Red Sonja PF!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
both have been sexist for the last half century or more.

Conan-Red-Sonja-Top.jpg

Wrong. Most girls wouldn't be turned on by any dude wearing the outfit on the left. Most guys WOULD be turned on by a girl wearing the outfit on the right. There's a reason there aren't half naked guys in beer commercials or on billboards. Skin does NOT mean the same thing to both sexes.

Wrong. Most girls wouldn't be turned on by any dude wearing the outfit on the left. Most guys WOULD be turned on by a girl wearing the outfit on the right. There's a reason there aren't half naked guys in beer commercials or on billboards. Skin does NOT mean the same thing to both sexes.

I'm not really speaking to who gets turned on at what. I'm saying that if it is OK for a guy to run around in a loin cloth while fighting, it should be OK for a woman to run around in a loin cloth while fighting. Who gets turned on by that is secondary to what I'm talking about. Women's reactions to Jason Momoa/Khal Drogo and his similar outfits in Game of Thrones would also beg to differ. Many female friends and acquaintances have expressed open and often extreme blunt sexual interest in his character on the show and how he is dressed. I do realize we're talking about two separate artistic mediums, but I guess we just disagree on the sexism and skin meaning the same thing point and that is okay with me. It makes for good discussion.

The statue is not true to the character, ergo, semi-trash statue, ergo, semi-waste of money. Don't get me wrong, if I could poop gold I would buy it. We that are in limbo should not buy it.

OK, but I think the point I was trying to make my Friend was "Buy What you Like" not what ones personal interpretation is of the based on some said true representation of a character, I get where you are going or coming from if I had a endless income stream I could get what ever I wanted regardless but at the end of the day if a Piece does not make you go WOW! walk away.

But in my own defense I did kinda Vent :lol:lol:lol

Be Cool Hero
Al

Read recent conversations in the Ivy thread :wink1:
Some people are more concerned about potential future values.

Most times for a piece I really like I hope it just holds original value that way I am not tempted to sell it. The way ESs are going though that may even be a thing of the past.

By their very nature, museum pieces - whether they be statues, busts or portraits - call for inherent dignity, a sense of power and self-importance, and a kind of transcendent visionary look in what must be a relatively neutral facial expression. Indeed, it should come across like the famous person stopped and posed for a picture, presenting himself in a mythic, more-than-mere-mortal way. Think of the museum pieces SS has given us on Batman and Superman (PFs), or the Hall of Fame-style life-size DC busts. Look at those expressions and the stances. Strength. Immortality. Dignity. Now look at the plastic action figures you had as a kid, designed for small-fry priorities, or even non-museum pieces made today with brilliant sculpting: wild action poses matched by psychotic expressions. It's a different message, Mose Harper, a less sophisticated sensation you're seeking than the one a legitimate museum piece simply must provide in order to actually be a museum piece. You've blurred the distinctions, using (if you'll forgive me) a bogus charge of excessive sexism to bolster what amounts to an absurd argument. In any legitimate incarnation, Red Sonja will have sexy curves, just as Superman will have attractive muscles. It's known as being on-model. More to the point, you're mistaking the museum-perfect stance and expression of this Sonja statue for the vapidity of a mindless fashion model, while your chosen route ("Watch out, boys, I'm an ass-kicker!") happens to be on the sophistication level of child-oriented toys and comics. The one-dimensional warrior babe is at your throat, and that's that. But who is this particular woman warrior, this Red Sonja, that she's earned a special place as an actual museum piece? She is staring upward, at the heavens... perhaps at the Goddess she serves and obeys, the one that has given her super-strength to defeat powerful enemies and hold their severed heads up high. And therein lies the difference between what you want and what Sideshow is thankfully giving us: Like all “grown-up” statues designed for a museum, this piece captures the fascinating conflict within the character by giving her a supposedly neutral expression that actually speaks volumes (paging Mona Lisa!). Sonja is spiritual, on a higher plane, in touch with something of incredible grace… yet she must slaughter enemies on a regular basis. That pain, that dichotomy, is conveyed in her expression. Fate’s been exceptionally unkind to this woman (her ‘career’ begins with her rape), yet she accepts it with courage, dignity and the magic of hope that even years of bloodshed cannot completely override. Fascinating implications for sophisticated adult thinkers, and SS caught it all. They fashioned a genuine museum piece that provides this character’s prerequisite sexiness and fierceness, but upgraded it with the very human, very compelling soul of Red Sonja as part of the equation. With a pedestal all set and waiting, September can’t come soon enough.

Best post ever !

I imagine this being written by a man of large girth...smoking a cigar and drinking brandy ...and gently weeping as he types.

Best post ever !

I imagine this being written by a man of large girth...smoking a cigar and drinking brandy ...and gently weeping as he types.[/QUOTE]

Judge for yourself, SAB...Pumpky&Me.jpg

hope everyone keeps cancelling on this whole sexism kick... I'm still about 4 months back of the line lol

Awesome analysis Mose, I agree and disagree. I liked how you pointed out the cover is a domination pose and I for sure think it would work better with the severed head(used to instill fear whereas the enemy's weapon is more of a triumphant gesture and fits this victory pose nicely)... you hit the nail on the head with that one.

I don't think I can get upset about a sexualized statue of an already sexualized character tho. Supermodel pose, not really- I think her body is naturally the way it would be if she had a foot up in front of her with her arm raised- like this guy:
stock-photo-happy-businessman-in-a-victory-pose-109466165.jpg
sexy bastard

Back