? I really want to know. Its like the game was super hyped, we were all hyped, it came out was received well and then vanished from the face of the earth.

I am kind of worried about 3 now too with Nemesis. Once the initial " stress " of completing the game for the first time or two i fear it will be a chore again but to an even greater extent than Mr X to the point it just isnt a fun game,

It was by most accounts the best Resident Evil experience in many years. It sold exceptionnally well. So no, it's not a failure in any definition of the word.

But it's also not the type of game you're meant to play for months on end I think, unless you're a speedrunner. The scares and the tricks only work once or twice and then it's just a running simulator.

You enjoyed it when it came out, and for a time afterwards, now it's just time to put it down and move on. ;)

Uhhh no. When the game came out it was y’all about and praised. It’s june now and people moved on. There’s not much else you can do with it. It’s far from a failure.

^ But the comment before mine was from 2 months prior, I asked if the game was dead because nobody was talking about it. I acknowledged it was a financial success, i acknowledged it was well received upon release. But i am asking if it was a failure as a Resident Evil 2 remake to us the hardcore fans.

And im guessing that it is. With replies saying " only play it once and move on ". Thats a terrible thing to say about the game, that your not supposed to play it more than once or twice. Id consider it a failure as a Resident Evil 2 remake if literally nobody wants to even talk nor play it again.

And interestingly i cannot even say it was " well received " in the grand scheme of things given how ( at least ) 5,458,970 verified people who started playing the game as Leon never finished his campaign, 3,570,246 people who started playing the game as Claire never finished her campaign, and only 24% of the people who actually bought and played the game actually completed it at all.

There is a major issue with this game and it needed to be addressed.

If the stats show anything its that only a quarter of the people who bought the game enjoyed it enough to carry on playing, if that translates to a 75% drop off in sales of the next game due to people not digging this one then its no good pretending this one was a runaway hit any more when theres clearly a serious issue with the fundamentals of the game itself. Its not i[/] fun. Its a 180 from the other RE games. Normally you have a struggle on the first play through but once you memorise item locations, puzzles, enemy patterns then in the future play through's you can have fun, replay value! I cant believe people are seriously defending the game by saying its not supposed to be played outside of its initial release honeymoon period. Thats like David Cage telling people to only play Beyond: Two Souls only once because he knew the second time through isnt fun and didnt want people to realise this fatal flaw.

in the grand scheme of things given how ( at least ) 5,458,970 verified people who started playing the game as Leon never finished his campaign, 3,570,246 people who started playing the game as Claire never finished her campaign, and only 24% of the people who actually bought and played the game actually completed it at all.

What are the completion rates for other games? I've read that most people don't finish the games they play.

Hell, I bought a Switch this time last year, and I've only played about 6 hours of Zelda over the past 12 months. Does that make BOTW a bad game?

I played the heck outta this game, completing every campaign on every difficulty all dlc got all the achievements etc, so in my opinion this game was massive step in the right direction, BUT I don't have kids, and a very demanding job so I was able to play a much as I wanted, but my friend who has two kids who is a even bigger resident evil fan that i am, has only completed leons campaign since it came out, he wasn't bored with it he just doesn't have as much free time as me

^ But the comment before mine was from 2 months prior, I asked if the game was dead because nobody was talking about it. I acknowledged it was a financial success, i acknowledged it was well received upon release. But i am asking if it was a failure as a Resident Evil 2 remake to us the hardcore fans.

And im guessing that it is. With replies saying " only play it once and move on ". Thats a terrible thing to say about the game, that your not supposed to play it more than once or twice. Id consider it a failure as a Resident Evil 2 remake if literally nobody wants to even talk nor play it again.

And interestingly i cannot even say it was " well received " in the grand scheme of things given how ( at least ) 5,458,970 verified people who started playing the game as Leon never finished his campaign, 3,570,246 people who started playing the game as Claire never finished her campaign, and only 24% of the people who actually bought and played the game actually completed it at all.

If the stats show anything its that only a quarter of the people who bought the game enjoyed it enough to carry on playing, if that translates to a 75% drop off in sales of the next game due to people not digging this one then its no good pretending this one was a runaway hit any more when theres clearly a serious issue with the fundamentals of the game itself. Its not i[/] fun. Its a 180 from the other RE games. Normally you have a struggle on the first play through but once you memorise item locations, puzzles, enemy patterns then in the future play through's you can have fun, replay value! I cant believe people are seriously defending the game by saying its not supposed to be played outside of its initial release honeymoon period. Thats like David Cage telling people to only play Beyond: Two Souls only once because he knew the second time through isnt fun and didnt want people to realise this fatal flaw.

