Repainted James Bond

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice repaint, Tyler, considering that it can bear the close-up and you can really appreciate the overall result in your avatar. I do think the sculpt is great too and maybe the best among all production and custom Connery sculpts. I like the rich shades of browns for the hair and how you've managed to render the transition of hair strands where it meets the forehead, despite the way the hairline was molded in a hard border; why does this interest me? I have a 1:1 Connery head that hopefully doesn't take a few decades for me to start on, which has the hairline in the same hard border and I want to render the transition of hair just the way you did since that is noticeable in photos of Connery as Bond (despite the hairpiece from Dr. No onwards!)

Connery's tan complexion is particularly hard to nail, but I think you did that. The only thing I'd correct is the lack of transition between the pinkishness of the lips and the surrounding flesh; or depending how it looks in natural light, maybe the pink is too bright? As pointed out, a flaw in the sculpt I think is the upper lip, though I understand the difficulty in capturing the "unique" shape of many of Connery's features including the strange pout of his lips.

BTW, did you use oil? The blending looks too subtle for it to be acrylic. Though pastels generally provide finer blending than oil, I think that it could be too fine especially if the subject has a darker complexion and rugged features, so kudos to you if you managed to manipulate the oil and render the blending effectively in that scale.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the positive comments from everyone.

Nice repaint, Tyler, considering that it can bear the close-up and you can really appreciate the overall result in your avatar. I do think the sculpt is great too and maybe the best among all production and custom Connery sculpts. I like the rich shades of browns for the hair and how you've managed to render the transition of hair strands where it meets the forehead, despite the way the hairline was molded in a hard border; why does this interest me? I have a 1:1 Connery head that hopefully doesn't take a few decades for me to start on, which has the hairline in the same hard border and I want to render the transition of hair just the way you did since that is noticeable in photos of Connery as Bond (despite the hairpiece from Dr. No onwards!)

Connery's tan complexion is particularly hard to nail, but I think you did that. The only thing I'd correct is the lack of transition between the pinkishness of the lips and the surrounding flesh; or depending how it looks in natural light, maybe the pink is too bright? As pointed out, a flaw in the sculpt I think is the upper lip, though I understand the difficulty in capturing the "unique" shape of many of Connery's features including the strange pout of his lips.

BTW, did you use oil? The blending looks too subtle for it to be acrylic. Though pastels generally provide finer blending than oil, I think that it could be too fine especially if the subject has a darker complexion and rugged features, so kudos to you if you managed to manipulate the oil and render the blending effectively in that scale.

I used Humbrol oils. I have never tried a different type of paint, so as I have had about a seven year break I just thought go with what you know. This is my third repaint since I started again a few weeks ago.

Here is my practice one on a soldier story head with a before and after comparison. I know the eyes look wrong, but it was my first in a while.
picture.php

Here is my second. I'm mostly happy with it, but i'm going to redo the eyes.
picture.php

Here are a couple more of the Goldfinger bond.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I love seeing the more profile shots. Really nice work. The one showing the head's left side looks especially like Sean Connery.

Well, dude, if you think your eyes are wrong, then I wish I were able to be that wrong every time! It's a perfect job and I wouldn't touch anything!
To be perfectly honest with you, if I were to add something, it would maybe be a little more skin color variation according to the areas! But then again, even like that, it's near perfect and I know from experience that a photo never truly compares to the real thing, so in hand, it's probably perfect! :D

Ok. I watched The Man With The Golden Gun on Sky the other night, and decided to see what I could do with the Scaramanga figure.

So here it is. I'm still not sure on the Christopher Lee likeness, but it looks less toy like now so that pleases me.
picture.php

Last edited:
Ok. I have started to get back into painting after giving it a break for some years.

Here is my repaint of the Sideshow 12" Sean Connery as James Bond from Goldfinger that I finished earlier this week.

All comments welcome positive and negative.

picture.php

Thanks for looking

you've certainly got a talent for painting.
as to the likeness of the sculpt......
I'm thinking it's more prince charles than sean connery. :D

Ok. I watched The Man With The Golden Gun on Sky the other night, and decided to see what I could do with the Scaramanga figure.

So here it is. I'm still not sure on the Christopher Lee likeness, but it looks less toy like now so that pleases me.
picture.php

I think you just need to darken the hair and the eyebrows a little
goldengun.jpg

I think you just need to darken the hair and the eyebrows a little
goldengun.jpg

From that picture I would agree. But on my television it looked like he originaly had black/brown hair, and by the time he played Scaramanga there was a lot of grey in there. Also he had a good tan from what I could see. But of course my TV might be set up wrong. I'll grab some pictures off the net to see if I need to alter it.

Ok. I gave the Sideshow Roger Moore Live And Let Die Bond a go. Here it is. Let me know what you think, good or bad.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Your excellent repaints make me want to buy these figures, but I know I would be disappointed with the way they look out of the box :(

Very Nice. Man you're on a roll

Thank you.

Your excellent repaints make me want to buy these figures, but I know I would be disappointed with the way they look out of the box :(

Cheers.

They do look average when straight out of the box due to when they were made and bad body. But you can fix them up to look a lot better simply by padding out the body with tissue to give shoulders, chest, waist etc a more human/natural look. It makes what looks like badly tailored toy much more like a collectable, even without repainting the face.

Back