No one said ''only play it once and move on''. So don't use that as an example of why the game is a failure when no one in here said that.

Here is what he said. ''It's also not the type of game you're meant to play for months on end I think, unless you're a speedrunner.''

Any game only has so much replay value in a given time. I have beaten the game about a dozen times and I've unlocked every single gun with unlimited ammo and gotten multiple S+ ratings in less than 2 hours. I love the game and I'm as hard core as a Resident Evil fan as they come. I've been playing Resident Evil since the original came out in 1996. I've beaten the original Resident Evil 2 more than 50 times in the 20+ years. This game is as good if not better than the original Part 2 in my opinion.

People don't play a game every single day and talk about it every day, every single game that comes out, talk dies down, including the original. Every game no matter how great it is gets tiresome playing it constantly and people take a break, so that's normal.

I mean the fact multiple members in here have beaten the game multiple times since it came out a few months ago says alot. Not many games that come out each year do people beat multiple times in a year, especially in months. That right there bodes pretty well about how well this game was received.

This is a toy forum with a small video game subsection. Most people that visit this site are here for toys, there is no toy talk right now and the game has been out months and you think because we're not talking about it that no one cares? I visit actual Resident Evil forums and people are still talking about it and playing it. So basing this game being a failure because it hasn't been talked about in 2 months on a toy forum is hilarious.

Judging from your posts, it sounds like your main problem is Mr. X and his randomness and it sounds like what you enjoyed about the original is being able to memorize locations, enemies and etc. I believe the difficulty of this game is a major reason why you don't enjoy it. Saying the DLC is infuriating and etc. Mr X's randomness is one thing that actually can add replay value, unlike the original that was ALWAYS the same.

When I unlocked all the guns with unlimited ammo, that took the fun of the game to awhole another level. Being able to blast Mr. X anytime I want and put his ass down is fantastic. Maybe you should try and beat the game on hardcore and unlock those things, it creates alot of fun and chaos and made my future playthroughs so much more fun.

Just because you revisited it and didn't have fun doesn't mean it's a failure and it doesn't mean most people feel this way. I still enjoy and love this game and I can't wait for part 3 if it's as good as this.

The game sales were huge, the reviews were amazing and it seems almost everyone in this very forum loved the game. You've already had five replies disagreeing with you, so it sounds like you're in the minority.

Also, the stats you're using, I've seen stats like that with most games, doesn't mean anything really and you'd be surprised how often those stats aren't accurate because of flaws in the game's system.

( the " difficulty " isnt an issue, id dare say im in the really higher ups of people who play and master games on the highest difficulties. ive beat the game on hardcore, its not too hard at all but something as simple as exploring the RPD station you cannot simply do by clearing out a zone because one time you might get 30 bullets and can kill all the zombies with head shots, the next time it might not work, and you always have mr x pestering you. you cannot use prior knowledge and apply it to a satisfying manner for me )

With these replies to my comments ( both of my comments now ) with their primary reason for existing being about asking is this game dead as nobody is playing or talking about it any more, and if it is a failure as a resident evil 2 remake ( as again nobody is talking or playing it any more ) i am not getting the answer to either question.

I am not sure if i am wording it wrong or not.

It sold well, it was received well. I said this twice already and now a third time so i dont know why i keep getting this replied back to me when i am asking why nobody talks about the game any more. My issue being, despite that initial praise, there has been no activity for literally 2 months on this forum. on a game that had been released for only 4 months of a game that has been anticipated for 15 years.

The channels i followed on youtube who made content during the down time on the franchise dont even make anything now. Even during RE 6 which was considered trash, and Re 7 which was mixed, and the revelations games the fan base and this forum were thriving. But then this game came out and killed it all. Theres no merch, no figures, no more dlc, nobody cares any more. Its so sad. You can even scroll back through the last few pages of this thread
( even though 2-3 pages might span 4 months ) you can see how people are commenting on the problems with the game and that the original actually did it better.

I am not trying to hate on the game if i am striking a nerve with people and thats the initial knee jerk response i am getting, just trying to initiate and give some life back to the discussion.

I think this game brought in less discussion than the previous entries (even if it was in my opinion far superior, being a very well-crafted remake of one of the best games in the entire franchise, again my opinion) because it's a remake, and as such didn't really bring in any new lore or information. Revelations especially is a spinoff series meant to bridge the gaps in the stories, fill the blanks, and that's going to bring discussion, theories, and well.. revelations. Same with the other main series games that expand on the story or provide some more worldbuilding.

This was just a remake of 2, a really well done remake, but we learned nothing new from it. It was a very fun, spooky experience and it will continue to exist for hardcore fans and speedrunners for years probably, but for most people there's too many quality games out there to keep playing the same thing over and over, no matter how good it was. The interest will return when the remake of 3 gets closer.

The game is definitely a success. Everything about it is top notch.

I can see why some people may think it may have been not not as great cause of the lack of DLC.
Most games nowaday, after a month or two, you get new DLCs.
Even maybe new skins, new levels.
Unless there was something new I'm not aware about, all the DLCs we had so far came on the week of release.

( the " difficulty " isnt an issue, id dare say im in the really higher ups of people who play and master games on the highest difficulties. ive beat the game on hardcore, its not too hard at all but something as simple as exploring the RPD station you cannot simply do by clearing out a zone because one time you might get 30 bullets and can kill all the zombies with head shots, the next time it might not work, and you always have mr x pestering you. you cannot use prior knowledge and apply it to a satisfying manner for me )

With these replies to my comments ( both of my comments now ) with their primary reason for existing being about asking is this game dead as nobody is playing or talking about it any more, and if it is a failure as a resident evil 2 remake ( as again nobody is talking or playing it any more ) i am not getting the answer to either question.

I am not sure if i am wording it wrong or not.

It sold well, it was received well. I said this twice already and now a third time so i dont know why i keep getting this replied back to me when i am asking why nobody talks about the game any more. My issue being, despite that initial praise, there has been no activity for literally 2 months on this forum. on a game that had been released for only 4 months of a game that has been anticipated for 15 years.

The channels i followed on youtube who made content during the down time on the franchise dont even make anything now. Even during RE 6 which was considered trash, and Re 7 which was mixed, and the revelations games the fan base and this forum were thriving. But then this game came out and killed it all. Theres no merch, no figures, no more dlc, nobody cares any more. Its so sad. You can even scroll back through the last few pages of this thread
( even though 2-3 pages might span 4 months ) you can see how people are commenting on the problems with the game and that the original actually did it better.

I am not trying to hate on the game if i am striking a nerve with people and thats the initial knee jerk response i am getting, just trying to initiate and give some life back to the discussion.

Yeah, you can also scroll back and see people commenting that they think the game is great and better than the original as well. Right after your post a guy posted and said he think the new version is better. You ignore all the posts people made months ago about loving this game, saying it's better than the original and only bring up the negative posts to make your point lol. Me, my brothers and some of my friends were all playing the original back in 1998 and we all seem to agree we like it better than the original. A game I might add is one of my all time favorite games and one I've beaten over 50 times easy.

You're complaining that's it's different every time you play it lol. Sorry, that's what gives it replay value. Who wants a game to be exactly the same every time you play it, go play the original if that's what you want. Me, I like that. The original game is the same thing every time, this isn't but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's like getting a new experience every time, which is awesome. I like the new character designs, graphics, layout of the Police Station because it actually makes sense now. The acting and dialogue is top notch and it shows how bad the original was. The enemies acting different and Mr X actually chasing you instead of you opening a door and not seeing him follow chase until your next encounter like the original is night and day better. In the original, he just doesn't follow and it makes no sense. If you go back in the door, he's vanished lol. Just about everything is superior to the original. I love how zombies actually give chase vs opening a door and them staying in that room. The new game is vastly superior in so many ways.

Since you think you're in the higher ups and master games, why not unlock the unlimited ammo for the guns, and you wouldn't have to worry about Mr. X and can explore like you want. I've explored every nook and cranny and everytime X comes by, I blast him with the rocket launcher and go about my business.

Why are you surprised there has been no talk on this forum? It's a toy forum with a small video game subsection. Hardly anyone comes in here to begin with. There wasn't hardly any merch for any of the other Resident Evil games either, but there is going to be 1/6 figures of this game. There is no new toy talk and the game has been out awhile, so of course talk died down, like it does with everything.

You keep saying things like ''Nobody is playing it or talking about it''

Which is a flat wrong. People still play the game, people still like the game and people are still talking about it. You're basing all of this on a toy forum, some you tube channels and your own opinion of the game.

Every game's discussion dies down, it happens, just like it did with the original. People always move on to different games, that doesn't mean they don't love it. People will eventually return to it, just like the original part 2.
The game is fine, sounds to me like you're the one with the problem.

You say you haven't gotten the answer to your questions, yeah you basically have but you keep asking them over and over and not accepting what we're saying.

You've had what? 7 people already come in here and tell you they love the game, tell you their opinion why they disagree with you, yet you keep saying the same things.

It's like someone bakes a cake, dozen of people love it, then 1 guy (you) doesn't like it and decides it's a failure and tries to tell us why it is lol. It's just not so because you don't like it.

7 people telling you we love the game, think it's a success vs you. Maybe, just maybe, you're the one with the problem? Almost every You Tube gaming channel said it was amazing and some said better than the original. Big sites said the same. Sales were off the charts. You ask why we keep bringing this up, well it's evidence the game isn't a failure and I think it's stronger evidence vs your opinion it's a failure based on your experience.

Also, You Tube channels still play the game, hell one I frequent shows videos each week of new mods. People are still modding this game and mods come out multiple times a week. That alone disproves you saying ''No one plays it anymore''

The fact I've beaten it over a dozen times, others in here saying they've beaten it multiple times shows the game was loved so much, we kept playing it. Yet, it's a failure to impress lol.

Not being rude but it seems you're ignoring everything we've said and just basically repeated your previous posts, causing me to have to repeat myself. So if you respond to me, me not responding isn't me being rude, I just have basically said everything I have to say about it and disagree with your assessment 100 percent.

8cd550951f237bfa57682555c4fad823.png

Not being rude but it seems you're ignoring everything we've said and just basically repeated your previous posts

Well im not meaning to be rude either, but i did literally bump this thread back to life out obscurity asking if the game is dead as the discussion is seemingly dead and you are telling me to consult posts that were made months in the past when my reason for bumping the thread was to ask what people thought about the game "now".

I posted fact check-able statistics that less than quarter of the people who actually started the game even finished it so i dont know why i keep getting suggestions how to play the game to enjoy it.

I also dont buy " t happens with every game " when discussion dies down. On this forum we had die hard fans that would pay hundreds of dollars to make a sub par custom figure of a RE game or character they didnt even care about just to keep discussion going and there has been healthy discussion for years during down time, and years during new releases. Then this, the remake of the holy grail of survival horror comes out and nobody even can be bothered to post anything. There was literall more discussion and debate when one of the Resident Evil fan sites decided to just post Steve from code veronicas prisoner number and people thought it he would be returning.

A bunch of us were all having commissioned head sculpts made of Jill and Chris from the first remake made about 15 years prior to release. A game that is still held in high regard, the perfect RE1 experience. Yet i do not believe this to be the definitive Re 2 experience which is again what i asked, did it fail.

I accept that you are done. I am too, i wish i could go back in time and never ask the question of is the game dead and did it fail as a remake because i knew going in and asking the question the answer to both.

...i just wanted to discuss why it failed in the eyes of a die hard fan and why nobody talks about it any more rather than people tell me it is a great remake and here is the financial sales and posts from the past when the game was newly released to prove it.

Whats there to discuss it's june and the game is done and people are hyping up RE 3 remake now. Thats how games work. This is a remake. What is there to talk about? The story wasn't anything new and people played it multiple times already. People are waiting for RE 3 remake now. The game praise was at an all time high and I played the hell out of this. SOmething I barely do when I finish a story. It was ****ing amazing

It's a solid game, and certainly a giant step in the right direction, but it's not great. The best part of the game is the RPD. Even when I played the game for the very first time, my enthusiasm for it died down when I reached the sewers. I actually stopped playing for a few days and had to push myself to pick it up again. The lab was an improvement over the sewers, but still not anything special.

The A/B scenarios being so similar is a big time bummer. It really limits the game's replay value.

Most of the characters are one dimensional, and the dialogue/writing is bad at times. Before anyone says that the same criticisms also apply to the original game - the remake had 20 years to improve on the deficiencies of the original. Yet, in some cases, the remake is worse than the original. For example, Chief Irons is more one dimensional than he was in the original. The story is simple (not a criticism), but it unfolds in such a disjointed manner that I probably wouldn't have understood parts of it had I never played the original game. And the game is really short once you know how to beat it. I unlocked 100% of the achievements/trophies rather quickly, and I pretty much have no desire to return to the game. I haven't played it since the beginning of March.

All of that being said, it most definitely wasn't a failure. Like I said earlier, it's a solid game and a big step in the right direction. It just doesn't have much replay value. And there's plenty of room for improvement overall.

Back